Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which bolts loosen?

Posted by gnarly 
Which bolts loosen?
September 03, 2014 08:40PM
Something that @dmould mentioned, reminded me that I was surprised not to see any shakeproof/split/spring washers in the kit.

For a machine that experiences continuous vibrations and thermal cycling I would expect some.

I've had a bed nut and the bottom Z nut undo, but I attribute that to me not making them tight enough initially.

Which bolts seem to work loose for the veterans out there?

Dave
Re: Which bolts loosen?
September 04, 2014 01:52AM
I have been running my Ormerod quite a lot since I got it in March, and have really had no problems with nuts or bolts coming undone. I think I might have lost a nut or two in the bed support, but I'm using a different setup there now (the aluminium plate, and support screws standing on nyloc nuts). I was suspicious of some bolts, but I have gone over it a couple of times after a while of printing to tighten things down, and nothing has really seemed to be loose.
September 04, 2014 12:00PM
It's been mentioned a few times but bears repeating - regularly check that the terminal screws in the 12V power wires are tight. I am not being too alarmist when I say that a loose screw in one of those blocks could well cause a fire.

Dave
(#106)
September 04, 2014 01:03PM
Oh yeah. Forgot about those (as they're not really "structural").Tighten them down every single time you move the printer, and every now and then if stationary. Seriously, do it. With the PSU turned off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 01:06PM by jstck.
September 04, 2014 03:55PM
Hi, my machine gets ALLOT more vibration than a regular machine. It travels around the country with me so clocks up about 1200 miles a month, and spends two weeks on a ship, so gets a rough ride sometimes. At the end of the day it's basically all of them. I've replaced allot of the nuts with Nylocs (you can get them from Ebay for pennies), but the main concern IS the power lines mentioned above... The insulation on mine has suffered from heating, and I found the terminals fairly slack when I checked them in the past. The Bed Bearing securing bolts are another place to regularly check.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login