Re: New firmware 0.65e-dc42 and web interface 0.90
June 09, 2014 09:12AM
Hi David

I am having an issue with firmware 65e and web0.90. I have had a couple of occasions where the web interface does not report the firmware version and the some of the controls are not available. The reprap.htm and reprap.js shows the correct 0.90 versions. This happened a few days ago and after resetting the machine several times the firmware appeared in the setting tab of the web page and all was good again. i then had a reoccurance this morning and have not been able to get the problem to go away. The web page connects to the printer ok and the printer name appears correctly. The homing buttons operate but i get no position feed back from the printer, and they do not change colour.The stop and pause buttons do not work. The temp readings do not respond although the heaters do start when the buttons are pressed and show the correct temps in pronterface. The sd file list is empty. i can connect through pronterface and the firmware version is shown correctly. i can upload files and they then appear in the sd card list. i have tried reloading the firmware but this has made no differance.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.PNG (191.7 KB)
open | download - WEB.PNG (22.3 KB)
June 09, 2014 09:37AM
There may be a different reason for what's happening with yours, 3djim, but I've noticed similar effects if I connect to the Duet with a browser window when there's already another browser window connected to it.

Ken.
June 09, 2014 09:41AM
Treito
The progress bar hung after the last big print. See attached picture.

Did the print complete? If so, then it probably just means that the filament requirement and/or usage was computed incorrectly. The progress bar stops updating when the printer tells the web interface that it is no longer SD card printing, which is usually a few gcodes before the head stops moving. The progress bar restarts from zero when you do a new print.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 09:42AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 09, 2014 09:45AM
Treito
14:58:11 Program static ram used: 42044 Dynamic ram used: 38476 Recycled dynamic ram: 1400 Current stack ram used: 1288 Maximum stack ram used: 2280 Never used ram: 14104 Last reset 00:01:34 ago, cause: watchdog Last software reset code & available RAM: 0x0000, 16160 Error status: 0 Bed probe heights: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 Free file entries: 10

Regarding the reset problem.

That watchdog reset suggests a serious software issue. Can you post a zipped gcode file that causes this problem if you print it/pause/reset/re-print it, and say at approximately what point you paused it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 09:46AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 09, 2014 09:49AM
3djim
Hi David

I am having an issue with firmware 65e and web0.90. I have had a couple of occasions where the web interface does not report the firmware version and the some of the controls are not available. The reprap.htm and reprap.js shows the correct 0.90 versions. This happened a few days ago and after resetting the machine several times the firmware appeared in the setting tab of the web page and all was good again. i then had a reoccurance this morning and have not been able to get the problem to go away. The web page connects to the printer ok and the printer name appears correctly. The homing buttons operate but i get no position feed back from the printer, and they do not change colour.The stop and pause buttons do not work. The temp readings do not respond although the heaters do start when the buttons are pressed and show the correct temps in pronterface. The sd file list is empty. i can connect through pronterface and the firmware version is shown correctly. i can upload files and they then appear in the sd card list. i have tried reloading the firmware but this has made no differance.

I think you are running my 0.90 web interface with RRP's 0.65e firmware. The two are not compatible. You need to use either my 0.65e-dc42 firmware, or RRP's version of the web interface.

June 09, 2014 09:52AM
KenF
There may be a different reason for what's happening with yours, 3djim, but I've noticed similar effects if I connect to the Duet with a browser window when there's already another browser window connected to it.

Ken.

I tested using 2 browsers to access the web server at the same time, and worked OK. But I didn't do very extensive testing with two browsers. Trying to upload files from both browsers at the same time would certainly be problematic.

June 09, 2014 10:16AM
Hi David

I am running your firmware. Reprapfirmware-065e-dc42.bin. although the printer is doing some strange things. The web interface appears to be working again and i have all the buttons working ok. the axis home correctly and show in blue. the temp readings are correct and updating. the printprogress is showing correctly but i still dont have a version for the firmware showing in the settings tab. On the message tab the message log shows a M503 command being sent about every 3 or 4 minutes not sure if this correct or not.
June 09, 2014 10:37AM
dc42
Can you post a zipped gcode file that causes this problem if you print it/pause/reset/re-print it, and say at approximately what point you paused it?

