Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

0.3 mm nozzle

Posted by KenF 
0.3 mm nozzle
July 11, 2014 10:49AM
A lot of the stuff I'm going to be printing is small and could do with a bit more detail than the 0.5 mm nozzle can provide, so I've ordered up a 0.3 mm nozzle from RRP.

I realise that I'll need to change the nozzle diameter in Slic3r to 0.3 mm, but will I need to do anything with the layer height, or any of the other settings?

Ken.
Re: 0.3 mm nozzle
July 11, 2014 12:25PM
Hi Ken,

the layer height is also a thing to change.

the 0.3 noozle presses only 0.3 diameter filament throught the hole, so the layer height hve to be the half of the diameter i think.
July 11, 2014 02:13PM
Somewhere I read a discussion about layer-height and stepper-motor resolution. Asfar as I remember, the conclusion was, that the layer-height should be an integral number of whole steps. I don't remember, where I saw it either.

Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong....

I'm also going to try a smaller nozzle in near future.

:-) Carsten
July 11, 2014 02:24PM
colsenfoto
Somewhere I read a discussion about layer-height and stepper-motor resolution. Asfar as I remember, the conclusion was, that the layer-height should be an integral number of whole steps. I don't remember, where I saw it either.

I came to the conclusion that with the current Duet firmware, it makes no difference whether layer height is an integral number of steps or not.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 11, 2014 03:13PM
Hi Ken,

I've used a 0.3 nozzle for a few prints now but I never thought to change the layer height, however my prints have come out fine so far.
The problem I did have though was adhesion to the bed, as it's thinner I suppose theres less surface area to stick.
I bulked up the first layer extrusion width to 200% and this solved it.

I liked the results I got from my prints, the only reason i switched back to 0.5 was because it takes so much longer to print, but for small detail stuff like you want to do 0.3 is ideal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login