My modulated IR/ultrasonic hot end board: request for feedback
May 29, 2014 11:04AM
I've shipped over 50 of my z-height sensor + illumination + fan control kits, and I'm close to finalizing my new design for a height sensor (see [forums.reprap.org]). Before I do that, I'd appreciate some feedback from users of my existing board. So if you bought one of my boards and have at least tried to assemble and install it, please can you provide feedback, either in this thread or by PM. You might like to consider the following when composing feedback:

* Does you find that the height sensing gives repeatable results once you have calibrated it?

* Do you trust it to do the z-homing, or do you still set the height manually and send G92 Z0? Do you trust it to do bed compensation?

* Does the illumination work well?

* Does the fan control work well?

* Are you satisfied with the way the various cables connect to the board, or do you think it can be improved?

* Are you satisfied with the build quality?

* Do you think your kit was good value for money? [Please say which kit it was.]

* Are there any other features that you think could be usefully added? [The new one will have a led to indicate when the hot end heater is on, and I'm open to other suggestions.]

* Did you find the assembly instructions clear? [No need to repeat issues/suggestions that you have already reported and I have corrected.]

* Are there any other ways in which you think the board could be improved, perhaps to make assembly and installation easier?

Thanks in advance!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: My modulated IR/ultrasonic hot end board: request for feedback
May 29, 2014 12:24PM

* Does you find that the height sensing gives repeatable results once you have calibrated it?

have used the ultra sonic only, repeatable at temperatures as commissioned, draft can be a problem

* Do you trust it to do the z-homing, or do you still set the height manually and send G92 Z0? Do you trust it to do bed compensation?

I trust the probe but not the temperature around it (moving air in work shop), so within working hours I do check the zero on paper
I do not use any bed compensation

perfect

right on temp. target

* Are you satisfied with the way the various cables connect to the board, or do you think it can be improved?

Yes perfect, with the heater and temp probe cabling up the x+ side of the hot end its all in line

Couldn't be better

* Do you think your kit was good value for money? [Please say which kit it was.]

Kit 5, sure was

* Are there any other features that you think could be usefully added? [The new one will have a led to indicate when the hot end heater is on, and I'm open to other suggestions.]

not really...a small crash helmet for the IR? - nah...

* Did you find the assembly instructions clear? [No need to repeat issues/suggestions that you have already reported and I have corrected.]

Loud and clear

* Are there any other ways in which you think the board could be improved, perhaps to make assembly and installation easier?

not anything I can think of

Erik
May 29, 2014 12:29PM

Yes. I have to recalibrate whenever I have taken things apart, but once set it works perfectly. Not sure about the precision it gives, but in any case less than 0.1mm.

It does nothing but Z homing in my case, and it does that really well. I got the bed "mechanically levelled" and do not need any bed compensation. I tried to get it to work earlier, but my "white taped areas" were too small so I couldn't probe on them without removing the binder clips, which made it all too much of a hassle.

It works, but since I'm using that "BigBlur 360" behemoth, most of the light just gets blocked.

It does. After the improved Z probe, this is the second best feature.

It would be nice with one big connector for the whole wire loom to the board, or have them angled for easier access. The current ones are a bit fiddly to attach/reattach if I need to take off the hotend.

Yes. PCB and pre-soldered components seem very well-made.

I got the "full-blown" kit (whatever it was called, with the ultrasonic sensor). I can't say it seemed really cheap, but compared to the cost of the printer and how much better the Z probing got as a result of this upgrade, I think it's money well spent.

Yes.

The little printed arm (in your git repo) to make the sensor work for X endstop was hitting the Z gears and stepper motor axle when z-probing (or printing the first couple of layers). I modified that to get a bit more clearance, I'll pass that on.

None that I can think of off the top of my head.
May 29, 2014 01:05PM
Ormerod168 and jstck, thanks for your feedback.

jstck
The little printed arm (in your git repo) to make the sensor work for X endstop was hitting the Z gears and stepper motor axle when z-probing (or printing the first couple of layers).

I added sensorpad-modified.scad and .stl 25 days ago to [github.com], which I think should solve the problem for most users. Let me know if you don't think that one would work for you.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 29, 2014 01:11PM
I had a kit 4 I think, I found it very professionally presented and constructed. It was easy to assemble and fit and worked first time.

The illumination is sufficient and very helpful, the fan control is fantastic and the Z zeroing also works very well, I have my bed mechanically level so only use it for z height setting which seems perfectly adequate for it's purpose, I have not tried to measure repeat ability as I just fitted it and put it to work smiling smiley

Over all, an excellent add-on and good value for money.

Dave

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
May 29, 2014 01:32PM
dc42
I added sensorpad-modified.scad and .stl 25 days ago to [github.com], which I think should solve the problem for most users. Let me know if you don't think that one would work for you.

It probably would. I made the attached one at about the same time.
Attachments:
open | download - sensorpad-js2.stl (93.7 KB)
May 29, 2014 08:05PM
dc42
I've shipped over 50 of my z-height sensor + illumination + fan control kits, and I'm close to finalizing my new design for a height sensor (see [forums.reprap.org]). Before I do that, I'd appreciate some feedback from users of my existing board. So if you bought one of my boards and have at least tried to assemble and install it, please can you provide feedback, either in this thread or by PM. You might like to consider the following when composing feedback:

Yes it's OK

with white label it's working fine...

I'm not sure about the position...

I put the fan always on...

my dream is to get the card with the wires soldered on board

it's OK

for a micro-production... it's OK

let me dream... a small cam?

well done

Thanks in advance!

Thanks David
Best Regards
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
May 30, 2014 09:05AM
Dear DC42
Not the feedback you need, but I still ove it to you.
I have had no time to install the board, and will not have for another month, sorry.
Im still very happy for having the board (5), and even more so when reading the results on this thread.

Thanks
May 30, 2014 11:51AM
I bought a pre-built Kit 5 from you.

Does you find that the height sensing gives repeatable results once you have calibrated it?
Sorry, never was able to get repeatable results with it for either X or Z homing. Really needed to recalibrate it every time I used the printer.

Have mechanical bed compensation. I now use a switch for X homing and set Z manually but am considering also using a switch on the Z axis.

Yes very useful

Yes very good not to have the fan running continuously.

I thought that your cabling was a great and much needed improvement to the standard kit.

Build quality was very good.

Again pre-built Kit 5 and at an acceptable price.
Even though I have not had much success with the probing I am happy with the light, fan control, general tidiness etc. I have replaced my ormerod bed with an aluminium plate and also replaced the X axis with an aluminium one (both available through the forum). Realistically I think that these two upgrades have made my printer much more stable and would recommend anyone to do these upgrades first.

The led showing heater is on is a good idea

Clear instructions and easily assembled.

Generally, I have been happy with the board but do not think I would swap to your new board at present. I think that I will wait to see what developments there will be in the multiple hot-end line. But I do want to thank you for all the software development you have done over the lst few months.

Alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login