Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in an LCD control panel for the Ormerod?

Posted by dc42 
Anyone interested in an LCD control panel for the Ormerod?
August 06, 2014 08:34AM
Partly inspired by a comments in another thread (thanks zeb00), I am contemplating making a PCB for an LCD control panel for the Ormerod. The idea would be to provide the same sort of functionality that the Panelolu2 (see [reprap.org]) provides for earlier electronics, but with the processing offloaded to a separate microcontroller. My outline specification is:

* 128x64 graphic LCD. This gives a nicer display than the 16x4 character display used on the Panalolu2 because it can do different size fonts and proportional spacing.

* Rotary encoder with integral push button

* Emergency stop push button. Possibly also push buttons for pause, restart and cancel print.

* 2 or 3 LEDs

* Piezo sounder

* Micro USB socket for programming

* atmega32u4 processor, software compatible with Arduino Leonardo including bootloader, and using software developed under the Arduino IDE so that it is easy for users to change

* Connected to and powered from the Duet or DueX4 expansion connector

The functions I envisage providing in the software initially are:

* Display current temperatures, homed status, and current print completion status (based on filament consumption)

* Set active and standby temperatures of the bed and each head

* Recognise certain gcode files as holding user macros and list them on a menu for running

* Pick an SD card file for printing

* Pause/resume/cancel print

* Emergency stop

* Adjust speed and extrusion factors

* Other functions?

Target price would be between GBP40 and GBP50 depending on the spec of the LCD display. Anyone interested?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2014 11:30AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Anyone interested in an LCD control panel for the Ormerod?
August 06, 2014 09:18AM
At that price, yes, definitely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2014 09:18AM by jstck.
August 06, 2014 09:31AM
Hi David,

i´m also interested.....
August 06, 2014 10:38AM
out of interest did you decide which interface you will use to talk to the duet?
August 06, 2014 10:39AM
Yes! I am Also interested.
/Joar
August 06, 2014 11:28AM
Me too, please.

Ken.
August 06, 2014 12:10PM
In that price range I'm interested
August 06, 2014 01:00PM
That's 6 so far + one for me, so it's probably worth my ordering at the initial 10 PCBs. For a quantity as low as that, I'll have to assemble them by hand, however the number of SMD components should be very small so that isn't too bad.

Please provide your thoughts on usage scenarios, and what functions that you might want to be able to do with it rather than connect a PC. My current thoughts are that it should support routine printing, but anything much more complicated would be done using an attached PC and the web interface. So it needs to support homing, bed levelling, printing from SD card, adjustment of temps/speed/extrusion factor during a print, and print cancel/resume/emergency stop. Have I missed anything?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 06, 2014 01:05PM
I've been looking for something like this! put me down for one please
August 06, 2014 01:16PM
As a suggestion, could it not be fitted with something that is mechanically more robust than a micro-USB socket? They are the bane of my life! A USB host socket that can be used to transfer Gcode via a memory stick would also be nice.

Dave
(#106)
August 06, 2014 01:39PM
dmould
As a suggestion, could it not be fitted with something that is mechanically more robust than a micro-USB socket? They are the bane of my life!

Dave, is it just the micro USB socket on the Ormerod that gives you trouble, or other devices as well? I have other equipment with micro USB connectors, such as a mobile phone, camera, and Arduino Leonardo, and it is only the one on the Duet that sometimes gives a dodgy connection. So I am wondering whether the issue is to do with the quality of the USB socket on the Duet and/or how it is mounted.

August 06, 2014 02:37PM
dc42
dmould
As a suggestion, could it not be fitted with something that is mechanically more robust than a micro-USB socket? They are the bane of my life!

Dave, is it just the micro USB socket on the Ormerod that gives you trouble, or other devices as well? I have other equipment with micro USB connectors, such as a mobile phone, camera, and Arduino Leonardo, and it is only the one on the Duet that sometimes gives a dodgy connection. So I am wondering whether the issue is to do with the quality of the USB socket on the Duet and/or how it is mounted.

