Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....

Posted by Davek0974 
Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
February 01, 2016 03:16PM
steve0-uk
Davek0974
HI again

As we have now started the next batch of X-arm kits, could I please ask all those that expressed an interest to head on over to my shop

X-ARM KITS HERE

and place their order as they are fist-come-first-served and batch is limited qty.

I would expect dispatch to be within two weeks.

Many thanks

Dave

Dave

can I be really cheeky, could you reserve mine for me please?

I get paid on the 15th of every month, I will pay you that morning as soon as I get to a computer

I'll throw in a bit extra for ya for the trouble

No worries, one unit reserved for you.

Dave

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
February 01, 2016 03:21PM
Davek0974
steve0-uk
Davek0974
HI again

As we have now started the next batch of X-arm kits, could I please ask all those that expressed an interest to head on over to my shop

X-ARM KITS HERE

and place their order as they are fist-come-first-served and batch is limited qty.

Many thanks

Dave

Dave

I get paid on the 15th of every month, I will pay you that morning as soon as I get to a computer

Dave

Thanks Dave

15th Feb!! I will PM you
February 01, 2016 04:06PM
Hello Dave,

many thanks for the answer. I will give it a shot. I never saw something similar before so I got curious. I am still far away from the final design of my printer so I don't know if there is a need for it.
Besides if I know what to look for I am sure to find it somewhere nearby. You can even see traces on the aluminum extrusion caused by the bearing of the Z-axis. Maybe it would be a good idea to add some shim here, too. I only was surprised that you can get it on tape. On the other hand I have the same for copper. Maybe I can get at that shop stainless steel, too.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 10, 2016 04:59PM
Hi Dave
Only just found this thread!
I am definitely interested in the aluminium X rib for my Ormerod 1. Have you got any of the current batch left? If not are you planning on doing another batch?
Can you please clarify something for me. There has been mention throughout this thread of a shim. Is this part of the x-rib? Is is an optional extra? what does it do?
Thanks
Peter
February 11, 2016 12:02AM
Hello Peter,

I am not Dave but I can give you some answers. Actually there is no kit left but Dave is planning a new one. There is no kit for the Ormerod 1 but you can benefit from the Ormerod 2 kit. I would recommend to print an Extruder for the Ormerod 2 as it is sitting more stable on the arm.
Aluminium is weaker than stainless steel. What happened to me and some others?
Our x-carriage was not angled correctly. The bearing of the x-carriage was only running on its corner and not on its complete surface at the side aof the x-arm. So it worked somehow like a knife and cut a groove into my x-arm. This effect may happen faster if the bearing is also blocked. I have posted a How-to somewhere here which shows the effects.
For my Ormerod 1 fixed this by adding a small metal strip made of stainless steel. I used a small metal ruler for this purpose, but it should not be wider than 10mm. Mine was 13mm so I had to do some cuttings described in the how-to.
Getting a new arm for my Ormerod 2 I am afraid that this could happen to me again eventhough it is no problem if the bearing is running angled. I do not want to take the risk either.
Dave delivered with the first batches a small stainless steel self-adhesive metal band. However most users did not use it and there wee some problems with the adhesive. For me I decided not to use my new x-arm without any kind of shim. I will give the tape a try. Otherwise I will use a metal ruler, again.
You may kindly ask Dave if he can provide to you such kind of shim.

Best regards,

Sven

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 11, 2016 02:30AM
Hi

We are now currently between batches - the current run has sold out. If you want to put your name down for the next batch please let me know.

Yes there was a self adhesive shim with the early kits, it goes where the bearing runs along but most users did not use it so i stopped supplying it, i can put one in by special order, there is no extra cost.

As Treito says it is most important that the the x bearing runs smooth and flat on the arm for long life.

Please let me know if interested and i will start making a list for the next batch.

Dave

February 11, 2016 02:32AM
I used the self adhesive shim strip that Davek supplied with my arm and it stuck well. I can see a small mark along it from the edge of the X runner bearing. I wiped the arm surface with meths or isopropanol before sticking the shim on it (I always do this with surfaces to be joined with adhesive).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 11, 2016 03:27AM
At my howto there is also one step for cleaning the x-arm before sticking the shim to it.
It's good to hear that the supplied shim is sticking well to the x-arm.
On my x-arm in use there are already traces of the bearing. Like I said before it is only looking like if someone had polished the surface where the bearing is running. No groove. But that's the reason why I want to add a shim at my new x-arm for my second printer. The shim could be replaced if something goes wrong.

February 11, 2016 04:25AM
Hi Dave,

i'm interestet !
Please put me on the list for the new batch.

Alex
February 11, 2016 04:47AM
Noted, thanks

Dave

February 11, 2016 10:07AM
Dave,

I bought an Aluminium arm from yourself, but the bottom had not been rubbed straight. When I asked about this you and others suggested that I ran the bearing on the face of the aluminium but NO SHIM was supplied.
Can you let me have a shim to place on the face of the Al Arm?
February 11, 2016 10:28AM
Hi,

Yes we can of course, but remember it is not essential, just an optional extra.

Please email me your address and i'll post a bit off.

Dave

February 12, 2016 08:05AM
Dave

just checking you still have one reserved for me, as discussed smiling smiley

Davek0974
steve0-uk
Davek0974
HI again

X-ARM KITS HERE

Many thanks

Dave

Dave

Dave
February 12, 2016 08:08AM
Hi

of course, they are due to be ready for posting on Tuesday next week.

Dave

February 12, 2016 10:17AM
excellent,

do I just pay you via paypal on Monday then message you when done or, through your site?

Davek0974
Hi

Dave
February 12, 2016 10:22AM
steve0-uk
excellent,

do I just pay you via paypal on Monday then message you when done or, through your site?

