Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How long does it take for Slic3r to save G-code?

Posted by robbycar 
How long does it take for Slic3r to save G-code?
May 21, 2014 10:32PM
I have done a part in Sketchup, exported STL into Slic3r, and this has been running for 90 minutes so far.

If I load the part complete file into an editor it shows 97k lines.

Is this normal?

Rob.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 11:32PM by robbycar.
Re: How long does it take for Slic3r to save G-code?
May 22, 2014 01:38AM
Sometimes slic3r just takes exceptionally long time to run, especially on detailed objects. 97K lines isn't _that_ much though, but as long as the file is growing at least you know it is still working.

I have on occasion run slic3r on my linux server via command line, so I can let it run for as long as it needs to while doing other stuff with my laptop...
May 22, 2014 02:12AM
There has been a couple of threads about insanely slow slicing - have also experienced it myself confused smiley

Some suggest turning off the "Avoid Crossing Perimeters" option.
It's located under: Print-settings->Layers-and-Perimeters->Quality(Slower-Slicing)

Please let us know if this speeds up your slicing.

Best regards,

Carsten
May 22, 2014 02:15AM
robbycar
..running for 90 minutes so far....Is this normal?.

If you have Print Settings\Layers and perimeters "Avoid crossing perimeter"s box ticked, yes

Erik
May 22, 2014 03:11AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. It did eventually finish after nearly 2 hours, and 250k lines!

I was using an imported settings file which did have the Avoid Crossing Perimeters checked.

This is now gone and I will see if the next one is quicker!

Rob.
May 22, 2014 03:32AM
I am a little ADHD when it comes to slicing - I want final results NOW!
I gave up on using Slic3r and went to Kisslicer which is sooooo much faster it's a joke! It also prints support that is FAR easier to remove - no cutting or chisels required! smiling smiley
Now I slice it several times, reviewing it and tweaking settings until I'm happy with the result, then save to .g
May 22, 2014 03:58AM
I like Slic3r, but it is slow..... Have a cofee, 3 coarse meal, take your young lady out to the pictures, and chances are it's about half way throu.
I've increased the number of threads by Processor Core times 1.5, which has helped.
It also doesn't get it right ALL the time and adds false floors in a print, which I had on one of the Big Blue designs. It was triggered by a screw hole.
I reduced the length of the screw hole by 1mm and it did it fine.
But, when it does it right it's pretty good...
I run Windoze8.1, and found I can peek in the Gcode file with NotePad while Slic3r is busy. Close NotePad, then look again, and Slic3r will have been busy building the file.

All Slicing software has a major job on it's hands filling in a design, some are quicker, but I like to stick to Slic3r even thou it might get it wrong sometimes.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
May 22, 2014 04:38AM
I don't know what version you are using but the latest 1.1.2 experimental is much faster at generating gcode, and I have not had any issues with it so far.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 22, 2014 07:55AM
Yes its normal. My record so far 6 hours ! ( I'm using latest 27" Imac. )
May 22, 2014 10:16PM
I changed the setting to allow crossing perimeters, and redid the slicing.

Did it the second time in less than 2 minutes!

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Rob.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login