No problem. The point does not matter but mostly I reset if the filament does not stick on the bed that means during the first layer. The problem only occurs if I resend the same file. I think if I send another file there is no problem. The reset happens after homing the axes and before the extruder starts heating.

I also tried your Slic3r settings that you posted some times ago, but these files does not work for me, unfortunately, because I have some quality issues. Can you move the z-axis that fast? More than 100 mm/min and it gets stuck, the motor blocks for a while and so on, loosing the precision of the axis.
Attachments:
open | download - fan_deflector_v4_2.gcode.zip (247.8 KB)
June 09, 2014 10:47AM
3djim
I am running your firmware. Reprapfirmware-065e-dc42.bin. although the printer is doing some strange things. The web interface appears to be working again and i have all the buttons working ok. the axis home correctly and show in blue. the temp readings are correct and updating. the printprogress is showing correctly but i still dont have a version for the firmware showing in the settings tab. On the message tab the message log shows a M503 command being sent about every 3 or 4 minutes not sure if this correct or not.

I just found that the printer sends the M503 command whenever you switch to the settings tab, and the results are shown both as config.g listing on the settings tab, and in the message log when you switch to that tab. I guess Matt wrote it that way so that the config.g listing on the Settings tab is always up to date.

On the other hand, the firmware version is only fetched when the web interface was not in the Connected state and you press Connect. You can send M115 to get the firmware version.

Please use M115 to check that you really do have version 0.65e-dc42 installed. If you downloaded the firmware file from the master branch in my fork, you will have got RRP's 0.65e instead.

June 09, 2014 10:53AM
Treito
I also tried your Slic3r settings that you posted some times ago, but these files does not work for me, unfortunately, because I have some quality issues. Can you move the z-axis that fast? More than 100 mm/min and it gets stuck, the motor blocks for a while and so on, loosing the precision of the axis.

The maximum z-axis speed set in the firmware by default is 3mm/sec so 180mm/min. This works fine for me. You can adjust the max speeds and accelerations in config.g. This is what I use:

M201 X800 Y800 Z10 E350	; set accelerations, increase E
M203 X12000 Y12000 Z180 E3000 ; increase max X, Y and extruder speeds

I've only had problems with z-axis movement when either the threaded rod needed lubricating or the z-gears were meshing too tight.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 10:55AM by dc42.

June 09, 2014 11:14AM
That is strange, because I can use speeds far beyond this for example 360mm/min and much more. BTW the other printing was finished, but looked awful.

Edit: My values in the config.g were totally wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 11:26AM by Treito.
June 09, 2014 11:16AM
Treito
dc42
Can you post a zipped gcode file that causes this problem if you print it/pause/reset/re-print it, and say at approximately what point you paused it?

No problem. The point does not matter but mostly I reset if the filament does not stick on the bed that means during the first layer. The problem only occurs if I resend the same file. I think if I send another file there is no problem. The reset happens after homing the axes and before the extruder starts heating.

Thanks, I can reproduce the reset problem. Looking into it now.

One thing I notice is that you are using absolute extruder distances. Although my firmware contains a fix to support this, it is recommended that you use relative extruder distances with the Duet firmware. This also explains why the progress bar finished at 78% instead of near 100%. When you use absolute extruder distances, slic3r inserts G92 E0 commands every few lines to reset the extruder distance to 0. The web interface attempts to detect these resets and work out what has happened. However, because the web interface only asks for the data about once a second, it is probably missing some of these. So the web interface is under-reporting the total filament extruded, hence under-calculating progress.

June 09, 2014 11:36AM
dc42
Thanks, I can reproduce the reset problem. Looking into it now.

One thing I notice is that you are using absolute extruder distances. Although my firmware contains a fix to support this, it is recommended that you use relative extruder distances with the Duet firmware. This also explains why the progress bar finished at 78% instead of near 100%. When you use absolute extruder distances, slic3r inserts G92 E0 commands every few lines to reset the extruder distance to 0. The web interface attempts to detect these resets and work out what has happened. However, because the web interface only asks for the data about once a second, it is probably missing some of these. So the web interface is under-reporting the total filament extruded, hence under-calculating progress.

