Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Optimum printing speed for quality on PLA?

Posted by MrCrispi 
Optimum printing speed for quality on PLA?
August 28, 2014 10:58AM
I am having a play around with printing speeds, and as the vast majority of what I print is for my own pleasure or that of someone else, I am much more interested in quality of print rather than speed itself but I am finding that slower is not always better and thought I'd invite anybody's thoughts on what they think is the optimum speed for quality alone...for the sake of this question let's assume your "normal" filament, no large bridges or overhangs to complicate matters and no time constraints, just a high quality print in PLA on an Ormerod...discuss smiling smiley
Re: Optimum printing speed for quality on PLA?
August 29, 2014 06:11AM
Ive set my print speeds to be 75mm/s, i seem to get good quality prints, any faster and the extruder stepper cannot keep up
August 29, 2014 08:35AM
I'm printing ABS, and find that while most prints are OK at 70mm/s, some prints that have intricate or complex perimeter shapes and/or overhangs benefit from a slower speed.

Dave
(#106)
August 29, 2014 09:11AM
Hi Paul, Hi dmould,

70 mm/s is fast.

Please post your Speeds set in slic3r (infill, Perimeters etc.)

thanks
August 29, 2014 02:07PM
Perimeters 70mm/s
Small Perimeters 50mm/s
External perimeters 70mm/s
Infill 70mm/s
Solid infill 70mm/s
Top solid infill 70%
Support material 70mm/s
Support material interface 100%
Bridges 15mm/s
Gap fill 15mm/s
Travel 150mm/s
First layer speed 50%

That's for a layer thickness 0f 0.2mm. Thicker layers require a slower speed (else the extruder skips).

Dave
(#106)
August 29, 2014 04:31PM
config.ini

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
August 29, 2014 05:02PM
Wow some of you guys are really travelling...@KimBrown 115...OMG!...I clearly need to get my skates on; I've been printing happily at 40...will definitely try some of these if you are getting great quality also...what am I hanging around for? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Thanks for all the contributions so far and any other experiences much appreciated...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login