Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New hot end board: pre-order yours now!

Posted by dc42 
Re: New hot end board: pre-order yours now!
June 24, 2014 06:24AM
look forward to receiving. Thank you very much for the time and effort you're putting into this upgrade smiling smiley
June 24, 2014 12:45PM
Hi,

are all connectors included in your kit, or i have to buy some female connectors for the cables?

Greetings
June 24, 2014 03:29PM
muggi
are all connectors included in your kit, or i have to buy some female connectors for the cables?

If you buy the full kit then all the connectors are included. If you buy the upgrade kit then the female connectors are not included.

A crimp tool is recommended for attaching the female connectors, see the draft instructions at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 24, 2014 03:47PM
June 24, 2014 04:38PM
muggi
are these connectors the right ones?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/KIT-2x-BUCHSENLEISTE-STIFTLEISTE-4-polig-pins-10x-CRIMPKONTAKTE-Connector-PCB-/251419374929?pt=Steckverbinder&var=&hash=item3a89c33551

They look right, but it's hard to be sure. For the 4-pin connector I am using Farnell part # 143128 for the shell and 9731474 for the crimp receptacles.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 26, 2014 10:09AM
I have now sent PayPal requests to all those who pre-ordered the board. If you want a board but have not received the payment request, or if you have changed your mind, please PM me.

Updated installation and commissioning instructions with new photos are now at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. Now would be a good time to think about whether you want to get a crimp tool if you don't already have one, and to check that you have a 1.5mm hex key.

June 26, 2014 02:20PM
Can you send me a payment request for an upgrade board please, I had the mk1 without the ultrasonic if that makes a difference,

Thanks

Dave

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
June 26, 2014 03:08PM
Hi Dave.
I want to order 1 full kit.
Regards Torbjørn
July 03, 2014 06:56PM
Apologies to anyone who was expecting to receive their board today or tomorrow. A series of events has delayed shipment by a couple of days. However, I now have 18 boards programmed and fully tested. I have a semi-automatic test rig set up, so I am confident of testing the remaining boards and shipping all paid-up orders tomorrow.

One issue that surfaced late was that variation in the ADC gains between chips in combination with the low value (1K) thermistor series resistor on the Duet was making it difficult to distinguish between an open-circuit thermistor and a cold thermistor. This is similar to the problem that some Duet boards have, and was causing the fan to come on if the temperature dropped below 5C on some boards. The specification I am working to is that the fan should not be on if the temperature is between -5 and +36C. So I am now using the ADC on the board in differential mode to reduce the offset and get better resolution at low temperatures.

I took a look at the SAM3X datasheet to see whether a similar trick could be done on the Duet without changing the wiring. It looks possible, however it might result in the bed temperature interfering with the reported hot end temperature slightly. Alternatively, the hot end thermistor could be moved to a different pin.

July 04, 2014 11:36AM
I have just posted 35 hot end boards. This completes all the paid-up orders I have received, apart from one that I have been asked to delay sending.

UK orders should be delivered tomorrow or Monday, and European or international orders later next week. If you haven't received your board(s) by the end of next week, please PM me stating your delivery address (to save me trawling through PayPal transactions) and I will send you the tracking details. Or PM me sooner if you would like the tracking details before then.

Thank you all for your support. I'm sure you will like the board, but please PM or email me if you are not fully satisfied. Before the board arrives, you may want to check that you have the necessary tools and print the required plastic parts. You can find the installation instructions at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

July 04, 2014 02:49PM
Thanks David - looks like I need to get cracking printing the modified parts this weekend!

Dave
(#106)
July 05, 2014 05:09AM
Just received my board thank you David.

Looks very professional as expected!

Thanks for your continuing support for this amazing printer, which looking at some other 3D printer forums has made more significant improvements and developments in the short time since the Ormerod launch than they can ever expect to make!
(Not forgetting Dave for the excellent aluminium parts!)

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
July 05, 2014 09:29AM
Probe just arrived, nice one smiling smiley

July 06, 2014 12:58PM
Got it fitted, straight swap for the mk1 board, all tests passed 100% smiling smiley

Kudos to you DC42', the accuracy of this thing on plain glass is perfect, totally the right thing for the job smiling smiley

Love the height and hot end Led's too, very nice touch.

July 06, 2014 06:47PM
Thanks for your feedback Davek, I'm glad it is working well for you too.

July 07, 2014 07:43AM
Received mine also - looking forward to fitting it this evening.

Dave
(#106)
July 11, 2014 10:44AM
Mine arrived last Saturday. Fitted it straightaway. Brilliant! Well done, Dave, and thank you very much.

The one thing that doesn't seem to work as it should is the thermostatic fan control. With 12V applied, the fan is on all the time, whatever the temperature. But I do have one of those dodgy Duet boards with the temperature ADC that wasn't set up right, and my workaround has been to put a 150k resistor in parallel with the hot-end thermistor. I don't know whether that's got anything to do with the new thermostatic control not working. But it's not a problem.

Ken.
July 11, 2014 11:52AM
Hi Ken,

I'm glad the board is (mostly) working for you.

