Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sd card issues

Posted by konilai 
sd card issues
July 18, 2014 08:54AM
Hi all
I got my Ormerod in May' but started assembling just now. I got to the SD card. Then the computer just does not recognize the printer. If I take the card out and reset, then it's ok. Insert the card and the same - cannot recognize USB. Tried already 3 different cards - 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB. Any suggestions ? Help? Please
Re: sd card issues
July 18, 2014 09:11AM
Hi konilai

It sounds like the SD card is shorting out the board, somehow. The SD card may get hot, and damage the card. Also, the ARM chip may be getting hot, if it is internally shorted. I think you'll most likely need a new Duet PCB. Can you email me on support at reprappro dot com, and we'll sort it out? Please refer to this thread in your email, and include your full name, address, and order reference, or other proof of purchase.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 20, 2014 06:33AM
Hi Konilai,

I've just had the same problem, everything worked fine up until it came to the SD card. As soon as I booted with the SD card installed it would 'hang' with no serial communication. I couldn't even close the Arduino window until I removed the USB cable. I tried different SD cards and adaptors with no change. I was convinced it was a fault with the SD holder on the Duet board.

Turns out I checked everything....except to make sure the firmware was up to date! It is really important that the firmware files on your SD card match the firmware version on your Duet.

Leave the SD card out and connect with USB to your computer. Start up Arduino, make sure your COM port comes up with the correct Arduino drivers in Device Manager, and that this COM port is correctly selected in Arduino. Open your serial connection and type in M115, this will give you the firmware currently on your Duet board. If it's not the latest then update your Duet as per the instructions, and make sure the same version is on your SD card.

I hope this helps. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

Cheers,
Add Man
July 20, 2014 06:42AM
Hi konilai

I just had someone else with this problem. I think the current config.g in the github firmware repository, which is meant for the 0.78 firmware, causes the older 0.57a firmware (which may be on some boards that were shipped, but have been held in stock) to freeze. Can you try updating your firmware, as described in the instructions? See: [reprappro.com]

I'll amend the instructions, and put the firmware update instructions before the SD card part, if this turns out to be the cause.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 20, 2014 07:03AM
Thank you, guys. I'll try updating the firmware later today. Really hope this is the problem. I am so eager to see it working. Thank again
July 20, 2014 07:04PM
This worked as you guys said. Thanx.
Now I am having another problem. After I installed the Pronterface and everything was good I got this message
Temperature measurement fault on heater 1, T = -28.267216
And also, how many red leds there are suppose to be after I plug the PSU?
July 21, 2014 05:53AM
Hey Konilai,

Good to hear you've made progress.

Looks like you have problems with the tool thermistor. The temperature value itself is not too much of a problem, but if you're getting an error message then you need to investigate.

If you have a multimeter, measure the resistance (in ohms) across the thermistor at the connector for the hot-end and check this is ok. At 20 degrees C it should be around 125 ohms.

Next check the wiring back to the Duet board and make sure there isn't a short circuit. It may also be useful to check it's not shorting to the surrounding wires (heater & fan) in the same connector.

Also check you have put the 26 IDE connector into the Duet board correctly. It's designed with the thermistor wiring in the middle with the remaining wires feeding the heat bed, so it shouldn't matter which way around you have it, but it's critical that the thermistor is in the middle. It's generally difficult to insert the IDE connector incorrectly without force, but it's not uncommon to miss one of the rows of pins, effectively only half connecting it.

With respect to the LED's, mines buttoned up at the moment so I can't check, but from memory there should be two lit up (without the USB connected) and I think three with the USB connected. Maybe somebody can confirm this. There should also be two LED's where the power supply is connected.

Make sure you have the jumper (at the PSU) inserted correctly (i.e. the two left most pins, near the square connector) and that you have a jumper at J9 on the Duet board inserted.

I hope this helps, let me know how you go.

Alex.
July 21, 2014 06:12AM
I've updated the commissioning instructions, so updating the firmware is before putting the SD card in. I've also put a warning note at the beginning of the SD card section.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 21, 2014 11:21AM
Hi,
i have the same problem. bed temp says -59.9.
i've tried rewiring, meanwhile checking for shorts and wrong connections, there wheren't any, & same result.
i've tried disconnecting temp sensor, to see if it says -265, it doesnt, it keeps saying -59.9.
any idea's?
July 21, 2014 11:37AM
That means tha bed thermistor is not connected to the Duet. The usual reason for this is bad crimp connections to the thermistor. It is very hard to get good crimp connections to the fine thermistor wires. I recommend soldering the thermistor wires to the crimp connectors instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 21, 2014 11:42AM
Thanx Ian, this was really helpful. Trying to solve the proximty sensor now.
I am not getting the result as described in the instructions. When the hotend is far from the bed it reads something about 950-970 and when I put a piece of white paper close to it the reading is about 200.
Also the x-homing didn't go so well.
Where do I have to put the aluminum foil so the sensor sees it?
July 21, 2014 12:08PM
konilai
When the hotend is far from the bed it reads something about 950-970 and when I put a piece of white paper close to it the reading is about 200.

Do you by any chance have bright sunlight or bright halogen light shining directly on the bed?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 21, 2014 04:53PM
Thanx dc42, it was the light that disturbed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login