Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

attempting to extrude with no tool selected

Posted by hj14 
attempting to extrude with no tool selected
June 02, 2014 01:36PM
Hello,

I am trying to use newest duet firmware on my duet with duex, I have two extruders on the machine, I see right temperature, but when I try extrude material or heat the hottend I had this message:
Attempting to extrude with no tool selected
or
Setting temperature: no tool selected

And extruding or heating doesnt work at all, no move, no heating.
Re: attempting to extrude with no tool selected
June 03, 2014 04:29PM
You probably need to ask Tony at Think3DPrint3D, he's got the most experience with the Duet expansion board.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 30, 2014 03:37PM
Had same issue. Change extrude number, instead of counting from zero start counting from one. No idea why they changed this but that s what the problem was (at least on my ormerod smiling smiley )
July 30, 2014 04:03PM
Hi hj14,

If you are generating the model using slic3r, then the problem is that slic3r assumes the tools are numbered T0 and T1, but the Duet firmware assumes T1 and T2.

Here are two solutions:

1. In my blog entry at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], towards the end I provide a script to edit the files generated by slic3r to change the tool numbering. It also changes the M109 commands with T parameters generated by slic3r to the G10 commands recognized by the Duet firmware.

2. If you download my 0.78f-dc42 firmware (see [forums.reprap.org]) and add the command M563 S1 to your slic3r custom start gcode, then it will renumber the tools for you, and it also supports the T parameter in the M109 command.

You might also like to try the web interface at [github.com] in preferance to the USB port, it makes the Duet much easier to use.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 11, 2015 12:07PM
First off a big thanks to dc42 for all the knowledge on the Duet. I've been converting my Prusa i3 and for the most part have been living on your forum and blog posts.

Everything's running well except the Slic3r situation you denote... I tried adding the M563 S1 command but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. Would you be able to point me towards where I need to look to make sure the g code is selecting the right tool etc?

In the web UI I see the extruder listed as T0 (by default), in the trouble-causing g-code I do not see any tool selection code T0 for example... although T0 does run at the end of my config.g file

I'm sure I'll track this down by trial and error but thought I would ask the question.

Thanks again!
July 11, 2015 02:37PM
Since firmware version 1.04, the default has been to number the tools T0 and T1, which is what slic3r expects. This requires you to set up your config.g file so that the M563 commands number the tools as 0 and 1. If they show as T0 and T1 in the web interface, it sounds as though you have already done this. So you do not need the M563 S1 command in the start gcode and you must remove it.

Be aware that after you complete or cancel8 a print, both tools will be deselected, so you need to send T0 again before printing. So I recommend you put T0 at the beginning of your slic3r start gcode.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 13, 2015 07:52AM
An explanation of how tools are configured and enabled is here: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro
idex configuration problem
March 11, 2020 12:16AM
ereur

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 12:57AM by neetspeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login