Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just a few noob Ormerod 2 questions

Posted by Magoo 
Just a few noob Ormerod 2 questions
December 01, 2014 02:42AM
Hi all

My z-axis lower mount has developed a crack just above the motor wiring plug (currently holding up with glue) so I am going to print a new one along with the other recommended spare parts in this post [forums.reprap.org]

I just have a couple of questions I am seeking advice on:
1) What are the best settings in Slic3r for printing these parts in PLA and getting good holes (particularly nut/motor shaft inserts) and part strength?
2) How do I get the power socket and switch assembly out without breaking something so I can separate the power supply from the y-axis aluminium rail if I need to? I

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards, Andrew
Re: Just a few noob Ormerod 2 questions
December 01, 2014 03:45AM
Magoo

1) What are the best settings in Slic3r for printing these parts in PLA and getting good holes (particularly nut/motor shaft inserts) and part strength?

there are no universal Slic3r setting that will get the dimensions right on your machine, you will have to find that out yourself

The IMHO most important settings:

Slic3r, filament settings, filament, diameter - measure you filament (do this every time you change filament, can vary a lot)

Slic3r, filament settings, filament, extrusion multiplier - do a single wall test (you can stop the print when hight enough to measure the sides) slice the model, take a look at the g-code file and search for this line:"perimeters extrusion width = 0.50mm" will normally be the same as nozzle diameter, the 0.50mm is what your single wall is supposed to measure, use the measurement to adjust your extrusion multiplier, e.g. if you get a wall thickness of 0.60, then set your extrusion multiplier to 0.50/0.60 = 0.83

Single Wall Alignment Test
[www.thingiverse.com]

This setting will also influence the dimensions, Slic3r, print settings, layers and perimeters, external perimeters first, I do have this box un-ticked but read what Ian RepRapPro has to say about it:
[forums.reprap.org]

About strength of the printed part, the temperature, I would not go below 185C, vertical shells no less than 2, horizontal shells, my normal setting, bottom 3, top vary, depending of the infill settings, a low setting in infill will require a higher number of top layers to get a perfect surface as the first top layer will be bridging and sag a bit - infill, 20-25% should be enough for most models

..and someone else will ad up to what I forgot

Erik
December 01, 2014 07:47AM
I usually use 60% infill for structural parts if weight is not an issue. Speed affects the quality of the print, but it's a compromise between quality and excessive print time. Higher speeds are also less forgiving of slight mechanical maladjustments of the printer. Maybe try 60mm/s for the printing moves as a reasonable compromise with outer perimeters at 50mm/s (or 80%) - you can set the non-printing moves pretty much as fast as you like. If the part has some layers with a small perimeter (e.g. the Z nut trap), print 2 or more at the same time to prevent the small layers getting too hot and deforming. (That part also has some nasty overhangs, and could really benefit from a redesign).

If you are going to replace a lot of printed parts, consider biting the bullet and printing the replacements in ABS - that way you won't have to do the work all over again if you later want to print in ABS or another higher temperature material. ABS will also give you stronger parts, especially if you give them a rub with acetone after printing (which helps weld the layers together). It is however another learning-curve if you have only thus far used PLA, though most of the Ormerod parts are small enough that they are not overly prone to warping, which can be a major issue with ABS.

If you are as disorganised and forgetful as I am, you might consider printing the replacements in a different colour to the original parts so that you can see at a glance which parts you have already replaced.

Dave
December 04, 2014 01:24AM
Hi Erik and Dave.
Thanks for the replies and I will be taking your recommendations on board as soon as I get a chance to do some printing again. Life has been getting in the way of my new hobby this week.

Andrew
December 04, 2014 08:01AM
ormerod168

This setting will also influence the dimensions, Slic3r, print settings, layers and perimeters, external perimeters first, I do have this box un-ticked but read what Ian RepRapPro has to say about it:
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik

I wonder if anybody has the skills and time to fork slic3r and incorporate the changes that will ensure correct dimensions.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
December 04, 2014 08:12AM
The only thing I know about forks is that It's been a while. smiling smiley
December 04, 2014 09:28AM
Magoo
The only thing I know about forks is that It's been a while. smiling smiley

Could you print fork handles?

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login