Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in an LCD control panel for the Ormerod?

Posted by dc42 
Re: Anyone interested in an LCD control panel for the Ormerod?
August 07, 2014 11:24AM
T3P3
Hi David

Great if you were to implement this, I have made a start with a 20x4 which is basic and the full graphics display would be better, here is the initial work:
[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

What i have been trying to find time to do is the firmware - I have the general idea specced out - a generic display which then talks to specific graphics panel classes which are free to format the information as required. Considering implementing menu trees in gcode as well so that a "lcd_display.g" could be called on setup to format the display and populate the menus - this would make localisation easier (Chris Thomson's idea), rather than have a seperate processor and firmware just to do the display (although that does not hurt I suppose).

Would be happy to help out as required.

Tony

Tony, thanks for your input, and your offer of help.

I had a few reasons for using a separate processor: (a) to decouple the firmware for the display from the firmware for the Duet; (b) to make it much easier for users to change the display module firmware, which users may be far more ready to do than they are to change the Duet firmware; (b) to avoid putting an even larger load on the Duet, which is already working quite hard. Updating a GLCD needs quite a lot of CPU power if response time is to be kept good, although on the SAM3X it would probably be possible to use DMA instead. The atmega32u4, crystal, micro USB socket and associated components together add about £5 to the build cost.

Using a separate processor also avoids the need to do any level-shifting, except that the signal from the board to the Duet needs to go through a voltage divider.

For the menu, my current plan is to have a new folder on the SD card for user functions. Files in this folder would have names such as "Home X and Y.gcode", "Remove filament.gcode" etc. and the menu would be populated using the names of these files. This would make it easy for users to add their own commands, in their own languages. I don't currently see the need for any new gcodes, except possibly a "wait for button push" code.

For the interface to the Duet, my plan is use one of the serial ports and re-use the web interface code in the Duet firmware, so that the display module could send the same commands and receive the same responses that the web interface does.

Have you any further thoughts or suggestions about the above?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 07, 2014 11:46AM
Hi VortyZA, thanks for your feedback.

I'm planning to implement most of the functionality in macros files stored on the Duet SD card, to make it easy for users to set up their own commands. I will add a mechanism for adjusting the print speed and extrusion factors using the rotary encoder, similar to the way that the sliders work on the web interface. The display will show temperatures, homed status, file being printed, % print complete (based on filament usage), head position, speed and extrusion factors.

I think this covers all the functions you listed (the majority can be implemented as macro files), but let me know if you think I have missed anything.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 08, 2014 09:31AM
Yes please David, one for me.
Thanks

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
August 08, 2014 01:01PM
David,
Yes please one for me
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
August 08, 2014 02:19PM
i would like one also smiling smiley add me smiling smiley
August 08, 2014 05:22PM
Hmm, I have a 4.3" display kicking around I got from a Rohde and Schwarz handout advertising their software defined radio. It's apparently 1280x800, possibly touchscreen but it's hard to pin down the spec. It's an FPC4304006 (I think the 4005 version is non-touchscreen). Do you know if the board you're planning would be compatible with such a display? Touchscreen function aside of course. Just looking to cut down on costs if you're willing to ship without a display grinning smiley
August 08, 2014 05:38PM
I plan to ship complete kits and also boards with just the SMD components soldered. However, you would need to adapt the software and possibly the hardware to use a different display. You might want to check whether anyone has written an Arduino driver for that display. The display I am planning to use is a 12864 with ST7920 controller on board. These are available on eBay for as little as GBP 4.99 although I have a strong suspicion that many of them are rejects (although in most cases adequately functional). I'll be paying more than that to guarantee the quality.

August 08, 2014 05:49PM
Ah well, it's best to go for a hardware combo that you know will work anyway. I kept hold of 2 of these displays with the idea of hacking them into something but I haven't got/developed the software skills.

If you still have these going next month I suspect I will part with some money for one.
August 09, 2014 02:45AM
Put me down for one. I already have a sainsmart 12864 lying around unused, but I'm sure it will need more electronics to get it to work woth the duet.
August 09, 2014 05:36AM
Thanks for all of you who have expressed interest. I'm looking at a couple of options at the moment:

1. The design as I originally outlined, with its own atmega32u4 microcontroller, Arduino Leonardo compatible, programmed via USB, bidirectional serial interface to the Duet. On-board firmware implemented in Arduino IDE, with supporting interface firmware on the Duet.

2. A lower cost design with no onboard processor. This would need need 10 of the I/O lines on the expansion connector if implemented directly, but I would probably use an I/O expander to reduce this to 5. All firmware would run on the Duet.

Option (1) would work out about GBP12 more expensive than option 2 taking into account the additional costs of the components, assembly, programming and testing.

Do any of you who have expressed interest have a preference for one solution over the other?

August 09, 2014 05:47AM
My preference would be for option 1.
August 09, 2014 07:22AM
Also My preference is Option 1
August 09, 2014 07:31AM
On other firmware (Marlin Repetier etc) the display code is implemented within the firmware (on a 16mHz, 8bit MCU) this is limiting for Graphic LCDS and Delta bots which are both processor intensive but works fine otherwise. Because the hardware is so simple it has lead to a huge number of different designs, some connected directly and some using port expanders (over I2C). It means you can hook up a display and encoder with components that cost <£10 in total, when bought singly off ebay.

