Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is firmware ignoring temperature changes

Posted by appjaws1 
Is firmware ignoring temperature changes
September 19, 2014 11:53AM
Hi
Using firmware 0.89j-zpl and web interface 1.03

I am using simplify3D as my slicer and have noticed that the hot end T1 and T2 temperature changes set up on specific layers are not being actioned.

As an example I have for each tool:-
layer 1 193
layer 2 190
layer 3 185

When the print is running the temperatures are set as for layer 1 but on subsequent layers it does not change, the layer 1 temperature is maintained for the whole print

from the generated gcode this is the layer 1 extract:-

G21 ; set units to millimeters
M106 S0
M140 S63
M190 S63
M104 S193 T1
M106 S193 T1
M104 S193 T2
M106 S193 T2
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M83 ; use relative distances for extrusion
M203 X9000 Y9000 Z500 E3000
M201 X500 Y500 Z10 E300 ; acceleration tweaks for improved finish
G1 Z5 F200 ; lift nozzle
G1 X2 Y50 F2000 ; Go to wait for warm position
M140 S63 ; Set bed heater
M116 ; Wait for everything (Bed temp)
G1 E-10 F1800
; layer 1, Z = 0.36
M107 ;switch extra fans off
T1
; tool H0.36 W0.6

Layer 2 extract

; layer 2, Z = 0.6
M104 S190 T1
M140 S60
M104 S190 T2
; tool H0.24 W0.6

Layer 3 extract

; layer 3, Z = 0.84
M104 S185 T1
M104 S185 T2
M106 S153

On the layer 1 extract it can be seen that M106 S193 T1 is listed. This seems a bit strange because the fan should be set to 0 but it is being set to S193, which is the first layer temperature. By layer 3 it appears to be set correctly at S153 I have proved this by re-slicing with layer 1 temperature set to 200 and I get in the code M106 S200 T1

I have the extra cooling fans set-
layer 1 0
layer 2 0
layer 3 60

This is the Starting G-code set in Simplify3D:-
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M83 ; use relative distances for extrusion
M203 X9000 Y9000 Z500 E3000
M201 X500 Y500 Z10 E300 ; acceleration tweaks for improved finish
G1 Z5 F200 ; lift nozzle
G1 X2 Y50 F2000 ; Go to wait for warm position
M140 S63 ; Set bed heater
M116 ; Wait for everything (Bed temp)

I'm not sure if this is a firmware or a simplify3D issue ------ any ideas?

For completeness I attach my ormerod config and the full gcode

Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (2 KB)
open | download - Reel-Inserts.zip (248.3 KB)
Re: Is firmware ignoring temperature changes
September 19, 2014 12:13PM
The M106 command issues look to me to indicate a bug in simplify3d. What does the web interface show the active head 1 and head 2 temperatures to be for each layer?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 19, 2014 12:17PM
M106 is fan speed, so if S3D is inserting a temperature parameter with that command anywhere it must be a bug in S3D. You should report the bug to S3D support - the application is expensive and so you should expect a fast response. I would be disappointed if you have not received a response within one working day (if you report it today I would expect a response by Tuesday at the latest).

Dave
September 19, 2014 12:57PM
Thank you David@dc42 and Dave@dmoud,

Bug filed with simplify3d for the fan issue.

Will the temperature issue be another bug, or is that a firmware problem?

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
September 19, 2014 02:03PM
Paul, regarding the temperature issue, I suggest you ask zombiepantslol as you are using his firmware which although based on mine is different. If it is confirmed as happening with my latest firmware as well, then I will look into it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 19, 2014 04:25PM
Hmm sorry to tell you, but your G-Code file has just finished without problems on my single-nozzle machine. I removed the first few bad M106 calls and adjusted the printing temperatures to 250C, 240C and 235C for the first three layers respectively, but those temperatures were definitely set at each layer change. If you notice this problem again, can you please run M122 via the web interface and post its output here? I've added some diagnostics code to troubleshoot potential problems like that, but it's difficult to fix a bug I cannot reproduce. Btw, isn't your retraction length of 10mm kind of excessive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 04:26PM by zombiepantslol.
September 20, 2014 01:02AM
I presume Paul doesn't have any m109, m190 or g10 temperature-setting commands in his tool change files?

