Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....

Posted by Davek0974 
Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
August 25, 2016 12:34PM
Hi, its a joint effort as a clip needs printing too, have a look here.....

3d Print And Stuff

smiling smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
August 25, 2016 01:16PM
Thanks Davek0974. May I ask for a copy of the stl file for the printed part?

If you were to make replacement Y axis rod holders in aluminum for the Ormerod 2 I am interested.
August 25, 2016 01:29PM
Hi the printed part is the bit i don't supply smiling smiley I do the aluminium parts.

I can only suggest contacting the guy that runs the site linked.

Dave

August 26, 2016 05:41AM
ayudtee
Thanks Davek0974. May I ask for a copy of the stl file for the printed part?

If you were to make replacement Y axis rod holders in aluminium for the Ormerod 2 I am interested.

Hi
Thanks for your order, Please find attached the file for holding the bearing in place. FrontBearingClip.stl
The part will need a M3 x 18mm hex screw and should line up with current nut/washer cut-out upon the metal part near the front bearing loop.

If anyone else is interested in replacing their MDF Bed Support platform for an Ormerod 2, just follow the link below
[www.3dprintandstuff.co.uk]

Thanks
Chris

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
October 12, 2016 06:46AM
Just a little bump to let newcomers know the upgrades are still available smiling smiley

October 20, 2016 09:00AM
Hi Dave,

I am afraid that the shim does not stick very well. At the moment I am maintaining the y-axis and the heated bed of my Ormerod 2 (The Ormerod 1 has problems with one stepper motor) and one end is nearly getting separated from the aluminium. sad smiley

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 20, 2016 09:03AM
The shim stuck very well for me, however I cleaned the arm surface with isopropanol before sticking it on - as I always do before gluing almost anything.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2016 09:37AM
This was one of the reasons I stopped supplying the shim.

Provided your runner bearing is in good condition and turns freely, the shim is not needed on the aluminium arms.

The only failure to - date was caused by a jammed runner bearing.

As DC42 has said - the metal must be spotlessly clean before applying or it will fail.

I can send you out another length of shim if you like, UK only, PM me the details if wanted.

Dave

October 21, 2016 02:42AM
Good morning.

many thanks for the replies and the offer. I cleaned the arm with brake cleaner (without Acetone) like I always do. However the shim is sticking but it is weak.
After I already got one failure I would prefer to use the metal ruler instead. On the other hand the Ormerod 2 uses another kind of bearing which seems to run better.
During the assembly I recognized that the x-carriage will soon fail of my MK2 (I could not get the screws really tight for the hotend) so I will see when I maintain the x-axis what I will do.

Dave, now I understand why you did not deliver the shim anymore.

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 12, 2017 01:09PM
Just a reminder that the machined aluminium parts for Mk1 and Mk2 machines are still available smiling smiley

January 12, 2017 04:53PM
@DaveK0974, do you know what this little notch at the top is used for? It doesn't seem to be used on the mk2
Attachments:
open | download - orm.jpg (58.4 KB)
January 12, 2017 05:05PM
used for ziptie the cables in place atleast thats what i use it for
January 12, 2017 05:10PM
Ha, that makes total sense! It will solve a lot of my cable management problems spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 13, 2017 02:16AM
Yep thats the one smiling smiley

January 13, 2017 04:30AM
0x0000
Ha, that makes total sense! It will solve a lot of my cable management problems spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Erik
February 23, 2017 10:10AM
Just a little bump to let newcomers know that the Mk1 & Mk2 upgrade parts are still available smiling smiley

February 23, 2017 10:57AM
Thanks Dave I recieved my X arm and bed support yesterday and was supprised at how quick I got it all installed.

It has given new life to a printer I abandoned for 2 years
February 23, 2017 01:00PM
Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

March 13, 2017 04:36PM
Hi Dave

Are you able to help me with some of that shim tape as I am seeing some wear starting to appear already on the arm. (my bearing is damaged and i am awaiting some replacements)

I am willing to pay for the cost of postage and materials.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 04:36PM by trilby.
March 13, 2017 04:50PM
send me an address via email or pm and i'll send a bit off.

Dave

March 17, 2017 04:34AM
Hi Dave

I recieved the shim tape

Many Thanks
March 17, 2017 05:12AM
Thanks for the update

March 17, 2017 03:15PM
Hello I am also interested in this kit if only my problems whith the orientation and homing lis solved! See the tread " My ormerod has lost its orientation"
Lasse
June 03, 2017 02:14PM
Parts are still available smiling smiley

June 09, 2017 06:18AM
Davek0974
Parts are still available smiling smiley

Same here; As I still have a few Y-axis bed support platforms for the Ormerod 2 printer
[www.3dprintandstuff.co.uk]

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
July 04, 2017 01:11PM
trevmas
Davek0974
Hmm, tricky one then, is there a general consensus on the best version/design to look into?