That sounds good. It is not a big problem, but a little bit annoying. I would like to use your settings posted some times ago, so I would use relative distances, but I have a strange problem starting with the skirt. The filament does not stick on the bed. If I use the simple settings there is much more filament used for the skirt and it sticks perfectly. Maybe the first layer itself is also affected. Sorry that is a little bit offtopic.

But many thanks for helping with the z-axis setting. No it works perfectly. I can use your settings.
June 09, 2014 12:18PM
For the skirt settings in slic3r, you can set a minimum extrusion length. I currently use 1 loop, 10mm from object, 1 layer high, and 15mm minimum extrusion. So for small prints it does several loops.

That reset seems to be specific to your file. I can pause/reset/reprint my own files any number of times, but the moment I print yours after pausing/resetting one of mine, it resets. So it isn't to do with printing the same file again, it's to do with starting your file after a pause/reset. But I have an idea of what might be causing it.

June 09, 2014 12:34PM
Thanks but I found the error. As in most cases it was ... in front of the monitor. Like every starter in 3D printing I had trouble with the PLA that it did not stick. I do not why exactly but during my searching for the error I increased the first layer to 0.5mm. And to get no problems during printing (extruder motor stuttering) I raised the z-axis about 0.5mm. Now I lowered the z-axis down and I can use your optimized settings and the print also does not look like a spider web anymore. But I have to wait for the finishing.

I can change my files as soon as I know what is the problem. I would thing that homing the axes causes the problem (G28 I think). Many changes came from the original settings imported from pronterface or from the building instructions (linked files there).
June 10, 2014 06:17AM
Hi David

I have updated the firmware to your 0.65f-dc42 and the printer is working fine again. many thanks for your help. maybe i did install the wrong branch of the firmware.
June 10, 2014 07:27AM
3djim
Hi David

I have updated the firmware to your 0.65f-dc42 and the printer is working fine again. many thanks for your help. maybe i did install the wrong branch of the firmware.

Thanks for letting me know. I've deleted the RRP binaries from my github repository to avoid confusion in the future. I never meant to have them there, but I forgot the the merge from the RRP repository would pull them across.

June 10, 2014 07:49AM
Hi David,
Using 0.65e-dc42 firmware and web interface 0.90.

A test print has just finished and for some reason the number of layers reported is double what it should be. I noticed this yesterday with all the prints I did but I don't think it was double, more like triple if I remember correctly.
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Attachments:
open | download - screen shot.pdf (101.6 KB)
June 10, 2014 07:55AM
appjaws1
Hi David,
Using 0.65e-dc42 firmware and web interface 0.90.

A test print has just finished and for some reason the number of layers reported is double what it should be. I noticed this yesterday with all the prints I did but I don't think it was double, more like triple if I remember correctly.
Paul

What is the layer height set to according to the web interface? If 5mm is being calculated as 50 layers it suggests the layer height is set to 0.1mm

Dave
(#106)
June 10, 2014 08:12AM
Hi Paul,

Check the layer height setting as Dave suggests. However, if you configure your custom gcode in slic3r to output a layer_height comment at the start of the file, then the web interface should display that on the Print Status tab and use that figure instead.

June 10, 2014 08:13AM
David,

No layer height is 0.2

Could it be that I have added "layer_height = [layer_height]" to the custom g-code in slic3r

Attached is the g file

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - curve-test-support.gcode (412.9 KB)
June 10, 2014 08:17AM
Hi Paul, the layer_height comment needs to be near the start of the file for the firmware to pick it up. It's only the filament used that it looks for at the end, because that is where slic3r puts it (presumably, it doesn't know how much filament is needed until the end). EDIT: I just noticed that you have one there as well as at the end.

Did the web interface display the object height correctly?

EDIT:

1. When you print that piece, what does the web interface report as the layer height on the Print Status page (not the Settings page)?

2. It might be worth trying with firmware 0.65f-dc42 because one of the two fixes in that release might be relevant.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 08:25AM by dc42.

