Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
November 27, 2014 04:40AM
Motoray
Hi Crouchy,

I would be interested in an Ormerod 1 arm & rib at AU$40 + post, let me know how to proceed. My rib is broken and I made an Aluminium angle to support the arm which helped, but it still wobbles a bit when printing, so not good!

I am in Mudgee NSW (2850) Australia

Ray

I sent you a pm with some more info.
November 27, 2014 06:30AM
I would very much like both the bed and x axis kit for my V2 are they still available?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 08:17AM by Mick747.
November 27, 2014 12:57PM
I understood the bed is not needed with the ormerd2
November 27, 2014 01:27PM
Ah ok my bad then so would just need X axis parts. There is an mdf bed that everything sits on and thought that was the item being replaced.

Cheers.
Mick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 01:39PM by Mick747.
November 27, 2014 02:30PM
Mick747
Ah ok my bad then so would just need X axis parts. There is an mdf bed that everything sits on and thought that was the item being replaced.

The MDF part is only the isolator, the bed-support is made of ply and of much better design to support the heated bed than the old MDF bed-support on the Ormerod1 that was sagging in the corners and walking all over the place

As you can see here, it did pull a long thread (and hair out of my head):

The bed should never have been created with MDF
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
November 27, 2014 04:55PM
Yeah i see now Erik. Many thanks so it is just the X axis upgrade i could do with then. If they are still available that is?

Cheers.
Mick.
November 28, 2014 07:04AM
Finally got a chance to look at the Mk2 DXF files today with a view to adding the securing screws for the two parts.

On the Mk2 there are three locating lugs on the rib and mating holes on the arm, if we are using screws, these would seem to be not really needed as the screws will both locate and fix the two parts.

Could someone back me up on this?

The main reason being is that without them it would make cutting fractionally cheaper and mean that i can stick the screws in better positions.

Going with M3 countersunk socket head screws i think.

Dave

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
November 28, 2014 07:25AM
Davek0974
On the Mk2 there are three locating lugs on the rib and mating holes on the arm, if we are using screws, these would seem to be not really needed as the screws will both locate and fix the two parts.

Could someone back me up on this?

Isn't that exactly what you did on the Mk1, i.e omitted the lugs and locating slots?

The main difference I am aware of between the 1 and 2 is that on the 2, the rib has extra cutouts for the extruder tongues to drop into. But there may be other differences that I don't know about.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 28, 2014 08:30AM
As it happens, the Mk1 DXF's were modified by another member, I think it was AppJaws? I just removed the surplus hole from one end of the rib.

I can't find my Mk1 rib now, might have binned it when I upgraded so I can't check it, but yes if they used to have the lugs too then I'll simply remove them and install some screw holes.

Yes I can see the extra slots in the rib on the Mk2

Looking at the Mk1 rib, there are other differences at the Z-axis end, the Mk2 has a lug on the outer face, I do not know if that was there on the original Mk1 so I need confirmation on that too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 08:39AM by Davek0974.

November 28, 2014 08:58AM
From RepRapPro's instructions, here are the Ormerod 2 X arm and rib (left) and Ormerod 1 (right):

On the picture on the right, the X rib is upside down compared to the one on the left. Also it has the old nut trap for the Z nut. Otherwise, they look similar to me apart from the extra cutouts in the rib. The O2 plate might not have the lip in the extruder mounting slots, since the extruders are held in place by the tongue instead. The O2 rib is possibly slightly narrower but has a slight bulge on the outside opposite the cutout for the z-runner nut trap.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 28, 2014 09:38AM
Thanks for that, it does seem that all that junk on the Z axis end of the rib can go, along with the tabs and holes.

Are countersunks still good, seems the best option as no chance of fouling the extruders

November 28, 2014 10:14AM
New files attached, sent for quotes

dave

Attachments:
open | download - New MK2 x-axis-plate.DXF (21.6 KB)
open | download - New MK2 x-rib.DXF (24.8 KB)
November 28, 2014 11:29AM
Davek0974
New files attached, sent for quotes

dave

Thanks Dave

Mick.
November 28, 2014 11:39AM
Thanks!
December 08, 2014 10:46AM
Dave, given that you're not going to cut more of the X-Arms for the model 1, would you mind posting the DXF's for them please?
December 08, 2014 11:07AM
pandionx
Dave, given that you're not going to cut more of the X-Arms for the model 1, would you mind posting the DXF's for them please?