There are two types of small USB connector, both the same width but different thicknesses. The one on the Duet is the thin type. I have found both types of SMD socket to be very weak on all devices unless surrounded by a case that mechanically grips the socket, though the thin ones are worse. Mobile phones tend to have a case that prevents the socket being pulled up from the PCB when connecting/disconnecting. I have damaged the PCB/socket connection on bare boards or boards in loose cases on a few occasions by not being careful enough when plugging in or unplugging. I have also found that all devices with the thin type of socket often have problems with intermittent connectivity - a mate of mine repairs mobile phones and it is one of the most common faults he sees.

If a device is physically big enough to take a type B socket, then in my opinion it is what should be used. If not, then the thicker micro socket is preferable, and only if you really need a very low profile should you be using the thin type. You can trip over a USB cable with a type B plug without damaging the device - do the same with a thin micro socket on a board where the case does not hold it down and it is quite likely that the socket will be pulled off the board instead of the plug being pulled from the socket! (which I know for a fact as it is what happened to a commercial product I purchased a while ago). A great deal depends on how easy the access to the socket is - if the socket is in an awkward position it is more likely that it will be disconnected by pulling the plug at a slight angle rather than perfectly straight.

Dave
(#106)
August 06, 2014 02:58PM
Dave, thanks for your feedback. My intention is that the USB port will only be used for programming, so not at all for many users. Nevertheless, I will look for the "thick type".

August 06, 2014 03:12PM
One for me please!

Erik
August 06, 2014 04:26PM
I would be interested in one too.

Jim
August 06, 2014 04:29PM
I'm up for one please if you've still got spare...
August 06, 2014 04:40PM
Sounds great, but I wonder if Atmega32u4 processor sounds a little underpowered. 32K flash memory doesnt much for future proofing.

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
August 06, 2014 04:51PM
I think the only use that I would have for one, is picking a file to print from an SD card.
The micro SD card on the Duet board does not inspire me to want to perform a lot of extractions, OK for firmware upgrades. So a feature request from me, would be to have a much more reliable and sturdy SD card slot. One which is easily accessable and inspires me to want to exchange cards with new gcode files on. Either standard SD card or maybe a USB key, nothing minature i want reliability not micro scalability.

That way once I have the printer configured correctly via the web interface and the original files on the Duet micro SD then I can take a seperate sSD card from my PC to the printer and do a one stop print.

That would be my feature rant smiling smiley

But, I love the web interface and want to use my ipad and safari to monitor the print. Think i will open another thread to discuss that option.
August 06, 2014 04:56PM
kwikius
Sounds great, but I wonder if Atmega32u4 processor sounds a little underpowered. 32K flash memory doesnt much for future proofing.

I envisage that all it needs to do is to make requests of the Duet, extract data from the responses, display data on the LCD display, and run a menu system. I've achieved similar things before with far less flash memory. If anything, I'm more concerned about the limitation of 2.5K RAM, because it's handy (but not essential) to use a 1K image buffer for the GLCD. Unfortunately, the atmega32u4 doesn't have a big brother with 64K flash and 4K RAM. There are other devices such as the atsam and atxmega series, but they cost more and are not compatible with low cost 5V LCD displays.

August 06, 2014 05:20PM
Yes I like the idea of an LCD display.... Count me in please David....

A request thou.... Please could the machine not have to rely on it being there every time it's used....
Just thinking about carting more stuff around the country with me.... (I knew I should have bought a Luton.....).

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
August 06, 2014 06:51PM
Hi David

Great if you were to implement this, I have made a start with a 20x4 which is basic and the full graphics display would be better, here is the initial work:
[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

What i have been trying to find time to do is the firmware - I have the general idea specced out - a generic display which then talks to specific graphics panel classes which are free to format the information as required. Considering implementing menu trees in gcode as well so that a "lcd_display.g" could be called on setup to format the display and populate the menus - this would make localisation easier (Chris Thomson's idea), rather than have a seperate processor and firmware just to do the display (although that does not hurt I suppose).

Would be happy to help out as required.