June 10, 2014 09:40AM
dc42
Hi Paul, the layer_height comment needs to be near the start of the file for the firmware to pick it up. It's only the filament used that it looks for at the end, because that is where slic3r puts it (presumably, it doesn't know how much filament is needed until the end). EDIT: I just noticed that you have one there as well as at the end.

Did the web interface display the object height correctly?

EDIT:

1. When you print that piece, what does the web interface report as the layer height on the Print Status page (not the Settings page)?

2. It might be worth trying with firmware 0.65f-dc42 because one of the two fixes in that release might be relevant.

David,
Yes the object height was correct at 5.0mm
I can not see a layer height reported on the Print Status page unless you mean layer 50 of 25
I'll try your latest firmware next.

This is really strange, I have just started the same print again (new upload) and the web interface is reporting everything correctly.

So what caused the false readings before remain a mystery.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
June 10, 2014 10:06AM
"You must edit your custom gcode in slic3r. Change T0 to T1". I use Cura is it possible to do this in Cura without manually editing the gcode file.It`s probably something simple butI can`t see how to do it.
Thanks
June 10, 2014 10:12AM
jondel
"You must edit your custom gcode in slic3r. Change T0 to T1". I use Cura is it possible to do this in Cura without manually editing the gcode file.It`s probably something simple butI can`t see how to do it.
Thanks

In the Cura settings, look at the Start/End GCode. If there are any T0 commands, change them to T1. if there are any G10 P0 commands, change them to G10 P1.

June 10, 2014 10:38AM
Thanks dc42

"In the Cura settings, look at the Start/End GCode. If there are any T0 commands, change them to T1. if there are any G10 P0 commands, change them to G10 P1."

The only code I have got is this (not much of it)

Start

;TweakAtZ-state1
;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
;Print time: {print_time}
;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
;M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
;M109 S{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
M106 S0
G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
M83 ; use relative distances for extrusion
M203 X6000 Y6000 Z500 E3000 ; will allow 100mm/s sliced gcodes to work... if they have time/distance to get up to speed
G1 Z5 F200 ; lift nozzle
G1 X2 Y50 F2000; Go to wait for warm position
M116; Wait for all temperatures

End

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
G1 X2 Y190; park the machine
M106 S0
M0; stop

And that`s it.I can give you the current profile.ini and preferences .ini if that`s any use.
Thanks
June 10, 2014 11:04AM
dc42
Heater 0 is the bed heater, so your G10 command was commanding the bed to 190C. This is how RRP's 0.65e firmware behaves, and my fork has inherited that behaviour after the merge. But I'm not so sure it is a good idea, so maybe I should make a change to treat P0 as an error in the G10 command.

Well, it's not necessarily "wrong" of the G10 command to also treat P0 = heater 0 = bed heater (and P1 and onwards be extruders). Should just be defined/clarified/documented what G10 P0 means (error, bed heat, or just ignored). Though the other parameters (X/Y offset) don't really make sense for the bed, and G10 P0 does nothing not already covered by M140. That is, unless the "standby temperature" (R parameter) has any meaning for the bed.
June 10, 2014 11:12AM
I agree, it's not necessarily wrong. However, the headline description for the G10 command on the RepRap wiki page is "Tool offset", and tool 0 is typically used to mean "no tool". So it doesn't seem appropriate to me to use this command to set the bed temperature.

My main concern is that if you accidentally specify tool 0, you end up heating the bed to what may be a much higher temperature than you normally use, which may damage it (if you haven't reprinted various parts of the Ormerod in ABS) and present a safety hazard (because you are used to being able to touch the bed even when it is at PLA printing temperatures).

June 10, 2014 03:40PM
David,

Sorry but the problem is back.
After the printer has been powered down I have reverted to the original fan and as a test printed the same item as before ( the one where I attached the g-code)
At the moment the information line is saying 88% completed, Layer 45 of 25, Filament 697 of 777.

The object height is correct at 5.0mm and the web interface is set at a layer height of 0.2
I can not see a layer height reported on the Print Status page unless you mean layer 50 of 25

So what caused the false readings is a mystery and seems to be random.

Paul

PS it is now saying Layer 50 of 25 and the print has completed.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
June 10, 2014 04:21PM
OK Paul, I'll try that print myself.

EDIT: are you using 0.65f yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 04:22PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login