Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assembling a 0.3 mm hot end

Posted by ellipse 
Assembling a 0.3 mm hot end
May 30, 2014 02:55PM
I'm asking here instead of Reprappro directly because I think the answer may be useful to others:

I would like to buid a second hot end with .3 mm nozzle. Are the parts available as a kit?
Alternatively, is it advisable to start from the Mendel hot kit? (available here: reprappro's Mendel hotend kit)
As far as I know, all parts are the same, except the fan is bigger on the Ormerod and the insulator is missing (not sure on the crimp connector and the PTFE tubes length is the same, though).
Re: Assembling a 0.3 mm hot end
May 31, 2014 07:12AM
Yes, they are available as a kit. The Ormerod Hot end kits are £29.91 plus tax (if applicable) and shipping. We can include a 0.3mm nozzle.
They will soon be up on the webshop. In the mean time if you send me over an email I can create an order for you.

Best wishes
Sally
RepRapPro Ltd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 07:13AM by SallyRepRap.
May 31, 2014 01:16PM
Great, I've just sent my order to you via PM.

Thank you!
June 06, 2014 11:28AM
Hot end kits now available on the webshop - [reprappro.com]

Sally
RepRapPro Ltd
June 06, 2014 03:22PM
Hi ellipse,

I am also thinking about a second hot end but I'm not sure if the benefits of a 0.3 mm nozzle is worth the expense.

I am assuming that the only advantage is that a finer quality print will be produced but it will take approx. 40% longer. Is this correct? Are there any other advantages?

Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
June 09, 2014 04:20PM
It will produce finer prints, but it doesn't take proportionately longer. This is because the infill can be made relatively coarser and so happens almost as fast as for a coarser nozzle. There is very little impact on strength when doing this.
June 10, 2014 07:01AM
SallyRepRap
It will produce finer prints, but it doesn't take proportionately longer. This is because the infill can be made relatively coarser and so happens almost as fast as for a coarser nozzle. There is very little impact on strength when doing this.

Although the speed limit for printing moves is, in my experience, limited by the maximum rate the extruder can push plastic rather than any mechanical constraint. I would think a smaller nozzle would reduce the maximum extrusion rate, which means that the print speed would have to be reduced proportionately - though I doubt by as much as 40%.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login