Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PanelDue (touch-screen controller for Ormerod) availability

Posted by dc42 
Re: PanelDue (touch-screen controller for Ormerod) availability
January 28, 2015 01:38PM
I have started new threads for PanelDue firmware here [forums.reprap.org] and for enclosure designs here [forums.reprap.org]. So please use those threads for posts about firmware and enclosures respectively.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 05, 2015 09:19AM
Now that I have added full support for the 5 inch display to PanelDue, I thought it was time to look at alternative 5 inch displays.

The one I tested with is the ITBD02-5.0 here [imall.iteadstudio.com]. The price is $44 + $6.43 shipping, + any import VAT you get stung for. Shipping to the UK takes about a week.

There is another 5 inch display here [www.ebay.co.uk] and here [www.ebay.co.uk]. The price is about GBP21.50 including shipping, plus import VAT if you get charged it (sadly, the basic price of the display is a little over the UK import VAT threshold). These are the same suppliers (possibly both the same supplier?) that provide the alternative 4.3 inch display that works with PanelDue. I expect this one to work too. Like the alternative 4.3 inch displays, the connector is on the side instead of at the bottom. The only uncertainty I have about it is that if it takes much more than 300mA from the 3.3V supply to power the backlight, then the 3.3V regulator on the PanelDue may get rather hot. The Itead display runs from 5V, so this does not apply.

I have around 20 PanelDue boards left. I understand that Think3DPrint3D have a few complete kits including 4.3 inch display left too.

Here are some pics taken with the 5 inch display. I would be grateful for suggestions on how to improve the layouts and/or make more use of the graphical capability of the display.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 05, 2015 10:42AM
Having looked a little closer at those EBAY 5" displays they look to have a separate 5V line for the Backlight it that a possibility?

Doug

p.s. I will be needing one of those boards but not till end of the month if you could reserve one for me it would be appreciated?

dc42
Now that I have added full support for the 5 inch display to PanelDue, I thought it was time to look at alternative 5 inch displays.

The one I tested with is the ITBD02-5.0 here [imall.iteadstudio.com]. The price is $44 + $6.43 shipping, + any import VAT you get stung for. Shipping to the UK takes about a week.

There is another 5 inch display here [www.ebay.co.uk] and here [www.ebay.co.uk]. The price is about GBP21.50 including shipping, plus import VAT if you get charged it (sadly, the basic price of the display is a little over the UK import VAT threshold). These are the same suppliers (possibly both the same supplier?) that provide the alternative 4.3 inch display that works with PanelDue. I expect this one to work too. Like the alternative 4.3 inch displays, the connector is on the side instead of at the bottom. The only uncertainty I have about it is that if it takes much more than 300mA from the 3.3V supply to power the backlight, then the 3.3V regulator on the PanelDue may get rather hot. The Itead display runs from 5V, so this does not apply.

I have around 20 PanelDue boards left. I understand that Think3DPrint3D have a few complete kits including 4.3 inch display left too.

Here are some pics taken with the 5 inch display. I would be grateful for suggestions on how to improve the layouts and/or make more use of the graphical capability of the display.

March 05, 2015 11:35AM
Yes, it could be that the LED_A pin powers the backlight inverter. If so, that should work, because PanelDue drives that pin with 5V through a 22 ohm resistor. The resistor should preferably be shorted out, although my Itead 5" display works well enough with it left in place. On the 4.3 inch display, that pin is one of 3 options to turn the backlight on/off; however I don't see that option block on the picture of the 5" display.

March 22, 2015 10:15AM
Hi

I can now confirm that these 5 inch LCD Touch screens do work with the Panedue.

I am currently working on an enclosure for it and will post those results as and when I get chance to print one out.

Doug
March 22, 2015 12:24PM
dc42
1. I have confirmation from a customer that this display [www.ebay.co.uk] also works with the PanelDue...

Ditto, the two I ordered arrived safe and sound a couple of days ago are very well made, both screens clear and responsive

Found that a USB cable had the exact same wire colors inside and that made installation very easy, the pictures on the documentation page was a great help - thank you much!

Erik
August 08, 2015 02:48PM
Has anyone had success on Marlin via RAMPS1.4?

Been using Repetier-Server and a tablet, but its a bit of a faff and this looks much better.
August 08, 2015 04:17PM
Phytone

Been using Repetier-Server and a tablet, but its a bit of a faff and this looks much better.

As far as I know, nobody has added software support for it in Marlin yet.

August 08, 2015 04:58PM
dc42
Phytone

As far as I know, nobody has added software support for it in Marlin yet.

OK - so my option is to use a Duet board. Thanks for the quick reply.
August 08, 2015 05:05PM
btw there is now a new version of the Duet (version 0.8.5) that supports dual extrusion, as well as the standard 0.6 board.

September 16, 2015 07:36AM
Hello,

How can i optain the PanelDue attachment to the TFT screens? I got couple of screens i want to tryout.
Hope you can help me.

Best Regards,
Daniel van Mourik
September 16, 2015 08:57AM
dvmourik
Hello,

How can i optain the PanelDue attachment to the TFT screens? I got couple of screens i want to tryout.
Hope you can help me.

