Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PanelDue (touch-screen controller for Ormerod) availability

Posted by dc42 
Re: PanelDue (touch-screen controller for Ormerod) availability
January 21, 2015 11:29AM
dc42
I am pleased to announce that manufacture of my touch-screen controller for the Ormerod has commenced...

Order send - thank you much for your time, hard work and support of the ormerod and this forum!

Erik
January 23, 2015 03:26AM
Three updates:

1. I have confirmation from a customer that this display [www.ebay.co.uk] also works with the PanelDue.

2. I intend to withdraw support for the 3.2 inch widescreen display from the firmware. I don't believe anyone has bought this display for use with PanelDue (please let me know if you have!), it is not widely available, and future improvements to the firmware will be easier to make if I don't have to design screen layouts to fit the 3.2 inch display.

3. I hope to make some improvements to the PanelDue firmware this weekend. On my list (approximately in priority order) are:

- Allow temperatures to be adjusted in steps of 10C as well as 1C

- Add provision to do extrusion and retraction

- Add Pause/Resume/Reset buttons

- Make the list of SD card files scrollable

- Fix bug whereby the machine name is usually not displayed correctly on startup, unless you reset the PanelDue after the Duet has finished starting up

- Implement the Message page

- Implement estimated print finish time

- Implement user-definable macro facility

- Implement most or all characters in the Latin-1 character set

Some of the later items require updates to the Duet firmware too and will take a little while. Let me know if you think there is anything important that I have missed from this list.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 23, 2015 07:08AM
dc42
1. I have confirmation from a customer that this display [www.ebay.co.uk] also works with the PanelDue...

Thanks!, will order those

Erik
January 23, 2015 08:24AM
Hi, David:

One silly question is whether this PanelDue is compatible with Huxley Duo ?
If not, which kind of work should be done for this purpose?
Thanks!

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
January 23, 2015 11:54AM
Hi, David:

RRP UK just announced the news of the availability of multi-extruder upgrade kits for all Ormerod kits, as well as the recently launched Huxley Duo, the same question about PanelDue is whether or not compatible with new upgraded OM2.

Thanks,

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
January 23, 2015 12:50PM
reprapprochina
Hi, David:

RRP UK just announced the news of the availability of multi-extruder upgrade kits for all Ormerod kits, as well as the recently launched Huxley Duo, the same question about PanelDue is whether or not compatible with new upgraded OM2.

Thanks,

It certainly should be compatible. I use the Panel Due with my dual head Ormerod 1, which uses the Duet + DueX4 expansion boards. As long as the expansion shield is upwards-compatible with the DueX4, then my RepRapFirmware fork with the Panel Due support included will be able to drive it. You will see from the photos earlier in the thread that the Panel Due displays settings for two print heads.

As for the Huxley Duo, if it uses Duet + shield electronics and RepRapFirmware, then it should be compatible with Panel Due too.

I also have Panel Due working with my Duet-controlled Mini Kossel.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 01:35PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 23, 2015 12:58PM
I am honestly not so interested in RRP heads and I have already decided for the duet4x .... But that mixing chamber they show is so sweet and I do hope the diet4x is compatible with their board.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
January 23, 2015 01:34PM
Fpex
I am honestly not so interested in RRP heads and I have already decided for the duet4x .... But that mixing chamber they show is so sweet and I do hope the diet4x is compatible with their board.

Bear in mind is that the DueX4 currently has a noise issue on the thermistor readings for the additional heads. This doesn't actually prevent you from using the second head, and if you have only one extra head then you can get round it by swapping the bed thermistor and second hot end thermistor connections. I have looked at the RRP shield design, and it avoids the issue. The enclosure and wiring for a Duet+shield should be easier than for the Duet+X4. I was worried that the shield might not make the expansion connector available for connecting additional devices such as the PanelDue, but the photos at [reprappro.com] suggest that it does.

What we don't know is how the price of the shield will compare with the price of the DueX4, which is currently GBP55 including VAT (or GBP45.83 ex VAT) from Think3DPrint3D.

January 23, 2015 03:06PM
My understanding is the the noise issue is onky at low temperatures that does not affect functionality. When this is not true, than I better cancel the duet4x order.
For my Kossel I decided for a smoothieboard with external motors. But I am not sure I will ever manage to put a kraken on a Kossel effector.

January 23, 2015 03:28PM
Fpex
My understanding is the the noise issue is onky at low temperatures that does not affect functionality. When this is not true, than I better cancel the duet4x order.
For my Kossel I decided for a smoothieboard with external motors. But I am not sure I will ever manage to put a kraken on a Kossel effector.

Yes, the noise issue has the greatest affect on the reading at very low and very high temperatures. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, so I modified my Duet and X4 as described in my blog.