Hi

I am on the verge of getting a batch of 5 made as others are wanting them too, please wait a little longer.

I'm about 99.9% done in getting the Ormerod Mk2 Aluminium X arms and ribs ready to cut, can I get a scale of the demand for these please, just a quick yes please will do at this point.

Many thanks

Dave

December 08, 2014 11:15AM
Davek0974
pandionx

Hi

I am on the verge of getting a batch of 5 made as others are wanting them too, please wait a little longer.

I'm about 99.9% done in getting the Ormerod Mk2 Aluminium X arms and ribs ready to cut, can I get a scale of the demand for these please, just a quick yes please will do at this point.

Many thanks

Dave

Yes Please
December 08, 2014 11:42AM
It appears to me that the O2 X-arm could be used on the O1 if you reprint the extruder body to have the longer tongue.

December 08, 2014 12:10PM
Count me in!

Yes please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 02:29PM by Fpex.
December 08, 2014 01:19PM
Yes please
December 08, 2014 02:14PM
Yes please Dave

Luke
December 08, 2014 03:09PM
dc42
It appears to me that the O2 X-arm could be used on the O1 if you reprint the extruder body to have the longer tongue.

I was not sure whether to suggest that or not, unsure if users would want to reprint a part just to fit another??

It does look the same apart from those slots though and would make it easier, doing a small run of 5 works out quite costly.

Would anyone wanting a mk1 version be prepared to reprint the extruder mount in order to fit the new arm??

December 08, 2014 03:20PM
Davek0974
dc42

I was not sure whether to suggest that or not, unsure if users would want to reprint a part just to fit another??

This ad-on (or something like that) is a fast and easy print and IMHO a safer solution for support of the extruder than the longer tongue

Ormerod RepRapPro 3D Printer. Extra support for the extruder:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Erik
December 08, 2014 04:33PM
ormerod168
Davek0974
dc42

This ad-on (or something like that) is a fast and easy print and IMHO a safer solution for support of the extruder than the longer tongue

Ormerod RepRapPro 3D Printer. Extra support for the extruder:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Erik

Nice idea, thanks.

That would make things a bit simpler, I can concentrate on just the new model arm in that case.

December 08, 2014 06:29PM
Yes please!
December 08, 2014 06:36PM
I wouldn't mind using MK2 arms on my Ormerod 1! Printing an extruder is a small price to pay. I was thinking about printing it from ABS any way so works for me!

So YES Dave, count me in for a Mk2 X-arm set!

Thanks,
Achilles
December 09, 2014 03:54AM
Another (theoretical) possibility: make the parts with the correct dimensions for the O2, but keep the lip at the end of each slot at the top of the arm as on the O1. To use an O2 extruder with the arm, just file the lip down, which should only take a minute or so. This assumes that the width and depth of the slots are the same in both designs apart from the lip, which I haven't checked.

December 09, 2014 05:40AM
dc42
Another (theoretical) possibility: make the parts with the correct dimensions for the O2, but keep the lip at the end of each slot at the top of the arm as on the O1. To use an O2 extruder with the arm, just file the lip down, which should only take a minute or so. This assumes that the width and depth of the slots are the same in both designs apart from the lip, which I haven't checked.

Thanks, I have done a comparison and the plates are identical apart from the notches.

However, it's not just the nib that sticks out, opposite the nib, the side is slightly curved to allow the old heads to drop and lock, this would need removing too.

I think the best all round idea is to use the new plate and arm and then print either the finger posted above or the Mk2 extruder mount to use it.

I could maybe look at making the fingers and providing the longer screws, but I'm fairly confident most 3d users would enjoy printing it before doing the upgrade maybe, it only applies to the few Mk1 upgraders,

Hoping to get the order in today and maybe ship before Christmas too if I'm lucky.

Dave

December 09, 2014 06:20AM
What would the price be? Similiar to the previous version?
December 09, 2014 07:48AM
Aagaard
What would the price be? Similiar to the previous version?

Yes, I am hoping they will be identical.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login