Regarding the fan control, at 25C the thermistor will have a resistance of 100K, but you have a 150K resistor in parallel with it, making 60K total. The hot end board (which doesn't have the large offset error of your Duet) will read this as a temperature of 36.5C, which is close to the trigger temperature. When the weather cools down, you will probably find it works OK.

As you don't live very far away from me (less than 1 hour along the M3 I think), if you want to bring your machine up here then I can do a hot end board firmware modification to account for the extra resistor. Alternatively, if RepRapPro will agree to it without voiding your warranty, I can change the 1K resistor on your Duet board to 4K7 (which is the value they have specified for the next version of the Duet) and add the resistor to your hot end board that tells it about this change. You can then dispense with the 150K resistor. At present, you would need to run one of my Duet firmware versions to allow you to tell it about the resistor change, but RRP's firmware will obviously have support for this in future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 11:56AM by dc42.

July 14, 2014 05:40AM
Hi Ken, I've just thought of another way that you could compensate for your extra 150K resistor. Installing a high value resistor (about 5.6M) on the board at position R24 should do the trick.

Best regards - David

July 15, 2014 11:20AM
Thanks very much for your last two postings, David. Very kind of you to offer to sort it out for me, but as I said before, it's not a problem. All my print files have a 'beginning' routine that switches on the fan, and an 'end' routine that switches off the hot-end heater, and then switches off the fan a minute later.

I did, however, try the suggestion in your second posting. I didn't have a 5M6 resistor handy, but neither a 3M3 nor a 6M8 resistor made any difference. I am taking my 12 V input to your board from the 'fan' output of the Duet board, which I turn on with M106 S255, and turn off with M106 S0. I'm guessing M106 S255 gives a steady 12 V, but if instead it's a PWMed 12 V with a large on : off ratio, perhaps that's confusing things??? Anyway, not a problem, so no need to spend any more of your time on it.

By the way, the Z sensing is working beautifully. Thanks again.

Ken.
July 15, 2014 11:57AM
I don't think David's board uses the 12V for anything except the fan and white LEDs, but I may be mistaken. If I'm correct your PWM will only affect the brightness of the illumination LEDs. David?

Dave
(#106)
July 15, 2014 01:20PM
dmould
I don't think David's board uses the 12V for anything except the fan and white LEDs, but I may be mistaken. If I'm correct your PWM will only affect the brightness of the illumination LEDs. David?

Dave
(#106)

Yes, that's correct. However, if you PWM or turn off the negative side of the 12V supply, then you will exceed the maximum gate/source voltage (8V) of the FDN337N mosfet, which in turn could damage the microcontroller. It would be safest to remove the mosfet (Q1) and put a 0 ohm resistor or wire link across R22. The schematic is at [github.com].

July 16, 2014 10:20AM
dc42, I've finished mounting your IR sensor board today without any problems, but I think it would be helpful for other users if you added a few lines about the Duet wiring to your blog entry on Wordpress. It took me a few minutes to find out how to connect the white and blue cables, but eventually found it here.

The board itself is working like a charm, thanks again for this! Seems like it's working reliably on a thin layer of glue stick, too. It doesn't interfere with my 4-pin PWM fan either, so fortunately I don't need to change anything on the board. Brilliant!
July 24, 2014 05:06AM
Hi dc42. Finally received your board here in South Africa. Just have one problem, two of the differential leds, D5 and D6 where completely bent backwards, probably happened somewhere along the shipping. I pushed them back up as best as I could. Can't get them as upright as the black one though. Just wanted to know if this will cause any significant problems with the sensor readings?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20140724_104434 (640x346).jpg (140 KB)
July 24, 2014 08:30AM
Hi moameen, I'm sorry to hear that your board was damaged in transit. The trigger height is affected by the angle of the LEDs. However, if the LEDs are at more or less the same angle and fairly close to upright, and the trigger height is in the right range (between about 2 and 3.5mm from the edge of the board to the bed), then it should work OK.

If you can't get a sensible trigger height, send me a PM and I will send you some new LEDs if you are happy to solder them yourself, or a replacement board if necessary.

July 29, 2014 09:15AM
Mine arrived today, all good and safe, he he.(we had a strike in south Africa which delayed it a bit)

thanks very much DC42, now just to find the time to install it, he he.

- Derrick
July 29, 2014 09:51AM
I'm glad it arrived safely. BTW it is possible to test the height sensing function before you commit to removing the old connectors from your Ormerod. To do this you connect the existing 3-pin z-probe loom connector to the 4-pin connector on the board. Take great care to use the correct 3 pins and get the connector the right way round. The red or pink wire must go to the pin labelled +3.3V on the back, and the black wire to the pin labelled Gnd. This should automatically place the blue wire on the pin labelled Out. Don't connect anything to the pin labelled In, or to the other connectors. Place the board on an insulating surface, then power up the Duet with USB power only. Hold the sensor board perpendicular to the bed with the sensitive edge facing down and move it towards the bed (not the white targets, some other part of the bed) until the red LED light up. This should happen when the board edge is about 1.5 to 2.5mm above the bed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login