Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cannot connect to duet board!

Posted by Steffen Thorsen 
Cannot connect to duet board!
October 14, 2014 04:14PM
Hi guys...

I have some serious connection problems with my (green) Ormerod purchased in May this year.

I have several times tried installing current software and also updated firmware on the duet board. Ive followed the "Commissioning" guidelines to the letter and gone through it several times.

My problem is that I cannot connect to the printer with either Arduino or Pronterface. Nothing is written in the seriel monitor in Arduino and Pronterface never gets further than "connecting..."

I have tried different COM ports, different cables, different software versions, with and without the PSU on, with and without the SD card in both programs.

Im running Win 8 and in Device manager Arduino is recognised as it should be. (And I can connect to the board when flashing firmware)

And now im pretty much lost...

I hope you guys can help me out since im very eager to start printing!

Regards,

Steffen
Re: Cannot connect to duet board!
October 14, 2014 05:56PM
Just checking have you set the right baud rate? You may have a faulty board?
October 15, 2014 06:09AM
Yes.

I have set baud rate on both Arduino Due in device manager and the Monitor in Arduino Due to 115200 as the commissioning says.

I have replaced the board with a new one from RepRap.

Can there be any conflicts on the COM ports in some way? So that even though recognised corrrectly in device manager, the board cannot communicate with the computer?
October 15, 2014 06:23AM
A few things to note:

1. Pronterface will not connect unless the SD card is inserted AND being read correctly at startup. So best concentrate on Arduino serial monitor first.

2. If you are using the standard RepRapPro firmware and you do not have a cable in the Ethernet port connected to at least one other Ethernet device, then you have to wait about 1 minute before either Pronterface or the serial monitor will respond. This is fixed in my fork of the firmware.

3. You need to have Arduino serial monitor set to the correct line ending format. AFAIR you can use either LF or CRLF, but CR alone doesn't work.

4. To check that the Duet board is alive and running, you could connect it to your PC via Ethernet and try to ping it from the PC (having set up a suitable IP address in config.g on the SD card).

5. Can you try it with another PC? Preferably one that is running either an older version of Windows, or Linux.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 15, 2014 12:37PM
Hi Steffen..

I had the exact same issue with my Ormerod 2 (less than a week old.. hehe..)

It came down to "windoze".. It was somehow blocking communications with the printer... Still unsure of how or what was causing it... Firmware upload worked perfect but no comm with Serial IDE and Pronterface.. I Got hold of Ian at RRP.. Did a bit of Brain bashing...

Eventually......
I Switched to my other pc and walla.. Worked Perfectly. Did a Base Clean windoze re-install on the "Funny" one and works now as well.. must have been some software or Antivirus Issue...

Hope this helps.. ;-)

Gordon.
October 16, 2014 02:51PM
@dc42

1: OK
2: Yes I have waited at least one minute each time and after that written the command M105 as the guide says. No response.
3, 4 and 5: Ill will try that.

Thanks!

@phoenix3d

Oh, that maybe a solution for me too then. Im trying with another PC right now. Hope it helps! ;-) Thank you.
October 23, 2014 05:12AM
Eureka!!

I switched to an old Laptop and installed programs etc. And now its working perfectly. Via Arduino, Pronterface and Chrome!

Ive done all the preparation and setting up, and completed the frist print last night - the X,Y Z calibration tools.

Im so exited to finally start printing! :-)

Thank you for your help guys.

Steffen
October 23, 2014 08:03AM
Steffen glad you've sorted the problem out.

I've just finished building my Ormerod 2 and commissioning it about a month ago.

I too had numerous problems with Windows 8 from it not remembering the drivers were installed to it thinking the printer was a wireless keyboard and so on and so on. Finally seem to have resolved all the problems with regard to this after numerous reinstalls of all software, re-flashing the board etc. but then had issues with the printer and the pc not communicating.

Seems to be ok providing everything is plugged in in the correct order.

Need to have the ethernet cable connected to the pc and printer when the pc is first booted otherwise it can't see it for some reason. Also have to connect the usb lead after the pc is up and running otherwise this causes connection issues if it is attached when the machine boots.

Now that I've sorted all these issues it seems to work fine on Windows 8.

Anyway happy printing.

Jon
October 23, 2014 02:56PM
I'm glad you got your machine working too.

jsv555
Need to have the ethernet cable connected to the pc and printer when the pc is first booted otherwise it can't see it for some reason.

Without the Ethernet port connected to anything, you have to wait about 1 minute before the USB will connect. This is fixed in my fork of the firmware.

Also have to connect the usb lead after the pc is up and running otherwise this causes connection issues if it is attached when the machine boots.

I haven't heard of that being an issue before. Maybe it's a Windows 8 thing.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 30, 2014 01:19PM
dc42

I believe it is all a windows 8 "thing". The main issue was getting Win 8 to remember drivers were installed.

There are updated driver certificates on Github that worked fine one minute and then stopped the next time I turned the computer on.

I found that even telling Windows where the drivers were didn't work it just wouldn't recognise them even though it had previously. Once I had installed updated driver certificate information and windows had searched for drivers itself it seemed to rectify the issue and certify the drivers via Microsoft.

Bit of a faff though.

Jon
October 30, 2014 03:03PM
I've been having the same sort of prob. dc42's suggestion of disabling then re abling the driver in device manager seems to do the trick see my post below 'connection problems' but you do need to do that before you open the software and try to connect
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login