Bowden tube and DC42's dual hot-end sensor
October 19, 2014 08:46AM
Hi,
I'm having slight issues with the bowden tube at the hot-end end, bending away from the
extruder and fouling with the wiring with DC42's dual sensor.
So much so, that sometimes the connections are intermittent.

Moving the extruder to different slots doesn't make much difference.

I can see from DC42s hot-end pictures that his bowden tubes seem to be frustratingly vertical, but I can't tell where he's put the extruders.

Before I try altering the length of the tube, or reprinting the hot-end with cable tie loops, or tipping the extruder away 45 degrees...
what have others done?

I know sailor Kim made a 'pillow block' just for this purpose.

Oh, it's a v1 green Ormerod and just one hot end with the dual sensor, and the original-style 2-part heatsink mount.

curiously, DaveS
Re: Bowden tube and DC42's dual hot-end sensor
October 19, 2014 09:05AM
Hi DaveS

I have no problem with that, all the cabling from the hotend is in the +X direction, here's a couple of (old) pics of my setup

Erik
October 19, 2014 11:03AM
Hi DaveS, I have my wiring arranged much the same as in Erik's photos. However, a couple of weeks ago I added a cable tie point on the modified heatsink duct, see [github.com]. This should allow you to tie the cables out of the way of the Bowden tube.

I have one of my extruder drives on the slot nearest the Z axis, and the other on the middle slot. Sorry I can't provide a photo as I'm away from my Ormerod.

You can make the Bowden tubes more vertical by putting an elastic bad across them, but I haven't done that.

Erik, thanks for providing those photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 11:04AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2014 06:46AM
Erik: Thanks, Your photo's are just what I needed to confirm (I must some photos sorted).

It looks like cable ties will be good enough.
I've been printing too much to spend time adding cable-ties everywhere smiling smiley

dc42: Thanks for the information on your set-up.
I'd also read about someone using the rubber band, but also that they stopped using it

Doh!.

I'm an idiot...I've spent my life with electronics..
I know connectors and wires often aren't..
but I was so focussed on 'tweaking' the Ormerod design that
I missed that one connector crimp wasn't fully 'home' on the IR board.
At least with the molex connectors, you can see that (if you look).

I'll just go back to my Man-Cave.

DaveS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 06:52AM by gnarly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login