Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod upgrades?

Posted by Jeek 
Ormerod upgrades?
October 27, 2014 08:47AM
I bought an Ormerod a while back (serial no. 079) through RS, built it and printed some samples.
The idea was to use it for prototypes at work, but it was very inconsistent and labour intensive to use (I never got the z probe to work reliably).

Its been gathering dust for a bit now, and I haven't followed news, so I thought I'd check if there perhaps are some improvements to be made now.
Is it possible to upgrade to Ormerod 2 maybe?
Any other tricks to try?
Re: Ormerod upgrades?
October 27, 2014 09:59AM
It is certainly a steep learning curve, but I have been using an Ormerod 1 (one of the first red versions) to make prototypes for work for many months now. I have since made many improvements to the machine, but the kit as supplied was suitable for the job after gaining a bit of experience. The first thing I realised was that the Z probe as supplied is unsuitable for homing the Z axis reliably, but it only takes seconds to home and find the bed compensation heights by hand using the paper method once you gain a bit of experience. Like any tool, you need to learn how to use it to get good results, and also learn its limitations so as to design parts that are suitable for printing.

After fitting a more beefy PSU (to get the bed to ABS temperatures more quickly), the first "real" upgrade I made was to replace the weak MDF bed with aluminium. That allowed me to set the bed perfectly level without it changing with every print - and a level bed requires no bed compensation, so I no longer needed to carry out that step every time. Next I fitted DC42's differential probe which does work reliably so Z homing is fully automatic as was intended. I have also replaced the X-arm with aluminium, and the glass build plate with a precision aluminium plate. As said, none of those mods are necessary in order to use it successfully, they just make it a bit easier to achieve repeatable quality.

If you intend to dust it off and try again, your first job should be to upgrade to the latest firmware. I recommend using DC42's latest, plus web interface (better to use than Pronterface). The early RRP firmware releases had a few bugs in the movement algorithms that would cause some prints to fail. Note that the upgrade will need you to reverse the X motor wires, change the Z probe wire to a different pin on the Duet, and to insert the "T1" command in your old G files (replacing any "T0" command), your config file and the start code of your slicer software. All explained fully in the text files accompanying the firmware releases (or ask here).

Dave
October 27, 2014 10:31AM
Great, many thanks!
Especially the alu bed is interesting, as mine is very far from level.
May I ask for more details on that, did you replace the wooden support as well?
October 27, 2014 10:42AM
Hi Jeek

Best things you can do:
1. Update the firmware (web browser works so much better, everything else is working a lot better), but check your wiring of the proximity probe, as the pin we use has moved: [reprappro.com]
2. Maintain your printer - it needs oiling occasionally! See: [reprappro.com]
3. Rebuild the bed, to give it adjustment over the bed level; see the 'alternative' bed instructions here: [reprappro.com] and mounting (2nd and 3rd steps) here: [reprappro.com] . Very few extra parts required
4. If you're having problems with the proximity probe, see the troubleshooting guide: [reprappro.com] . Alternatively, upgrade the proximity probe to the 4 wire version: [forums.reprap.org]
5. Upgrade the Y axis to the Ormerod 2 version: [forums.reprap.org]

Okay, I'm biased, I work for RepRapPro, but the improvements over the months since the initial launch have been tangible. I hope that helps.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 10:42AM by droftarts.
October 27, 2014 03:16PM
I am still supplying aluminium bed upgrades for the mk1, they have been widely accepted by users here.

Let me know if you are interested, they are on eBay too, user is DDMetalProducts.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 03:16PM by Davek0974.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
October 27, 2014 03:42PM
Jeek
Great, many thanks!
Especially the alu bed is interesting, as mine is very far from level.
May I ask for more details on that, did you replace the wooden support as well?

Look here [forums.reprap.org] for the aluminium bed

Dave
October 31, 2014 08:13AM
I've been 'away' from my Ormerod 007 for far too long, but I aim to get it back working and upgraded with all the great enhancements mentioned above (and the exciting LCD interface) over/after the Christmas Hols.

One item I like on Ormerod 2 is the metal Duet enclosure, is this compatible with the Ormerod. I'm quite happy to sort out mechanical fittings so wondered if it is a suitable upgrade and what is the price?

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
October 31, 2014 02:04PM
Treth
I've been 'away' from my Ormerod 007 for far too long, but I aim to get it back working and upgraded with all the great enhancements mentioned above (and the exciting LCD interface) over/after the Christmas Hols.

One item I like on Ormerod 2 is the metal Duet enclosure, is this compatible with the Ormerod. I'm quite happy to sort out mechanical fittings so wondered if it is a suitable upgrade and what is the price?

Welcome back Treth, (I remember you from last years xmas break when everyone was having fun unpacking there new toy!)
I have recently managed to get mine up an running again with help from Dmould and DC42 (thanks) after a 6 month break.
I'm just fitting DC42's IR differential sensor board. The Aluminium upgrades are great too. There are so many improvements that all the early day problems are now sorted thanks to the dedication from the forum guru's.
October 31, 2014 02:50PM
Jon Steward
Welcome back Treth, (I remember you from last years xmas break when everyone was having fun unpacking there new toy!)
I have recently managed to get mine up an running again with help from Dmould and DC42 (thanks) after a 6 month break.
I'm just fitting DC42's IR differential sensor board. The Aluminium upgrades are great too. There are so many improvements that all the early day problems are now sorted thanks to the dedication from the forum guru's.

Thanks Jon, it was a great Christmas! Yes the guru support has been fantastic and certainly hasn't reduced! The forum is the most active and positive I have seen. I have all the aluminium parts, the differential sensor and a robust PSU ready to install, so getting very excited. Frustratingly I've had some great ideas I could have printed, if my printer had been functional, but they will have to wait a little longer....

I must start having a look round to see what people have been printing.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
October 31, 2014 04:00PM
Treth
...I must start having a look round to see what people have been printing.

Same old boring stuff :-)

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

Erik
December 05, 2014 01:03PM
dmould
I have also replaced the X-arm with aluminium, and the glass build plate with a precision aluminium plate.
Dave

Dave, did you simply use the X-Arm STL's in the github repo, and have them laser cut in aluminium (I know someone with a waterjet cutter, which I expect will be as good). And in 5mm alu I presume?
Lastly, where did you get the precision aluminium plate if I may ask?
December 08, 2014 07:54AM
pandionx
Dave, did you simply use the X-Arm STL's in the github repo, and have them laser cut in aluminium (I know someone with a waterjet cutter, which I expect will be as good). And in 5mm alu I presume?
Lastly, where did you get the precision aluminium plate if I may ask?

The bed I got from here [www.ebay.de] and the X arm from here [forums.reprap.org]

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login