Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with 0.78t-alpha-dc42

Posted by PaulHam 
Help with 0.78t-alpha-dc42
October 20, 2014 03:22PM
Hi Guys,

Ive been out of the loop of a little while and now it feels that im too far out of it to work out what im doing.

I installed the dual hot end board from DC42 this week and i am having issues with sensing the correct height, im in talks with David to try and fix it and its been suggested that i print a different modified part which will lower the sensor board down.

The problem is that I have only just upgraded to this new 0.78t-alpha-dc42 version, previously i was on RepRapFirmware-57h-dc42. I havent added another hot end, i just have the dual sense board with one hot end.

Im trying to print the modified part but the head1 doesnt work, the extruder doesnt spin and it doesnt heat up like it used to. I have to click the words 'Head1' and it turns it on.

somehow i managed to get it printing and i played with the speed setting, but i got approximately 25% through and it said it had finished (web interface says its printed fully, perhaps a problem when i uploaded it)

Do i need to change my gcode start on cura for it to select the correct tool?
I noticed that after printing, and after reseting a print the axis all turn yellow, the same way they do when the axis are not homed.

Im also having issues with the Z homing (in addition to it not sensing height without paper on top of the glass), when it coems down to home, it stops but doesnt set the Z to 0 or 0.24 (whatever it is supposed to) it stops at the height i set in config.g (G31 Z1.10 P500)

I have a feeling the home files are incorrect aswell sad smiley

Can anyone decode the above and offer some assistance?
Re: Help with 0.78t-alpha-dc42
October 20, 2014 05:19PM
PaulHam
The problem is that I have only just upgraded to this new 0.78t-alpha-dc42 version, previously i was on RepRapFirmware-57h-dc42. I havent added another hot end, i just have the dual sense board with one hot end.

Im trying to print the modified part but the head1 doesnt work, the extruder doesnt spin and it doesnt heat up like it used to. I have to click the words 'Head1' and it turns it on.

That is normal. You need to select a print head before you can use it.

PaulHam

Yes, you need to have a T1 command (and no T0 commands) in the Cura or slic3r start gcode.

PaulHam
I noticed that after printing, and after reseting a print the axis all turn yellow, the same way they do when the axis are not homed.

That is intentional, because the motors are all turned off and the XYZ coordinates can therefore no longer be relied on. However, this is inconvenient, so I am going to change is so that by default it does not turn the motors off after a reset or on completion of a print.

PaulHam
Im also having issues with the Z homing (in addition to it not sensing height without paper on top of the glass), when it coems down to home, it stops but doesnt set the Z to 0 or 0.24 (whatever it is supposed to) it stops at the height i set in config.g (G31 Z1.10 P500)

If you are using my version of the homing files, that is intentional. I don't see any point in dropping the head to Z=0 when you home Z. But you can easily add a G1 Z0 command at the end of homez.g and homeall.g (as in the RRP homing files) if you want to.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2014 05:44PM
Edit: I'm also slow at typing smiling smiley

PaulHam
Ive been out of the loop of a little while and now it feels that im too far out of it to work out what im doing.
Hi, I've just got into the loop so I'm still learning.

PaulHam
I will also be attempting a custom firmware update, and also a better height / Z sensor once I get used to the standard firmware.

PaulHam
I can't recall being able to click on 'head 1', but I am still running original firmware. Which software are you clicking in? A modified web interface or pronterface?

PaulHam
somehow i managed to get it printing and i played with the speed setting, but i got approximately 25% through and it said it had finished (web interface says its printed fully, perhaps a problem when i uploaded it)
How did you upload it? I am only used to copying it to the SD card and haven't had any problems. I understand the cutom firmware allows you to FTP or upload through the web browser. It might help if you give more details than you think we should know.

PaulHam
Now I'm lost. cura, selecting tools, axis turning yellow?

PaulHam
As I understand it, that G code tells the printer that the Z sensor has a reading of 500 when it is 1.1mm above the bed. What height does it stop at? If it stops at 1.1mm when the Z sensor reads 500 then I would guess you have a setting somewhere which is telling the printer to not do the usual 'move down 1.1mm after seeing 500 on the sensor'

PaulHam
I have a feeling the home files are incorrect aswell sad smiley
Sorry, don't understand

PaulHam
Can anyone decode the above and offer some assistance?
I thought I could help but I'm still in the shallow end, learning before I get to the deep end. My advice, as you said you were out of the loop smiling smiley Why not start from the start again? Take it back to original firmware, and hardware, get used to it and take it from there. You can help me along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 05:46PM by MikeyD.
October 20, 2014 05:56PM
I'm a little happier now. I think I have it working but its time for bed now so more work will be done tomorrow.

David, I copied out some of the start code from your whistle gcode I found in the github. I mashed it into the start coffee in cura and managed to start a print successfully (after manually homing the z axis)

All was working well till a small part of the print came unstuck!

I'll get some thinner glass and hope it fixes my z homing problems. Fingers crossed smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login