I think putting a Kraken on a delta is very ambitious. Have you considered trying an E3D Chimera or Cyclops hot end instead? [Please note, I do not have either of them.]

My delta support in RepRapFirmware for the Duet is working quite well now. I expect to move it into my main development branch and do a release soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 05:25AM by dc42.

January 23, 2015 03:32PM
This is why I am not looking at duet4x and try it in the Ormerod.
Btw if the fluctuations are bad at high temp .... This is a problem. What high is high?
Did you mean the hot bed fix for two heads or the resistor mod?

I like the cyclops a lot .....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 05:22PM by Fpex.

January 24, 2015 04:27AM
dc42
...I am somewhat of a perfectionist..

Lucky you! - me too but with an ad-on: keep things simple - catch 22
Sorry for this silly off-topic interruption - carry on

Erik
January 24, 2015 08:35AM
I looked at the head again, and it is actually not too bad. I probably prefer the cyclops, but this duo seems to finally use better noodles and a better alignment approach than the horrible tricolour.

January 24, 2015 12:25PM
I've done some work on the enclosure design produced by dmould and appjaws1. The mounts for the controller PCB are still in the wrong place, so are the holes for the Erase and Reset buttons and the USB connector, however the cutouts and mounting stands should now be correct for the non-Itead 4.3 inch display. As I may not be able to work on it again until late tomorrow, I have checked it into [github.com] in case anyone who already has a PanelDue wants to do anything with it.

January 26, 2015 12:11PM
dc42
I've done some work on the enclosure design produced by dmould and appjaws1. The mounts for the controller PCB are still in the wrong place, so are the holes for the Erase and Reset buttons and the USB connector, however the cutouts and mounting stands should now be correct for the non-Itead 4.3 inch display. As I may not be able to work on it again until late tomorrow, I have checked it into [github.com] in case anyone who already has a PanelDue wants to do anything with it.

Hi,

i have a itead 4.3 and can´t find a working config in the scad file.....
January 26, 2015 03:37PM
Came this morning, thank you! - sorry that I can't give a hand with the enclosure design

Erik
January 26, 2015 06:21PM
muggi
i have a itead 4.3 and can´t find a working config in the scad file.....

Hi Muggi, I haven't had a change to work on the enclosure design for a couple of days. Tomorrow evening I hope to finish off an update to the PanelDue firmware, and after that I'll get back to the enclosure design - including a parameter to select the Itead or the alternative display.

January 27, 2015 05:22AM
I tried to convert the attached PanelDue housing .scad files to .stl using OpenSCAD. When doing it I get the error "Object isn't a valid 2-manifold! Modify your design." Is there a setting or another program I need to use to do the conversion?
January 27, 2015 07:31AM
pantau
I tried to convert the attached PanelDue housing .scad files to .stl using OpenSCAD. When doing it I get the error "Object isn't a valid 2-manifold! Modify your design." Is there a setting or another program I need to use to do the conversion?

That indicates an issue in the design. Typically there will be a corner or point that is just touching - make them overlap or separate them by a tiny amount and it will fix the issue. The edge that is touching could be a subtractive shape (in a "difference" command), so it is not always easy to spot from the render. You forgot to attach your scad file - if you do so I'll take a look at it.

e.g. - the following OpenScad code will have the "not manifold" error because the cubes are touching along a single edge:

cube([10,10,10]);
translate([10,10,0])
cube([10,10,10]);

Change to this and it is OK:

cube([10,10,10]);
translate([9.99,9.99,0])
cube([10,10,10]);

Dave
January 27, 2015 04:43PM
Just received my PanelDue board. (Thanks DC42)
What is the best LCD to use?
January 27, 2015 05:14PM
Check DC's blog on the first post of this thread. [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] The display which arrived from think3dprint3d today had one which looked like this [www.ebay.co.uk] I didn't have a chance to play with it much, but I plugged it in, printed a snowman and am happy so far.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 05:18PM by MikeyD.
January 27, 2015 05:22PM
The Itead ITBD02-4.3 is good, but relatively expensive ($38 + shipping).. Shipping from Itead to UK by economy mail normally takes about 10 days to the UK, as long as you avoid the Chinese New Year, which is 19 Feb 2015. The connector is at the bottom (or top) of the panel when the panel is in landscape mode. There are distributors in France and Germany for this display, but none in the UK that I am aware of.

