Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

glass for bed

Posted by jamesf 
glass for bed
January 03, 2015 11:11AM
I want to have a few glass beds prepared to speed up going from one print to the next. Not having to wait for one to cool would be great. Is there any specific requirements for glass considering the high temperature of the bed?
Re: glass for bed
January 03, 2015 11:16AM
No specific requirements, just ask for 3mm or 4mm float glass 200x214mm from your local glass merchant. Have them cut the glass to size and also smooth the sharp edges.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 03, 2015 03:11PM
Thanks that's what I thought, then saw some heated debates regarding Pyrex versus normal glass etc.
January 03, 2015 03:33PM
I found that ikea sells 4packs of mirrors with rounded corners in 200x200. They should work just fine. I don't know if this is specific for Danish ikea - I think not.
January 03, 2015 05:33PM
January 03, 2015 06:30PM
Aagaard
I found that ikea sells 4packs of mirrors with rounded corners in 200x200. They should work just fine. I don't know if this is specific for Danish ikea - I think not.

..but that will be a long reach for the clips, normal size is 215x200, 200x200 for printing area and 2x7.5 for the clips

BTW, I prefer the stiffness of 4mm glass for a 3-point adjusted bed - any normal windows glass will do, I cut my own and myself from broken windows - what you say?, can't find any?, print some slingshots then, kids just love slingshots ;-)

Erik
January 04, 2015 03:58AM
4mm is much better than 3mm. Watch out for 'cheap' 3mm or 3.2mm 'green house' glass, it is poor quality, I don't know its production method, but it is visually different from 4mm float glass.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login