Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 0.78 from RepRapPro

Posted by droftarts 
New firmware 0.78 from RepRapPro
July 03, 2014 09:51AM
Blog post: [reprappro.com]

New Ormerod Firmware – Version 0.78

We are releasing a new version of the RepRap Firmware that drives the Ormerod: Version 0.78 in the master branch on our Github repository. Instructions on how to upgrade your firmware are here. Enhancements at this release include:

1. Full support for the Duet multi-extruder expansion board. A single Duet on its own, and one fitted with the expansion board, now run with identical firmware.

2. The first tool defined (usually in config.g) is automatically selected as active. This saves time and mistakes on single-head machines such as Ormerod. It means that you should set the tool’s temperatures to 0 initially to stop it heating up when the Duet is reset. Thus config.g should contain two lines like:

M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 1 to use extruder drive 0 and heater 1 (heater 0 is the hot bed)
G10 P1 S0 R0 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures

3. Default PID values changed for better temperature control and faster warm-up.

4. Bed standby temperature can now be defined so it can keep warm after a print is finished. M140 R30 will set the stanby to 30C, for example.

5. Look-ahead buffer increased in length for smoother prints.

6. All moves are computed multidimensionally. The accelerations allowed and the maximum and minimum velocities are all computed for whichever combination of drives (both axes and extruders) are moving.

7. For multi-extruder systems extruder moves are specified as lists: G1 X20 E0.7:0.3, or – if all the values are the same – just the first list entry can be sent. So G1 X20 E0.5 means the same as G1 X20 E0.5:0.5

8. Rolling averages of probe and temperature readings adjusted to give good noise immunity while retaining speed of response.

The need to have the same code with and without the expansion board changes the pins for the ZProbe wiring. The new Duet expansion header pins for the Z Probe are:

pin 2 > ......................... < pin 50
pin 1 > ...................S..... < pin 49

S is the ZProbe signal output. S goes to Arduino pin A10 (6th pin from right, bottom row).

If you have a four-pin modulated probe the connections are:

pin 2 > ......................... < pin 50
pin 1 > ...................ST.... < pin 49

Again, S is the ZProbe signal output (6th pin from right, bottom row). T is the trigger/modulator input (5th pin from right, bottom row). S goes to Arduino pin A10 and T goes to D52.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Re: New firmware 0.78 from RepRapPro
July 03, 2014 01:16PM
Awesome! Soon we can print a rainbow smiling smiley
July 03, 2014 03:43PM
Wauw, I didn't know you were that close to a release - congratulations thumbs uptu)tu)tu)
July 03, 2014 03:45PM
Hooray for progress!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 08, 2014 04:25AM
Does anyone have a diagram showing the z probe wiring for this firmware? Maybe a good idea to list it here also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 04:26AM by Made2Fade.
July 08, 2014 05:00AM
Perhaps this photo will help.

Ignore the white wire if you have the standard 3-wire probe. The black and pink or red wires go to the same pins as before.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

July 09, 2014 12:08PM
If I flash my setup with 0.65 to 0.78 do I need to rewire anything - can I leave the Z probe wiring as it was for 0.65?
July 09, 2014 06:16PM
Hi imekon

The Z probe is the only bit of wiring you DO have to change, but it's very simple, just move it three pins to the right (from the 9th pin from the right, to the 6th pin).

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 09, 2014 06:45PM
Don't forget to update your config.g file too. Without the new M563 command to define your print head, you won't be able to extrude.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login