While option 1 is more elegant, the Duet has plenty of spare capacity to run a graphics display, fast deta transforms, webserver etc fo I would prefer option 2 as it means the same ecosystem of differnt deisplays will quickly grow up around the Duet, RADDS, RAMPS-FD and future arduino Due based boards.

Cheers

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
August 09, 2014 10:39AM
Put me down for one too please, option 1 preferred. I would opt for a self assemble kit of parts if available as an option.

Is there scope for cursor keys in the design for manual control of the axes while making mechanical adjustments?

RS Ormerod #472
August 09, 2014 11:05AM
Tim, I plan to offer both a ready-assembled kit and also just the board with the SMD components already mounted, plus whatever parts users don't want to source for themselves. Axis movement will be possible using the rotary control.

August 09, 2014 11:15AM
I've made a start on laying out the display. Here is my current attempt:

'Speed' is the print speed adjustment in percent, and E1/E2 are the extrusion factors in percent. Most of the numeric fields will be selectable and adjustable using the rotary control.

It's more cluttered than I would like. There isn't really room to fit in the °C and percent signs. Suggestions for improving the layout would be welcome. I'm using a font 10 pixels high for the main text and 16 pixels high for the title at the top.

August 09, 2014 01:21PM
Is there no smaller, yet clear font? Thinking of the windows 'small fonts'. The ideal would be to have both the temperature and the target if you can fit it. Then I'd imagine it's not necessary to say "Printing xxx", you're losing 9 characters of the long filename right there..
August 09, 2014 01:44PM
How much extra would it cost for a slightly larger display?
I feel it would be prudent to design the screen to be future proof and display all of the information needed to run the ormerod as a stand alone machine.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
August 09, 2014 02:18PM
appjaws1
How much extra would it cost for a slightly larger display?
I feel it would be prudent to design the screen to be future proof and display all of the information needed to run the ormerod as a stand alone machine.

Nice idea.... !!!!
August 09, 2014 02:41PM
So far I have been assuming a 128x64 monochrome display. However, 320x240 colour TFT touch screen displays are now relatively cheap, so perhaps I should consider using one of those instead? It would probably add about GBP10 to the cost, whether I use the touch facility or not. It would definitely require a separate processor from the Duet (i.e. option 1 in my earlier post).

August 09, 2014 03:02PM
Hi David,

My opinion is that it is better to invest the First Time enough and it will be a luxory Display with more Option for Development ....

So i quote for a tft Graph touch Display
August 09, 2014 05:12PM
Please add me to the list, option 1 preferred. Karsten
August 09, 2014 05:13PM
Thanks David
The better display has my vote.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
August 09, 2014 07:29PM
I would also happily pay the extra for a better display...
August 09, 2014 07:52PM
I would go for the better display.
August 10, 2014 04:31AM
I'm interested.

I've had various Arduino/Netduino LCD's etc that I was thinking of creating a 3d printer control box that would link via USB and control the printer much like your laptop does... just you wouldn't need the laptop etc.
August 10, 2014 09:17AM
There appears to be a preference for the higher-resolution display, which is also a little larger, so I've ordered one to work with.

Regarding making a control box that connects to the Duet via USB, this would need a USB host controller chip in the device and it would also need to provide its own power, or else have a separate 5V feed from the Duet. So I'm inclined to connect it via the expansion connector instead.

August 10, 2014 01:42PM
Hi David

I am Also interested.

FaFiNoS
August 10, 2014 08:15PM
Hi David, I would like the 1st option please, as I feel the Processor is quite busy enough without loading it any more. And the better screen please.
(BTW I'm curious.... does it eves drop on the data that the processor would normaly be sending to the Network/USB ports, or is it extra data going out of the cpu to pass on the data to the screen).

I like the display. As for the Layout of the display, I think you should leave that totaly for the user to define with maybe a default layout screen as default to get people going.

The DC42 Ormerod bit could come up while booting up, stay up for a few seconds, then clear to allow more room for the rest of the info. I think it would look more professional that way.

How soon are you wanting the money, and when would it be likely to ship? I'm just thinking about where I'll be in the country, and what address to give you.

Kim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2014 08:19PM by KimBrown.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
August 11, 2014 01:56AM
dc42
I've made a start on laying out the display. Here is my current attempt:
Suggestions for improving the layout would be welcome.

For one thing, unless you have several identical printers lined up, I think displaying the printer name is quite unnecessary (while it does look nice). Also, while the print is running, I don't think displaying X and Y coordinates is very useful. I've seen that on an Ultimaker, and it is just pixels/digits wizzing by without making much sense.
Could it have first a "bare necessities" status screen, and then when pressing some button have a paged/scrolling layout to display all the things?

Another thought, would it be possible to have some kind of templated configuration, where the user can specify a customisable layout which fields go where (without having to alter and recompile source code)? (What Kim said)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 01:58AM by jstck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login