Best Regards,
Daniel van Mourik

Send me a PM stating what country you are in and giving your email address for PayPal, and I will reply with the prices and ordering instructions.

December 10, 2015 12:40PM
David,
Does the panel Due work withe the Duet 8.5 boards. I am about to buy this board and want to make sure this works. I am in the process of completing my build of a core XY with a ramps board, but want to upgrade it to have the panel due on it.
December 10, 2015 06:46PM
Taz-dig
David,
Does the panel Due work withe the Duet 8.5 boards. I am about to buy this board and want to make sure this works. I am in the process of completing my build of a core XY with a ramps board, but want to upgrade it to have the panel due on it.

Yes it does, in fact the Duet 0.8.5 has a dedicated 4-pin connector for connecting a PanelDue.

December 10, 2015 09:14PM
Thanks David, Are you still selling just the panel due board and cable. I have ordered the board from Think3dprint3d, but they don't have the panel due board. I I want to get the touch screen myself. BTW, I think this is by far the best screen for these printer and think the industry should be moving towards this type of screen on new printers that are coming out.
December 11, 2015 04:00AM
Yes I have just a few PanelDue boards left with more expected by mid January. Send me a PM stating which country you are in and I will quote you the price.

May 03, 2016 08:55AM
dc42
I am pleased to announce that manufacture of my touch-screen controller for the Ormerod has commenced.

very cool. it reminds me of the HX8357D-based touchpanel / lcd that i am using in the EOMA68 Libre Laptop (as a mouse trackpad where you can display buttons actually on the display). i take it that the paneldue is SPI-based? the HX8357D driver chip is SPI-based, and has a linux driver as well.

you may be interested to know that i found a company that can sell an HX8357D-based 3.5in 480x272 colour display for $USD 8 with a MOQ of 250 (i will be buying a batch in the next few months). that's $8 *including* the capacitive touchpanel pre-mounted, which is I2C-based. you need arouuund.... 10 to 12 pins to run the thing properly: adafruit have something similar on their website - same driver IC - except that their product is a resistive touchpanel.

now, i mention about this LCD because by the time it's got to the shop in the UK, the sale price is up to 75 GBP (arouuund... what.... $USD 100 or so?) which is a *huge* jump. the LCD i found is powered from 3.3v, has modest power requirements: you need a step-up IC for the backlight (a SY7201 would do, if memory serves me correctly), total PCB cost including components would be around... $7. the PCB's size would also be tiny (40mm x 25mm at a guess - enough to take a 12-pin header, the 50 pin FPC header for the LCD, and house the SY7201) as the HX8357D is already mounted on the back of the LCD.

what do you think?

[update: found and checked the duet 0.8.5 paneldue header pinouts - it's a UART! intriguing for an LCD. the lower-cost LCD then would need to be connected to the main expansion header unless you put another EC such as a $1.50 STM32F072 or blech arduino onto the PCB]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 01:42PM by lkcl.
May 03, 2016 07:37PM
PanelDue is not SPI based. Even low res mono graphics LCDs such as the 12864 place a substantial load on the main processor. A high res display with 16-bit colour such as the ones that PanelDue supports would need about 500 times the amount of data to be generated by the main processor and transferred over the SPI bus. This is totally impractical. Therefore, PanelDue has its own 32-bit processor to drive the display. It uses async serial comms to the main board, which also allows much longer cable lengths than for SPI or I2C based displays.

You can reduce the cost of a PanelDue setup by.purchasing the control board from me or Filastruder, buying the display direct from China via eBay, and making the cable yourself (I include connectors with the board). Naturally, a complete kit of board + display + cable purchased in Europe on the US will cost more.

May 03, 2016 08:43PM
dc42
PanelDue is not SPI based. Even low res mono graphics LCDs such as the 12864 place a substantial load on the main processor. A high res display with 16-bit colour such as the ones that PanelDue supports would need about 500 times the amount of data to be generated by the main processor and transferred over the SPI bus. This is totally impractical. Therefore, PanelDue has its own 32-bit processor to drive the display. It uses async serial comms to the main board, which also allows much longer cable lengths than for SPI or I2C based displays.

cool. to many that would sound ridiculous - to put a 2nd EC equivalent to the one on the duet itself on a daughterboard to drive an LCD, but i'm familar with ECs, i'm using one in the EOMA68 Libre Laptop: the extra memory in the EC used for the display would act as a buffer. communication via the UART would be reduced to "commands and status". I Get It smiling smiley

what's the processor chosen on the paneldue? [edit, below: found it] reason i ask, is: the 64-pin variant the STM32F070 is around $1.20, you wouldn't need the STM32F072 (that's the USB-based version, aka "crystal-less" but actually what it does is PLL-locks the main clock frequency to the host USB DM+ and DM-, ST then charge an extra $0.50 for the privilege... saves board space and hassle as far as i'm concerned, but you're not using USB here so the STM32F070 would do) - it's one of the cheapest highest-functional highest-speed ARM Cortex processors i've yet been able to find... that is also easily-supported by libopencm3. i've written a GPLv3+ LCD driver for the HX8357D based on analysis of the adafruit and the linux kernel driver code, so _that's_ taken care of.

btw the HX8357D also has an 8-bit, 16-bit and 24-bit parallel "bus" mode (not the same as RGB/TTL) so you could actually do pretty damn quick screen-updates... *without* needing a relatively-expensive EC that absolutely has to have an RGB/TTL interface. the LCD manufacturer i found provides access to *all* the different modes of the HX8357D controller IC - RGB/TTL, SPI (3-wire), SPI (4-wire), 8-bit bus, 16-bit bus, 24-bit bus, and a couple more, i think.

