Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r takes forever to export to G-Code

Posted by Sardi 
Slic3r takes forever to export to G-Code
June 03, 2014 01:31PM
I am working in Blender, and Ive shrunk the STL file down to 650kb, and facets from 142000 to 14200, Ive also done the triangulation with no errors, but Slic3r wont finish the export. Ive been waiting now for over 30min for the export, and the green bar is still at 1/5th and does not move (the program did not freeze).

You can download the file in question HERE

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 01:36PM by Sardi.
Re: Slic3r takes forever to export to G-Code
June 03, 2014 01:49PM
..and the winner is: Cura, less than a minute

Erik
June 03, 2014 02:05PM
Hi Erik, could you help me with the Ormerod settings for Cura? Where can I download them or are they the same as for Slic3r?
June 03, 2014 02:48PM
Hi Sardi

Cash made a plugin for ormerod you can find link to the files in this post:

[forums.reprap.org]

I use both as Cura don't do single walls very well

Erik
June 03, 2014 02:57PM
Sardi
I am working in Blender, and Ive shrunk the STL file down to 650kb, and facets from 142000 to 14200, Ive also done the triangulation with no errors, but Slic3r wont finish the export. Ive been waiting now for over 30min for the export, and the green bar is still at 1/5th and does not move (the program did not freeze).

You can download the file in question HERE

Have you reported this via the slic3r forum and/or the issue tracker? See [slic3r.org].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 03, 2014 03:00PM
The checkbox Print Settings -> Layers and perimeters -> Avoid crossing perimeters usually makes Slic3r quite slow, and in some cases it can make it take hours. If that is checked, try unchecking it and see if it gets better.
June 03, 2014 05:30PM
I loaded the town_model into slic3r 1.1.2 Avoid crossing perimeters unchecked. G code produced and exported in 3minutes 5 seconds. Machine is Quad Core2 (not i series) WIndows 7 64.
June 04, 2014 07:14AM
ormerod168
Hi Sardi
Cash made a plugin for ormerod you can find link to the files in this post:
[forums.reprap.org]
I use both as Cura don't do single walls very well
Erik

Thanks for that. I will download it all and continue with Cura for this file.

dc42
Have you reported this via the slic3r forum and/or the issue tracker? See [slic3r.org].

Did not yet, but I will. Since even with "avoid crossing perimiters" unchecked, the Slic3r wont finish the export.

bobtidey
I loaded the town_model into slic3r 1.1.2 Avoid crossing perimeters unchecked. G code produced and exported in 3minutes 5 seconds. Machine is Quad Core2 (not i series) WIndows 7 64.

Lucky you, that does nothing for me.
June 04, 2014 05:17PM
bobtidey

I misread your post earlier.

Now I did the export with slic3r 1.1.2 and as you said, a couple of minutes with "avoid crossing perimeters" unchecked.
But when I check it - 30min or more.........
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login