Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Intersting printbed

Posted by trilby 
Intersting printbed
July 13, 2014 11:59AM
Just been browsing kick starter and come accross this project. Kickstarter

Looks like an interesting replacement for the glass and heat spreader if they do a magnetic base for ormerod in future, But I do wonder how long the coating will last.
Re: Intersting printbed
July 13, 2014 06:44PM
I would like some more detail on what that plate is made of. If it does what they claim, it seems really good. Also, I like the magnetic thing, as the clips inevitably "steal" a little bit of printing surface. However, since the plate can obviously flex a little bit, it would be important to hold it securely to something very flat.
July 13, 2014 09:26PM
Does sound good. But I think I'll try and find a flat bit of glass first....

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
July 14, 2014 10:56AM
jstck
I would like some more detail on what that plate is made of. If it does what they claim, it seems really good. Also, I like the magnetic thing, as the clips inevitably "steal" a little bit of printing surface. However, since the plate can obviously flex a little bit, it would be important to hold it securely to something very flat.

No sure about the flex - the photo shows what looks like a fairly thick metal plate.

Dave
(#106)
July 14, 2014 12:37PM
dmould
No sure about the flex - the photo shows what looks like a fairly thick metal plate.

Yes, but they do say If needed, the plate can be gently flexed to pop the part off.
If it can be flexed by hand, it is soft enough that whatever is holding it down will also flex it if the surface under it isn't perfectly flat.

Those thick metal plates with magnets might be very flat (but few things are still as even as float glass), but they wouldn't work to well together with the PCB heater I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 12:38PM by jstck.
July 14, 2014 02:00PM
Well I have gone and backed the project. When/If I receive the bed I will let you know what I think.

I haven’t ordered the magnetic print bed as couldn’t' remember the print bed dimensions after having a drink so I shall mod the heat spreader to take some magnets to hold it in place.
January 22, 2015 03:38PM
trilby
Well I have gone and backed the project. When/If I receive the bed I will let you know what I think.

I haven’t ordered the magnetic print bed as couldn’t' remember the print bed dimensions after having a drink so I shall mod the heat spreader to take some magnets to hold it in place.

Hi Trilby, I was wondering if you had received your build plate yet and what you think of it? I've ordered one through their website anyway but some feedback would be great. Hopefully it does what they say smiling smiley

Ross
January 22, 2015 04:26PM
trilby

Spoken like a true engineer grinning smiley
January 24, 2015 08:04AM
This is the bed I am using and I am completely satisfied with it, PLA sticks like glue

Alu Print Bed

EDIT: At first I was just placed it on the alu heat spreader provided with the O1 kit, but now I have removed the heat spreader (no need for 2 alu plates to get hot) and the bed heats up significantly faster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 08:57AM by Sardi.
January 24, 2015 08:17AM
I agree, this plus Carbon fiber bed (plus cheap hair spray) are the best! There is no going back to other beds after using them

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
January 24, 2015 01:15PM
I am using BuildTak and no heated bed at all. Works very well when you get the Z height of the first layer just perfect. PLA sticks very well to it. To high it doesnt stick and too low it sticks to well, very hard to pry loose.

I have only been printing PLA and Taulman t-glase PETT.

The time from power on to start of print is the same as getting the print head up to 220 degrees. I am very pleased with this setup.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login