Davek0974
Hi

Dave

They are currently turned off on the site so direct Paypal please, presuming it's a UK address, the total is £44.45, make sure address is on there somewhere smiling smiley

Many thanks

February 12, 2016 10:41AM
will do, it will be a uk address, had 2 from you already ;0)

Davek0974
steve0-uk
excellent,

Davek0974
Hi

Dave

They are currently turned off on the site so direct Paypal please, presuming it's a UK address, the total is £44.45, make sure address is on there somewhere smiling smiley

Many thanks
February 12, 2016 02:00PM
I am puzzled by Trieto's reply to my previous post which reads in part "There is no kit for the Ormerod 1 but you can benefit from the Ormerod 2 kit. I would recommend to print an Extruder for the Ormerod 2 as it is sitting more stable on the arm."
Dave's website at [ddmetalproducts.co.uk] specifically says "Our upgrade X-axis arm kit for the RepRapPro “Ormerod” Mk1 or Mk2 3D printers."
Are you/Is he saying that the kit is not suitable for an Ormerod 1 without printing and fitting an extruder for an Ormerod 2?
I have not yet got as far as succefully printing the calibration piece, let alone a new Ormerod 2 part! So, if I understand Trieto correctly, by fitting the aluminium arm to my current Ormerod 1 could make things worse rather than better! True?
February 12, 2016 02:40PM
PeterSimpson
I am puzzled by Trieto's reply to my previous post which reads in part "There is no kit for the Ormerod 1 but you can benefit from the Ormerod 2 kit. I would recommend to print an Extruder for the Ormerod 2 as it is sitting more stable on the arm."
Dave's website at [ddmetalproducts.co.uk] specifically says "Our upgrade X-axis arm kit for the RepRapPro “Ormerod” Mk1 or Mk2 3D printers."
Are you/Is he saying that the kit is not suitable for an Ormerod 1 without printing and fitting an extruder for an Ormerod 2?
I have not yet got as far as succefully printing the calibration piece, let alone a new Ormerod 2 part! So, if I understand Trieto correctly, by fitting the aluminium arm to my current Ormerod 1 could make things worse rather than better! True?

Ormerod 2 has a longer tongue to clip to the X-arm so you will need to print Ormerod 2 Extruder.
February 12, 2016 03:00PM
It can be used before printing the finger/tongue, just wedge the extruder gently to stop it twisting on the arm.

The link for the finger is on my site with the arm kit.

Yes the kits fit Mk1 OR Mk2 models.

February 13, 2016 06:41AM
Peter,

look at my signature I use the kit with my Ormerod 1, too.
Tha horizontal part has some additional rectangular holes suitable for the cutouts at the vertical parts whre you normally clip in the Extruder. A common problem of the Ormerod 1 was that the standard clip was not stable and it often flipped and could even fell down. So the Ormerod 2 uses longer tongues to clip themselves additionally at the bottom.
However you could use an Extruder for the Ormerod 1 with the kit, but with the kit it happens easier that the Extruder flips so I strongly recommed to print a new one. But theoretically is is no problem to use a MK1 or MK2 Extruder with the X-Arm-Kit. I also used a MK1 Extruder at first but it was really annoying to put the Extruder back during the printing.
This kit is a great benefit especially for the Ormerod 1. It helps to secure the Extruder besides the printing improvements.

Best regards,

Sven

February 13, 2016 07:10AM
Just for reference here is a link to the little finger that fixes the issue.

Extruder Finger

February 13, 2016 07:26AM
That's additional, but I was talking about the extended tongue on the Extruder without an additional part.

February 13, 2016 04:35PM
Thanks Dave and Treito.
I think I would prefer Dave's option of the tonge to fit onto the Ormerod 1 extruder - at least at present. Maybe I will at some time add the Ormerod 2 extruder as part of a full upgrade to Ormerod 2, but as things are that will be some time in the future.

Dave - could you please put me down for one of the next batch of X arms. Do you know yet when you will be making them? Also, I would like some shim with it in case I need it (as discussed earlier). Also, can you supply the extender finger ready made as I have not yet got my Ormerod 1 in a state where it can print anything at present!
Thanks.
February 13, 2016 05:10PM
To make it clear the usage of a MK2 Extruder is independent from the complete transformation to a MK2.

February 13, 2016 05:27PM
PeterSimpson
Thanks Dave and Treito.
I think I would prefer Dave's option of the tonge to fit onto the Ormerod 1 extruder - at least at present. Maybe I will at some time add the Ormerod 2 extruder as part of a full upgrade to Ormerod 2, but as things are that will be some time in the future.

Dave - could you please put me down for one of the next batch of X arms. Do you know yet when you will be making them? Also, I would like some shim with it in case I need it (as discussed earlier). Also, can you supply the extender finger ready made as I have not yet got my Ormerod 1 in a state where it can print anything at present!
Thanks.

I'll put your name down, hopefully not too long, depends how many people want them.

Shim tape ok,

Keep an eye out on this thread, i'll announce when ready to go again.

Anyone else want one, please let me know.

Dave

February 15, 2016 02:38AM
all paid up Dave

gave you a little something extra for reserving one for me smiling smiley

steve0-uk
will do, it will be a uk address, had 2 from you already ;0)

Davek0974
steve0-uk
excellent,

Davek0974
Hi

Dave

Many thanks
February 17, 2016 04:47AM
Apologies for being a day late but all of the current batch of kits will be dispatched today.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave

March 01, 2016 01:25PM
Anyone interested in the x-arm kits?

Just checking smiling smiley

March 03, 2016 02:00PM
I will be in the near future, for the printer at work. Just need to bring this up with my boss...

Bart
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login