Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New filament reel, new hot end temperature?

Posted by Sardi 
New filament reel, new hot end temperature?
June 28, 2014 04:05PM
I have read on a couple of web sites that by changing the reel (but staying with PLA), sometimes temperature adjustment is needed.
I am now at my new reel (gray PLA) and have gone from 185/180 to 190/185 hot end, the bed is still 85/80.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Do I have to experiment with the temperatures at the start of a new reel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 04:38PM by Sardi.
Re: New filament reel, new hot end temperature?
June 28, 2014 05:31PM
I have just increased the bed temperature to 90, cause the new filament does not stick that well even if the glass is clean of debris and washed with vinegar.
June 28, 2014 08:49PM
I have found different types of filament (mostly from different manufacturers) to behave a little bit differently, but I have temperature settings that work fine with all of them (185/180&60). The only thing I really need to change is the filament diameter. Most are 1.73-1.76mm (averaged from a few readings, and for all of those I just leave it at 1.74 in Slic3r), but I have a couple of "outliers". On all my reels, I have put a label with among other things the measured diameter of the filament.
June 29, 2014 03:13AM
You need to try and test to obtains the optimum temperature for a specific reel of filament.
I have my filament ordered from ebay even the same pla filament from the same vendor
or different color can have different properties which require different temperature setting.
Good luck!
June 29, 2014 05:38AM
I also know this problem even though I was not able to print very much. The delivered PLA filament printed fine with a temperature setting 185/57 even direrctly on the glass bed. My second filament needs a temperature of 200 at 185 it cannot leave the extruder. And it does not stick very good even on kapton tape. Maybe it is because it is a transparent filament.
I often read that you often have to change the bed temperature with a new roll, even if you have one from the same vendor and the same colour!
June 29, 2014 06:35AM
Well, there is a lot of "fuzziness" in those reports. Things need a bit of adjustment, and people try whatever they can until things suddenly work, and they then attribute that to whatever they think they changed last.

While there are some variations between filaments, I don't think different temperature should be a huge factor between spools of "normal PLA". Transparent/translucent ones probably require different temperatures to work, as it is a bit different from regular PLA.

I have 8 spools of PLA in 7 different colors from 3 different places, and they all print fine with the same temperature settings. Maybe I'm just very lucky and have got exceptionally similar filaments, but I doubt that.
June 29, 2014 03:14PM
jstck
I don't think different temperature should be a huge factor between spools of "normal PLA". Transparent/translucent ones probably require different temperatures to work, as it is a bit different from regular PLA.

Maybe there is no differnce, but I could extrude the delivered filament at 185°C without any problems. My yellow-half-transparent (or how it is called) does not extrude at 185°C. It cannot leave the nozzle and the extruder gears are hopping even if the nozzle is far far away from the bed. Increasing the temperature at 200°C and I have no problems at all. At 190°C or 195°C it starts to extrude but maybe can be bleocked if tthe temperature falls down just a little bit. I was astonished, too, because it should extrude at 185°C according to the datasheet, but the manufacturer also seperates between PLA and T-PLA. I have also solid black PLA from the same manufacturer, but I did not test it yet. I only now, that I will not buy another T-PLA from that manufacturer.
June 30, 2014 04:08AM
I always use 205C for all PLA - I found it worked pretty well and since then haven't looked back! smiling smiley
The quality of the prints I'm getting with the Ormerod is astonishing! I had a manufacturer flabbergasted when I showed him some of the things it has printed. He has 2 machines of 3x and 30x the price which don't produce much better prints! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login