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
August 07, 2014 01:27AM
Count me in too, if / when they become available.
August 07, 2014 01:31AM
dc42
Partly inspired by a comments in another thread (thanks zeb00)

Nothing says thank you quite like a free sample smiling smiley
August 07, 2014 03:10AM
Hi David,
put me on the LCD list ...I want to try one

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
August 07, 2014 06:46AM
Hi David

Put me down for one please.
August 07, 2014 09:56AM
Add me to the list David!
August 07, 2014 10:11AM
Do you plan to have a method to upload G files to the Duet from this controller, or is that still only going to be an option via LAN or removing the micro SD card? As said, a method whereby a USB flash stick could be used would be extremely handy. I appreciate that that would mean changing the CPU to one that has an additional host USB controller. Will you be using mechanical pushbuttons for user input? (I much prefer those to touchscreens or touch plates).

I guess these days there are plenty of variations on the theme possible. A board with a CPU, USB port and bluetooth module could be used to control the Ormerod from a phone or tablet app. Come to think of it, a web interface that is suitable for a phone's web-browser would allow that if the Ormerod was connected to the LAN (wired or using a WiFi to Ethernet dongle). Might be more convenient in some situations to taking a laptop to the Ormerod's location.

Dave
(#106)
August 07, 2014 10:41AM
I have to say that the SD card and LCD and rotary encoder that I have on the Prusa i3 is absolutely invaluable to me!

The push function of the rotary switch is essentially 'accept', while the rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise moves up and down the list. Each top menu item is a 'title' which will take you back a menu level.

The sorts of functions that I find useful:

Preparation
*Auto axis (essentially a G28)
*Preheat PLA (temps configurable through the menus - preheats both heads and bed to those settings)
*Preheat ABS
*Move axis (in 10/1/0.1 mm increments), anything 1mm or less allows control of the extruder and the z, otherwise only x & y
Print from SD
*Then you can scroll through the files listed and select.
Adjust
*Flow (increase or decrease the flow rate while printing)
Override functions
*Pause Print
*Stop Print
*Change filament (This pauses the print, moves the head home, reverses the filament until it can be removed. Pressing the button again feeds the filament again, then goes back to where it was printing and continues)
*Disable steppers (Allows you to freely move the motors without them being blocked)

There are a lot of other menu entries, but I haven't really used them yet!

While the printer is running you have data points shown on the screen like:
Bed temperature eg. 249 / 250
Extruder 1 & 2 temperature
Speed in percent
Percentage complete (presume it's per g-code)
Time it's been running
A custom message generated by the slicer, alternatively the name of the file that's printing.

Some Pros:
The SD card can be removed and replaced while the printer is on (BIG plus), but obviously not while printing! tongue sticking out smiley
Getting files to the printer is dead easy and fast!
Just rotating the dial while printing speeds it up or slows it down almost instantaneously.

Cons:
One thing about it that bugs the living daylights out of me is that sometimes the data bus gets corrupted or something, and the screen becomes garbled! If you're not printing you can remove the SD card and replace it and that resets the screen!
Another thing is the rotary switch needs some sort of debounce or acceleration because it is fairly easy to choose a menu item, then as you select there's a slight rotate of the dial and it chooses another entry by accident! I cancelled a 38 hour print accidentally with that mistake!

I would be very excited to have an LCD screen on the Ormerod - graphical would be great!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 10:43AM by VortyZA.
August 07, 2014 10:57AM
dmould
Do you plan to have a method to upload G files to the Duet from this controller, or is that still only going to be an option via LAN or removing the micro SD card?

No, I wasn't planning on that. IMO there are ample ways of transferring files already. I use the web interface, which although not as fast as it might be, is faster than physically transferring the SD card or a USB stick unless the file is really huge. FTP is somewhat faster. RRP also mentioned future work to make the Duet look like a mass storage device to the USB port.

dmould
Will you be using mechanical pushbuttons for user input?

Yes, and a rotary encoder of reasonable quality.

dmould
Come to think of it, a web interface that is suitable for a phone's web-browser would allow that if the Ormerod was connected to the LAN (wired or using a WiFi to Ethernet dongle).

Yes, there is scope for a cut-down web interface more suitable for a smartphone or small tablet. However, the existing web interface already works reasonably well on my Android smartphone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 10:58AM by dc42.

August 07, 2014 11:10AM
[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Have you noticed this post that Tony made on the LCD for the duet?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login