Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mac: Pronterface error - custom buttons? [SOLVED]

Posted by Aagaard 
Mac: Pronterface error - custom buttons? [SOLVED]
May 23, 2014 03:49AM
Hi, I've just assembled my ormerod.
But as I get to the commissioning - I face major difficulties starting pronterface.

My problem is as follows:

Firstly I installed the pronterface app via the easy install - but didn't get the custom buttons. I then uninstalled (drag and dropped to the bin)
Secondly I tried using the hard way via the commisioning page as well (dosen't work)
Thirdly I followed these instructions, [anthony.liekens.net], and i get pronterface to run - but stille without the custom buttons.

And I'm out of good ideas. I preferably want an icon, as gotten via the easy install , which opens a fully functioning pronterface(with the custom buttons).

I've tried to install the easy install again and now pronterface won't run at all I get an error message (attached).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and/or fixes on the topic.

Br Sebastian

EDIT: After much research, most without luck I finally managed to work arraund the glitch in pronterface or the fact that it isn't made for mac. I followed the guide found [anthony.liekens.net]

This then left me with a pronteface demanding a launch from terminal - as i plan on using the web interface further along I'll settle with this for the initial commisioning. Pronterface is now without the custom buttons.

To get these buttons I revealed the hidden files in the user folder (the same as the printrun folder is located), opened: .prontsolerc. And then copied the text found here [github.com],

Voila - launch pronterface, and commissioning can beginsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 05:35PM by Aagaard.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 09.31.33.png (32.2 KB)
Re: Mac: Pronterface error - custom buttons?
May 23, 2014 06:39AM
I am only new at this, but I managed to get Printerface working ok.

But the new web interface works much better for me anyway and was very easy to install once I got the port bridged.

Rob.
May 23, 2014 07:03AM
robbycar

But the new web interface works much better for me anyway and was very easy to install once I got the port bridged.

Rob.

Will I then be able to avoid pronterface, even when having to do the initial commissioning?
May 23, 2014 07:05AM
Some parts of the initial setup might be simpler to do using pronterface, while others are actually better in the web ui (such as live view of Z probe values). It is now entirely possible to do everything through the web interface. Only reason I ever connect via USB is for firmware updates.
May 23, 2014 11:18AM
jstck
Some parts of the initial setup might be simpler to do using pronterface, while others are actually better in the web ui (such as live view of Z probe values). It is now entirely possible to do everything through the web interface. Only reason I ever connect via USB is for firmware updates.

Thanks for the tips so far. Jstck, vil this work when its only connected to power via the usb?
May 23, 2014 11:37AM
Powering only from USB can be troublesome even for just basic Duet operation. Most of the Duet runs from 3.3V which is obtained from an on-board regulator from the internal +5V rail. This needs about 4.5V minimum to work properly. The internal +5V rail can come from several sources; internal 12V to 5V regulator, USB, or external +5V feed. The last 2 have series Schottky diodes to ensure that the supplies are not trying to back feed and these will be dropping about 0.3V.

So that means you need a minimum of 4.8V coming in on the USB port. That is achievable providing the USB supply source is solid AND the cable is short and of high quality so that there is not too much voltage drop down the cable. The Duet does take quite a bit of current so it is very easy to have too much drop and you then end up running the Duet with less than 3.3V leading to unreliability.

If you have a meter you can check the input into the LM1117 regulator. If it is less than 4.5V then you have a problem. You can sometimes fix this with a powered hub and a short cable, or use one of the other sources of +5V which you will want to do anyway.
May 23, 2014 11:37AM
Hi Aagaard ,

I noticed the same issue as yours too. few months ago, I spent a week to search and ask around in others forum but without any solution. I contacted support, but sadly, their reply : Pronterface not really design for Mac, can't do anything with it.

I forced to use web interface and also Repetier-host.
May 23, 2014 11:38AM
Aagaard
jstck

Thanks for the tips so far. Jstck, vil this work when its only connected to power via the usb?

Some people have reported problems when the Duet is powered only from the USB, which seem to be due to the USB not supplying sufficient current to maintain the 5V supply when the stepper drivers are being operated. Laptops seem to be prone to having inadequate USB power capabilities, which some people have solved by putting a powered USB hub in between. So long as you don't have an early Duet board with the resistor fault, you can simply fit the jumper so that 5V is derived from the 12V rail - it will still power OK from the USB if the 12V PSU is switched off so there is no reason not to fit the jumper.

Dave
(#106)
May 23, 2014 05:44PM
tru168
Hi Aagaard ,

I noticed the same issue as yours too. few months ago, I spent a week to search and ask around in others forum but without any solution. I contacted support, but sadly, their reply : Pronterface not really design for Mac, can't do anything with it.

I forced to use web interface and also Repetier-host.

But how did you then end up doing the initial comissioning? I am very green, so all help are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Mac: Pronterface error - custom buttons? [SOLVED]
May 24, 2014 05:37PM
I managed to find a work arround the problem at hand. I have updated the topic text if anyone is interrested. Thanks for all the inputs!
Cheerssmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login