From a quick look I think the Ormerod 1 version may be compatible for all machines with the extra slot for the ribbon cable. The position of the drive belt and end stop holes would need to be checked though. The largest holes from the different versions would be ok as strength would not be an issue. The last version was obviously an attempt to stop the acrylic splitting and provide more rigidity with the hooks into the extrusion.

However.... I'm not convinced that just replacing the plate will solve problems such as adjusting the bed and keeping everything square. You will still have the idler mount and motor mount as printed parts that hold the axis end plate in place and square. These are parts that tend to split at the countersunk holes and would in my opinion still allow some flex, with the squareness dependant upon the accuracy and strength of the printed part. I also found that the weight of the machine on the end plate foot made it very difficult to adjust. That is why I went with the idea of a frame to hold the end plates and remove the weight of the machine from them.

My mods are on Thingsverse if it's of any help.
[www.thingiverse.com]

That's a very nice design and was just what I was looking for as I have the same material in stock
July 07, 2017 05:44AM
Karoo Klong
trevmas
Davek0974
Hmm, tricky one then, is there a general consensus on the best version/design to look into?

From a quick look I think the Ormerod 1 version may be compatible for all machines with the extra slot for the ribbon cable. The position of the drive belt and end stop holes would need to be checked though. The largest holes from the different versions would be ok as strength would not be an issue. The last version was obviously an attempt to stop the acrylic splitting and provide more rigidity with the hooks into the extrusion.

However.... I'm not convinced that just replacing the plate will solve problems such as adjusting the bed and keeping everything square. You will still have the idler mount and motor mount as printed parts that hold the axis end plate in place and square. These are parts that tend to split at the countersunk holes and would in my opinion still allow some flex, with the squareness dependant upon the accuracy and strength of the printed part. I also found that the weight of the machine on the end plate foot made it very difficult to adjust. That is why I went with the idea of a frame to hold the end plates and remove the weight of the machine from them.

My mods are on Thingsverse if it's of any help.
[www.thingiverse.com]

That's a very nice design and was just what I was looking for as I have the same material in stock

Thanks, it seems to work well for me. Combined with the aluminium platform support, aluminium x-arm and a lead screw for the z-axis, my prints are much improved over the original. (Not forgetting the DC42 height sensor!) Not too much left of the original machine, but it's been a good learning exercise.

One thing to remember is that the Ormerod 1 has the Y-axis motor on the other end so you would need to mirror the parts.

I had a message from someone who used a drill rather than a reamer for the 12mm rod holes and made them fractionally too big. What I suggested was that after assembly drill a few 2mm holes in the plastic as close to the rods as possible then with some filament in his dremel on a medium speed weld the filament into the 2mm hole. As the plastic melts it will deform the 12mm hole and take up the slack. It worked well for him. It's a kludge I've used myself on other projects with both PLA and ABS and also to weld parts together..
July 07, 2017 01:27PM
Thanks for the advice.

I had an X-ARM made this week and when I went to fetch it yesterday I saw that the arm has bent from the lazer cutting heat. They will now make a new one for me from a higher grade aluminium om Tuesday. They gave me the detective part so I finished it off and bent it a little and seems like it will work fine. I cant wait for put it all together.

I also had some aluminium angle cut to the sizes in order to replace the plastic parts in the y-axis ends.
I wanted 3mm angle but they only had 2mm. But I will make it work. It will be many times stronger than the plastic parts.

Now...
I need to decide if I should replace the hotend? e3d v6 clone maybe?
Just for a start.

PS.
How do you find the machine/kit number?
I would really like to know and use it's number.
I want to make this a cool usable machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2017 01:34PM by Karoo Klong.
July 07, 2017 02:14PM
Karoo Klong
Thanks for the advice.

I had an X-ARM made this week and when I went to fetch it yesterday I saw that the arm has bent from the lazer cutting heat. They will now make a new one for me from a higher grade aluminium om Tuesday. They gave me the detective part so I finished it off and bent it a little and seems like it will work fine. I cant wait for put it all together.

I also had some aluminium angle cut to the sizes in order to replace the plastic parts in the y-axis ends.
I wanted 3mm angle but they only had 2mm. But I will make it work. It will be many times stronger than the plastic parts.

Now...
Just for a start.

PS.

That is the problem with heat-cutting the parts, I suffered a lot of this when I was getting going, in the end, water-jet was the only way but cost was almost what i charged so I bought a CNC mill and now machine cut the parts - no distortion and perfect finish, far better than even water-jet was. smiling smiley

July 08, 2017 10:58AM
Karoo Klong
Thanks for the advice.

Just for a start.

PS.

I would recommend making one change before you start another then at least you have a starting point when getting the best out of the change.

I'm not sure about the older hotend, but I find the quickset hotend works really well and I don't see any point in changing it. I use the 0.3 nozzle and never seem to get any blockages. I think the secret is getting the cooling block in the right place and using reasonable retraction settings.

The version number e.g. 528.5, on an Ormerod 2 is printed on the power supply, not sure about the Ormerod 1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login