Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temperature Problem moody smiley

Posted by Michmich229 
Temperature Problem moody smiley
September 14, 2014 05:38PM
Hello everyone,

I've just finished to build my Omerod few days ago and keep having problems with the heating i guess. This is what i get with Pronterface (see 273.PNG attached).

I've read that it could be my sensors which are not connected but i have double checked several times, i have rewired the bed sensor everything seem perfect and i still get what i get on the screenshot.

I've also attached the pronterface log which i don't really know what it means.

Thanks per advance for your answers
Attachments:
open | download - 273.PNG (82.9 KB)
open | download - pronterface.exe.log (5.4 KB)
Re: Temperature Problem moody smiley
September 14, 2014 07:01PM
Have you tried measuring resistance across the thermistor wires (down at the connector) with a multimeter? You should get around 90-100kΩ at room temperature.
September 14, 2014 11:35PM
It does indeed most likely mean that the sensors are not connected. However as both sensors are reading -273 itbis just possible that you have a faulty Duet board that is failing to provide +3.3V to tge thermistor circuit.

It is very difficult to get good crimp connections to the fine wires of the bed thermistor. I recommend soldering them instead. I have also had problems getting a good thermistor connection through the 6 pin hot end connector. I now use a different connector.

I suggest you disconnect the heated bed connector and hot end thermistor connector at the Duet and use a multimeter to measure their resistances from the Duet ends of the cables. You should read about 10k for the bed thermistor and 100k for the hot end thermistor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 15, 2014 03:28AM
Thanks both of you for your answers !

i will try your solutions and let you know really soon
September 16, 2014 04:05PM
I get the same problem. It does not see the head heater. I have found that warming it a little with a heat gun and then sending M562P1 and setting the temp.
September 16, 2014 04:54PM
Hi IBDunne, it sounds as though the ADC on your Duet may be out of tolerance. I believe RepRapPro is replacing Duet boards that have this problem under warranty. Otherwise, using the M305 command supported by my firmware fork to adjust the H parameter may solve it, or you can add a resistor of a few hundred Kohms in parallel with the thermistor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 18, 2014 11:57AM
Hello,

Could you give me more details because i don't really know where should take the measurements ?

After trying again i got this on pronterface : T:12.6 B:-273.1, i guess is because i had some contact default on the thermistor wire but i still have one problem somewhere :/

Thanks per advance !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 12:04PM by Michmich229.
September 18, 2014 12:09PM
For the bed thermistor, unplug the ribbon cable connector from the Duet. Then measure between the 2 middle pins of the connector. Sorry I can't post a photo because I'm away from my Ormerod. For the hot end thermistor, unplug the hot end loom connector from the Duet and measure between the blue and green wires.

September 22, 2014 03:56AM
As soon as i get a soldering iron and a multimeter, i will let you know if i've fixed my problem.
October 13, 2014 02:05PM
I've soldered the crimp of the bed thermistor and then measure the resistance.

i get 100k for the hot end thermistor and 8.7k for the bed thermistor, is that okay ?
October 13, 2014 04:48PM
The hot end thermistor is supposed to be 100K @ 25C and the bed thermistor is supposed to be 10K @ 25C. So those values are both reasonable. If you are certain that you have them correctly connected to the Duet, try warming the hot end with a hair dryer. Then press the reset button on the Duet (NOT the erase button) to restart it and clear the temperature fault; or send M562P1 to just clear the temperature fault. If it then reads a more reasonable temperature, then I think we can conclude that the ADC in the microcontroller on the Duet board is outside the tolerance that the design allows for.

October 13, 2014 05:01PM
I've just tried what you said, and i get T:55.2 B:-273.1 and i'm pretty sure it's correctly connected :/
October 13, 2014 05:27PM
So you are saying the hot end reads sensibly when you warm it with a hair dryer, but reads -273C when the hot end is at room temperature. If your room temperature is reasonable (say 15C or higher), then I think we can conclude that the ADC on your Duet is not within the tolerance that the design allows for, and you should ask RepRapPro for a replacement.

I haven't previously heard of the bed thermistor being so far out of tolerance that it reads -273C when correctly connected, so I still suspect that it is not connected correctly. Where did you measure the resistance? It's also possible that you have a fault on the Duet board.

October 13, 2014 06:21PM
No on the Hot end Thermistor everything is fine i guess because from this post :

Michmich229
Hello,

Could you give me more details because i don't really know where should take the measurements ?

After trying again i got this on pronterface : T:12.6 B:-273.1, i guess is because i had some contact default on the thermistor wire but i still have one problem somewhere :/

Thanks per advance !

i had a correct temperature but for the bed thermistor, i've always had -273.1.

I took the measurements as shown here (Picture too large) , i unplugged the wires to do the measurement of course.

Thanks per advance for your help !
October 13, 2014 06:30PM
Sorry, I misunderstood about the hot end reading. It sounds to me that you have a short to ground on that Duet ADC input for the bed thermistor. I recall someone else having a similar problem, although in their case it was the Z probe ADC input that was shorted to ground.

October 13, 2014 06:34PM
i'm afraid i don't really get it, what should i fix in that case ?
October 14, 2014 02:25AM
I suggest you email support at reprappro.com and see if they will replace your Duet board.

October 21, 2014 11:58AM
Thanks for your help guys !

I've been discussing with RepRap support and it turns out that the cable 13 on my ribbon cable didn't have continuity, i changed it, soldered it directly on the bed thermistor (I'm crazy right spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) and now it's working well smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login