There are a number of suppliers of the alternative 4.3 inch displays, all based on a similar design as far as I can tell. The one I have works just as well as the Itead. They have the connector at the side of the display instead of the bottom and use a 3.3V supply, instead of the 5V supply used by the Itead display. The PanelDue supports 5V and 3.3V, jumper-selectable. You need one with a 40-pin 2-row 2.54mm (0.1 inch) pitch connector, SSD1963 chip on-board, and 16-bit parallel interface (not 24-bit RGB interface). Here are links to a couple of them:

[www.ebay.co.uk]
[www.ebay.co.uk]

Shipment from China takes up to 3 weeks. Sainsmart also has one on their web site, which appears to me to be identical to the two I have listed above but costs rather more. There used to be a couple of the Sainsmart displays listed on Amazon UK, but not any more.

The PanelDue also works with 5 inch 800x480 displays based on the SSD1963 controller such as the ITDB02-5.0, but the firmware is not yet optimised for this display resolution.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 05:31PM by dc42.

January 28, 2015 06:05AM
Hi
my itead Lcd s have arrived and they are 3.3volt not 5 volt

luckily I had not changed the jumper from trying another lcd I had

just be careful about the voltage selection

regards

Bob
January 28, 2015 06:22AM
bobexuk
Hi
my itead Lcd s have arrived and they are 3.3volt not 5 volt

luckily I had not changed the jumper from trying another lcd I had

just be careful about the voltage selection

regards

Bob

That's interesting. How do you know they are 3.3v - are the solder pads just below the 3.3V regulator shorted together?

January 28, 2015 06:56AM
hi
I looked up spec from ITEAD web site
[wiki.iteadstudio.com]

will look at pcb when I can later today

regards

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 06:56AM by bobexuk.
January 28, 2015 07:08AM
bobexuk
I looked up spec from ITEAD web site
[wiki.iteadstudio.com]

Although it says 3.3V in the spec, in the pinout it says "5V power supply pin". So I think you have the same display as the one I have, and it is designed for 5V power unless the pads below the 3.3V regulator are shorted together (or possibly fitted with a 0 ohm resistor, and the regulator omitted). But I'm not surprised that it works on 3.3V. The regulator is a low-dropout one, so the core is probably getting around 3V.

I've just remembered that I had an email exchange with Itead on this subject. Here is part of it:

Hi Dcrocker,

1. All lcd module need 5V on the VCC pin.

2. ...

ITEAD Studio

On Mon, 17 Nov at 10:08 pm , Dcrocker wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response and the schematic of the 3.2WD. I have some further questions

1. Supply voltage

Please confirm what voltage the ITDB02-4.3 and ITDB02-5.0 displays need. The Wiki pages for both of these say "Power supply 3.3V" near the top, however the pin diagram near the bottom says "5V power supply pin". The schematic for the 5.0 shows a voltage regulator, so I think it needs 5V on the Vcc pin. Can you confirm that both of these displays need 5V power, like the ITDB02-4.3?

2. ...

January 28, 2015 08:15AM
Hi
the pads are as per your picture
the screens work fine on 3.3volts
I do not want to risk it at 5volts

regards

Bob H

ps will you be enabling the rotary control in your firmware as I already have fitted them to my board

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 08:16AM by bobexuk.
January 28, 2015 10:07AM
I think you should change the jumper to 5V, or else short those 2 pads. There is a danger that the display is receiving some parasitic power through the I/O pins, which would not be good for the ATSAM3S chip on the controller and even less good the SSD1963 on the display.

I don't have any immediate plans for the rotary encoder, and the PanelDue user interface is designed for touch. I do have a good rotary encoder driver that I wrote for another project, so I may add some minimal rotary encoder support and leave it to others to add more to the firmware if they wish.

January 28, 2015 10:12AM
dc42
I think you should change the jumper to 5V, or else short those 2 pads. There is a danger that the display is receiving some parasitic power through the I/O pins, which would not be good for the ATSAM3S chip on the controller and even less good the SSD1963 on the display.

I don't have any immediate plans for the rotary encoder, and the PanelDue user interface is designed for touch. I do have a good rotary encoder driver that I wrote for another project, so I may add some minimal rotary encoder support and leave it to others to add more to the firmware if they wish.

Maybe use a rotary input for a mechanical screen lock/unlock switch to prevent inadvertent touchscreen inputs while printing?

Dave
January 28, 2015 10:45AM
Hi DC/all

My paneldue arrived today from T3DP3D, it's all working fine. Thanks to DC for his efforts with this.

I've been manually setting the nozzle height before every print, so to do this with the paneldue, I would need a button for a G92 Z0 command. I've installed Atmel studio I hope of having a look to see if I can get my head around how to do this, but I haven't had time as yet. I've done some basic programming, so,I'm not sure how it will go.

I've also designed a casing for,the paneldue, which will sit where you want and tilt the screen to a viewable angle, I'm just printing mk1, if sucsesful I will post it up.

Thanks again DC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login