September 20, 2014 03:56AM
I think the issue must be related to either the 2 nozzle set up or ZPL's firmware as I am also using simplify3D and also have additional fans like Paul, but in my case using @DC42's firmware and one nozzle and I am not having this problem...I'm away this weekend, but if it the problem is still unresolved after the weekend, I'll run the same file on my set up and report back...
September 20, 2014 07:17AM
I've just released version 0.89l with additional diagnostics code. If your temperature problem persists, please let me know.

dc42's points make sense, can you please post the content of your tpre/tfree/tpost macros from the /sys directory here? Also, what values are displayed in the "Head 1" text box on the web interface at the first three layers? If the target temperatures are displayed properly, you may need to adjust your PID parameters again. If it's a bit off, it's very well possible your extruder temperature varies by a few degrees.
September 20, 2014 09:13AM
zombiepantslol
I've just released version 0.89l with additional diagnostics code. If your temperature problem persists, please let me know.

dc42's points make sense, can you please post the content of your tpre/tfree/tpost macros from the /sys directory here? Also, what values are displayed in the "Head 1" text box on the web interface at the first three layers? If the target temperatures are displayed properly, you may need to adjust your PID parameters again. If it's a bit off, it's very well possible your extruder temperature varies by a few degrees.

Thank you all who have replied,

I am short of time for the next 3 weeks and will not have access to my ormerod.
I have attached the requested files.

Simplify3d expects both nozzles to be active with temperature controlled by simplify3d. I'm wondering ifthe way ormerod works with standby temperatures and switching the non active nozzle to standby may be a part of the problem. I am also experiencing nozzle blockages and I am still trying to find out the cause. If I extract the filament it will ot come all the way out and I have to take the brass union off and then remove the filament. When I look at the filament there is a slight bulge about 10mm from the end. I have played around with extraction length but that has not helped.

I have just loaded dc42's latest firmware as a test to see if that makes any difference to the temperature issue.

Hope to get back to it later today

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - tfree1.g (76 bytes)
open | download - tfree2.g (76 bytes)
open | download - tpost1.g (80 bytes)
open | download - tpost2.g (80 bytes)
open | download - tpre1.g (85 bytes)
open | download - tpre2.g (85 bytes)
September 20, 2014 03:46PM
appjaws1
If I extract the filament it will ot come all the way out and I have to take the brass union off and then remove the filament. When I look at the filament there is a slight bulge about 10mm from the end...

Sounds like you made the same mistake as me and did not bottom out the PTFE tube in the brass bit, the shame...

Erik
September 21, 2014 11:40AM
ormerod168
appjaws1
If I extract the filament it will ot come all the way out and I have to take the brass union off and then remove the filament. When I look at the filament there is a slight bulge about 10mm from the end...

Sounds like you made the same mistake as me and did not bottom out the PTFE tube in the brass bit, the shame...

[attachment 40650 PTFEtube_brassunion.JPG]

Erik

That is exactly what my filament looked like, although the bulge is not as big. It is strange because it only just started to happen but I think you are right, because I did have a problem last week when the PTFE tube became unscrewed from the brass union at the extruder motor end and I did not check the other end of the tube for tightness.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
September 22, 2014 05:26AM
appjaws1
That is exactly what my filament looked like, although the bulge is not as big. It is strange because it only just started to happen but I think you are right, because I did have a problem last week when the PTFE tube became unscrewed from the brass union at the extruder motor end and I did not check the other end of the tube for tightness.

The mistake I made was to manually retract the hot ABS too fast, I do not think this unsupported distance matters during a normal print as the filament never get that hot on the other side of the alu block

PTFE tube getting unscrewed extruder side - happened to me during a print, yes if the filament is under pressure (brass bit locked in place ) on the +X direction but not on the return (brass bit free to turn), then the brass bit will try to unscrew

Erik
September 22, 2014 12:00PM
The heat shouldn't be getting up into the brass union; it usually means that the cooling system isn't working correctly. Check the heatsink is in good contact with the cooling block, and that the cooling block isn't getting hot at working temperature.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login