Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For Sale:- Ormerod Printer smileys with beer

Posted by KimBrown 
For Sale:- Ormerod Printer smileys with beer
June 25, 2014 09:13PM
Hi, this is written towards people thinking about buying a ready made and working Ormerod 3D printer, it works very well now, and will be sadly missed..
The machine is fully working, multi-coloured (due to upgrades), and can be seen working and with my full backup and support.
It's fitted with an X-axis MicroSwitch upgrade that works 100% of the time.
Z-axis MicroSwitch (my owen tilt design) that works 100% of the time.
Iamburny's Ver 7 Belt tensioner.
Upgraded IamBurny's gears herring bone gears on both Z-axis and Extruder.
Prints on Plain CLEAN glass perfectly. (Both Original glass and 4mm float glass (Normaly used).
Ally Bed Upgrade, so runs without Bed Compensation (and can be setup with a DTI very accurately).
Comes my DTI adaptor for Bed leveling.
Fitted auto Nozzle cleaning (Owen design).
Fitted Twin Fan Big Blue 360 Complete (Owen Design), which produces near perfect Bridges up to 80mm (or more) long.
Upgraded HotEnd Connections.
Programmed with DC42s Firmware, which is very good, and is progressing nicely.

Reason for selling, is I have limited free time and while I have some grand ideas for the machine, I just don't seem to have the time in the right place (I work on a ship so am captive for two weeks a month) to implement them. As well as I'm now heavily into Flying Drones (DTI Phantom) now the sun's shining.
Please PM me with a sensible offer, as I don't want to put it down the Ebay route. If your thinking of buying an Ormerod that's pre-assembled and works well.
Am based in Dover, but travel the country for both work and family, so delivery isn't to much of a problem, if your flexible on time.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: For Sale:- Ormerod Printer smileys with beer
June 26, 2014 09:50AM
That really surprises me, Kim - a 3D printer is extremely useful to have in conjunction with any modelling or R/C flying hobby, even if its services are only needed every couple of months.

Dave
(#106)
June 26, 2014 04:42PM
Yeah, the excuse I made up for myself to get a 3D printer in the first place was to make motor brackets and such for my multicopters. And I couldn't imagine selling something I spent that much time tinkering with and improving.
June 30, 2014 10:13AM
jstck
Yeah, the excuse I made up for myself to get a 3D printer in the first place was to make motor brackets and such for my multicopters. And I couldn't imagine selling something I spent that much time tinkering with and improving.

I'm now on MkV of my quadcopter - the body is 100% 3D printed.

Dave
(#106)
June 30, 2014 03:22PM
Hmmmmm, after weeks of not using the printer... About 6 or 8 I think. I leveled the bed.... Plugged it in.... And ya know, the only thing that didn't work was MY BRAIN.... eye rolling smiley
Could I think of the Gcode (G92) to set the Z height after refitting the HotEnd... I had to cheat and look it up in the config.g file..... Doh!!!!!
It's printing the first print perfectly.....

So I'm really thinking it's to good to get rid of.... I think it'll be going to work with me tomorrow on the ship.... Again...

July 01, 2014 03:29AM
dmould
I'm now on MkV of my quadcopter - the body is 100% 3D printed.

Dave
(#106)

This sounds very interesting Dave.
I have some experience with engineering and electronics, so home design and build is what I would aim for.
I don't have any experience with quadcopters, or R/C flying - so my question is: where is a good place to start?
Greg

Ormerod #17
July 01, 2014 04:27AM
as an experienced (3.5 years) multicopter pilot, i recommend DO NOT buy a DJI Phantom...this thing teaches you anything. you won't learn to fly on your own winking smiley i use as flightcontroller mostly a nanowii. this uses as software MultiWii (http://multiwii.com). for some fun videos, look at a buddy of mine: [vimeo.com]
July 01, 2014 03:33PM
I've just printed this: [www.thingiverse.com] its my first multi rotor and its nearly ready to fly! it printed great on the ormerod and if I break anything I can just print a replacement, the two hobbies go well together in my opinion.
July 01, 2014 07:14PM
I have printed a hovership as well, and it does fly really well. Just made it in PLA, but I've done some replacement bits in PET and nylon (Taulman T-glase and 645) which seems a lot stronger.
I mostly fly larger quadcopters though, and in that case printing the whole thing isn't really practical. I make the frames out of wood (regular pine), it is light, strong, and somewhat vibration dampening, and making other bits (mounts and brackets) 3D printed.

I agree with the DJI Phantom. While it is a really well-built machine, it is a bit "too nice" to fly, and ridiculously stable to the point it feels very stiff and somewhat limited in what you can do with it. It is a bit like comparing a more expensive ready-built 3d printer (like a Makerbot) to a RepRap. It will be quicker to get it up and running and better tuned from the start, but the RepRap does offer a bit more of a challenge, a lot more things to learn from it, and in the end after some tinkering is more versatile and fun to use.
July 01, 2014 07:33PM
I disagree with x4FF3, as the Phantom FC40 has proved incredably stable, even flying in 25knt winds with 30knt gusts (the gusts waited until it was 200ft in the air mind you, and it was struggling in that strength) but maintained attitude and postion faultlessly. I know they had allot of teething problems in the beginning. Even props coming off, but they have fixed it all now.
Switching off GPS and using Attitude mode I was flying it around in woods on a fairly windy day again, faultlessly on the second flight. With that said I have flown before, and have a couple of Diesel Hellies in the loft, waiting for me to get them down again.
The only problem I've found so far is the WiFi video could do with a booster. The Phantom has proved it's self. I tested the Lost Signal facility on it soon after buying it, which felt very odd. It was in a stable hover, I turned the transmitter off delibrately, and after a few seconds it went from 5m up to 20m verticaly very gracefully, Flew slowly across to the Homing point, and lowered it's self down a treat for a perfect landing. Again on a breezy day.
I've found flying an X4 is good indoors and outside to, but it's prone to wind and back drafts. I like it allot.

I think the Phantom would be a good starting Quad/Multi for any one who hasn't flown before. As it would teach you to get your head around the idea of how to control an aircraft fly towards you as well as away from you.
Just dont try to fly it indoors, it's just to big to fly in a confined area.
And if you started in GPS mode, which helps a great deal, if you get lost of what your doing you can just let go of the sticks, and it will hover there.
Anyway, we're more than abit off topic here..

July 04, 2014 10:34PM
Hi,

I think Kim should keep the Ormerod, you'll need to print parts for your multirotor. I'm Multiwii user too, and Warthox mentioned in that link is well known for his flying skill .I like DJI too. Naza FC are good in its stability and safe to fly with GPS . it depends what type of flying style you need.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login