Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Web Interface Over WIFI?

Posted by PaulHam 
Web Interface Over WIFI?
November 26, 2014 12:54PM
Hi all.

Has anyone had any problems using the web interface over wifi?

Till recently i always had the Ormerod connected to the windows laptop directly through ethernet. but i have now moved to a macbook pro which doesnt have a ethernet port, i connected the Ormerod directly to a switch which then goes onto the router, i wrote the IP into the chrome browser on my mac and the interface popped up, all working well over the last few weeks, printing many things.

Today i have received a upgraded fan in the post, so after fitting it i tried to connect but its not connecting at all. I tried my old windows laptop over wifi also and it doesnt work either. I tried a family members computer which is a wired connection and it works!

On the mac i tried to ping the ormerod but 'Request timeout for icmp_seq 0'

Is this a known issue? I cant work out why it used to work but now it doesn't?

As far as i know i have only changed the fan!

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Re: Web Interface Over WIFI?
November 26, 2014 01:08PM
If you can't even ping it, something is probably wrong with your network configuration (the IP settings on the Duet not matching the rest of your network, it is connected on the wrong port of the router, or you did what I did and neglected to put the SD card back in...). The Duet obviously has to connect using a wired ethernet connection (as that's the interface it has), but I don't think I have ever connected to it using anything other than WiFi from my laptop.
November 26, 2014 01:12PM
I cant ping it from any wifi laptop. but i can connect and control it from the wired desktop pc and it all works fine.
November 26, 2014 01:43PM
I guess you have an error somewhere in your wireless router configuration. If you are connected to a guest network, it may not allow traffic to LAN ports.
November 26, 2014 01:54PM
Apple released a new operating system for the Mac a few days ago. Did you upgrade to it? Quite a lot of Mac users had trouble with the new version.

Is the IP address you have configured for the Duet on the same subnet as the Mac?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 26, 2014 02:34PM
Can you ping anything on your local network from the wifi connected laptop? If not, then (similar to zombiepantslol suggestion) you may have a setting in your router which only allows wifi devices to only see the router and the internet, not other local devices. In my netgear router it is called 'wireless isolation'.
November 26, 2014 05:40PM
Thanks for the responses,
Still no luck, Wireless isolation is unticked in the router setup.

When i try to ping any wired device i get the following

PING 192.168.0.31 (192.168.0.31): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
ping: sendto: Host is down

Ive googled it and it seems to happen often, but there are no solutions. People just buy new routers, not an option for us.

grrr
November 26, 2014 06:08PM
What are the IP addresses of the Mac and the router?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 06:08PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 26, 2014 06:14PM
That was actually pinging a wired computer on the network.

Ormerod 192.168.0.180
Mac 192.168.0.30
Router 192.168.0.1
November 27, 2014 08:37AM
It is definitely a router configuration issue. Your router is no longer passing traffic between WiFi and wired networks.

Unfortunately many Internet providers have a habit of performing an online update of the firmware in the routers they supply without any warning or notification. You should take it up with whoever supplied your router. Sometimes a hard reset to defaults (of the router) and setting up from scratch can cure such issues - but be sure to save the present configuration so it can be restored if everything stops working.

If you want me to make some suggestions of possible fixes/workarounds, you could do the following and post the results:

On a Windows wired PC open a DOS window (command prompt). Type "ipconfig /all" Post the resulting data returned (you can substitute X's for host name etc. for privacy). You will need to open the command prompt in administrator mode if you get a "requires elevation" message or similar.
Do exactly the same on a Windows PC connected via WiFi.

You can redirect the output to a file if it makes it easier to post, by entering "ipconfig /all > C:\{path}\{filename}" Use an existing path and a non-existing filename (e.g. "Wired.txt" or "WiFi.txt"), then post those files that will be created.

Dave
November 27, 2014 09:42AM
The other thing you can do is log on to the router admin page and see if you can find the options for enabling traffic from the WiFi to the wired connections. I presume you have WiFi security enabled - if not, the router may default to allowing WiFi traffic access to the Internet only.

November 27, 2014 10:05AM
dc42
The other thing you can do is log on to the router admin page and see if you can find the options for enabling traffic from the WiFi to the wired connections. I presume you have WiFi security enabled - if not, the router may default to allowing WiFi traffic access to the Internet only.

That's made me think of another thing - ensure that the PCs that are connected by WiFi really are connected to the private SSID of your WiFi router! Laptops tend to automatically connect to the strongest WiFi signal they can access, so they will connect to a neighbour's unsecured WiFi if it has a strong signal. Some routers set up two different WiFi SSIDs (e.g. BT's routers can have a private WiFi SSID and a "BT Openzone" WiFi SSID on the same signal), and if the laptop is set up with the password to access the public section, it may well log onto the public zone instead of your private one and have no access to your wired LAN. I have a BT Openzone password set in my mobile phone, and have noticed that my phone usually uses that one instead of my private WiFi when I'm at home.

Dave
November 27, 2014 01:06PM
Hi guys,

I thought i would give sky a call to see if any of their technical support team could assist me with their router. By their own admission the technical support team are 'not computer people'

Great... after 40mins they said that they will transfer me to tier 2 support, while on hold i decided to check again and it seems to be working now!????

I havent got a clue, but im glad its back up.

thanks for all the suggestions guys!!
November 27, 2014 02:56PM
As another thought, have you ever had anything else connected that used the same IP address as you set for the Ormerod - or have you ever changed the Ormerod's MAC address? If so, it would not connect until the ARP table timed out on the PC. You can fix it by using an "arp -d" command on the PC (requires admin rights for later OS's)

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login