Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print not aligned.

Posted by Ecko 
Print not aligned.
December 07, 2014 07:10PM
Hi, just made my second print - my first one called for the timing belt (on the heatbed) to be pulled tighter. This helped a lot, but my second print seems to be skipping as well (see photo). Are there any other tips to resolve slipping. I also need to increase the bed temp from 65 to a higher level because the PLA is lifting - any tips on this?
Attachments:
open | download - Fisrt print.jpg (424 KB)
open | download - printing.jpg (478.4 KB)
Re: Print not aligned.
December 08, 2014 03:25AM
I have forgotten which way round that test piece is printed. Is the layer slippage in the X direction or the Y direction?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 03:25AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 08, 2014 03:47AM
Ecko
... I also need to increase the bed temp from 65 to a higher level because the PLA is lifting - any tips on this?

65 degrees should be enough, if you go higher you risk getting the PLA too soft to stick to the kapton - the filament should be squeezed against the bed for good adherence, a close look at the print from underneath should show any unevenness of the bed or if you are printing with the nozzle too high
..or you could be experience a bad kapton day, sometime it just wont stick - clean the bed and try again

Erik
December 08, 2014 04:18AM
Do you have a recent Ormerod 2 with the acrylic spacer on the hot end, or an older Ormerod with fan and heatsink ducts?

If you have the ducts, you may need to add a fan inlet to eliminate backwash, which is known to cause warping of large prints behind the fan i.e. at the +Y end of the print. See [www.thingiverse.com] for the one I use. I don't know whether the new O2 design has any warping issues caused by the fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 04:21AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 08, 2014 07:21AM
I am using the original ormerod and the slipping is on the timing belt driving the bed, not the hot end/extruder. It may be a case that I have the fan too low and it may get caught and cause the slip. It's only a 1mm slip but I it's annoying. I will try and print the inlet - though with the results I am getting I don't know if I can print anything just yet.
December 08, 2014 08:38AM
In the Ormerod 1, there is a tendency for the belt to slip in the slot it is pushed into. The solution I recommend is Matt's printed y-belt fasteners, along with either my shims for getting the tension right or another tensioning device. See [www.thingiverse.com] for the shims and [www.thingiverse.com] for the belt fixings.

December 08, 2014 08:46AM
Also check that it is not the pulley that is slipping on the motor shaft. Check the grub screw is aligned with the "D" of the shaft and is tight.

Dave
December 08, 2014 10:09AM
dc42
In the Ormerod 1, there is a tendency for the belt to slip in the slot it is pushed into. The solution I recommend is Matt's printed y-belt fasteners, along with either my shims for getting the tension right or another tensioning device. See [www.thingiverse.com] for the shims and [www.thingiverse.com] for the belt fixings.

Agreed - Matt's fasteners are great. Personally I use them in conjunction with the Y-Idler assembly here
December 09, 2014 01:55AM
I believe that you should try one thing at a time and while the belt tension etc. is very important, you could be having problems because the adhesion to the bed isn't right, so the hot-end could be jamming and missing steps because the plastic is lifting and catching on the air ducts or the sensor.

There are FAQs on the RepRapPro website, but a short suggestion is use a clean bed covered with a thin coat of super hold hairspray when printing PLA. The bed at 65C should be fine - use between 185-205C nozzle temp. Start at 185C then increase if you have delamination between layers or weak prints or if the extruder seems to be slipping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login