You can reduce the cost of a PanelDue setup by.purchasing the control board from me or Filastruder, buying the display direct from China via eBay, and making the cable yourself (I include connectors with the board). Naturally, a complete kit of board + display + cable purchased in Europe or the US will cost more.

apologies, i may not have made it clear by sharing the information about the components that i have sourced from other PCB projects: i'm a Libre Hardware and Libre Software PCB and EC design engineer: i'm not looking to buy a control board, i'm looking to share the benefit of some design, purchasing and component sourcing experience with you from a large and libre hardware project that i'm running, so that you can evaluate that knowledge and information with a view to reducing the BOM and the cost of a future version of the PanelDue.for future buyers.

the supplier that i found of LCDs is in china: they supply direct (they don't do ebay). they manufacture on-demand, and their prices are extremely good - the lowest EC-compatible-without-absolutely-needing-RGB/TTL i've ever been able to find, and i've been looking for a *long* time. i was quoted $USD 25 for the exact same 3.5in 480x272 plus CTP arrangement from one supplier - this one is $8. they would probably do a 5in display for around the $12 to $14 mark, including CTP.

if you're interested and can meet a group buy MOQ with the team at wedo3dprinting of say 100 units absolute lowest quantity, i can ask them what they can do, if you like. they have a full range of LCDs in these small sizes - 320x240 all the way up to 800x600. their 1024x600 is also extremely competitive, b:t:ut it's a bit odd power-wise and they don't get many orders for it. the rest are large volume so the prices are extremely good.

[update: found the wordpress site with a brief spec of the paneldue]

found it: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] - ATSAMS3B. which is [www.atmel.com] yowser - $3 in volumes of 3.5k. so it'll be $5 and above in small volumes from digikey... hoo-boy [www.digikey.com] yep, $6 in qty 1... yowch.

compare that pricing to this: [www.digikey.com] which is $2.66 for QTY 1 and drops to $1.30 for 2.5k

when it's the main component of the board, $5 down to $2 is quite a big drop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 09:10PM by lkcl.
May 04, 2016 09:25AM
The choice of processor was driven by the following factors:

- Enough pins to drive low-cost touch screens having a 16-bit parallel interface.

- Easy firmware updating without additional hardware. This is why a USB port is provided. Duet users were already used to using bossac to update their main firmware over USB, so it was logical to use a micro USB port to update the PanelDue firmware as well.

- Enough flash memory and RAM

I started off designing it around a ATmega32u4 with an extra 8-bit latch to provide more output pins, but it quickly became clear that it provided insufficient flash and RAM. That's when I moved to the ATSAM3S2B. It would be possible to use a more complex firmware update procedure involving uploading new firmware through the serial port via the main board, but that would require even more support in the main board firmware, which I want to avoid. The processors costs me about £2.60 each in quantity, so there isn't a very great saving to be made anyway.

May 04, 2016 12:53PM
dc42
The choice of processor was driven by the following factors:

- Enough pins to drive low-cost touch screens having a 16-bit parallel interface.

I started off designing it around a ATmega32u4 with an extra 8-bit latch to provide more output pins, but it quickly became clear that it provided insufficient flash and RAM. That's when I moved to the ATSAM3S2B. It would be possible to use a more complex firmware update procedure involving uploading new firmware through the serial port via the main board, but that would require even more support in the main board firmware, which I want to avoid. The processors costs me about £2.60 each in quantity, so there isn't a very great saving to be made anyway.

hilarious, isn't it: you think, "oh i know, i'll add a few extra GPIOs using an I2C or SPI driven digital GPIO chip, because that'll be cheaper, right" and ehhmmm no smiling smiley it's much much cheaper to add an *entire processor*. yeah i guess the atsam is sensible if it's the same one as in the duet.
May 04, 2016 01:04PM
Exactly. Furthermore, the 32 bit ATSAM3S2BA (32-bit, 128K flash, 32K RAM) that I settled on is now significantly cheaper than the ATmega32u4 (8-bit, 32K flash, 2.5K RAM) that I started with.

May 04, 2016 01:17PM
I have just noticed that the latest screen shots or PanelDue in this thread are rather old. Here is a set of four up-to-date ones, including the on-screen keyboard.

These show the 7 inch screen. 5 inch and 4.3 inch screens are also supported. Up to 5 heaters can be displayed using the 4.3 inch screen, or 7 using the 5 or 7 inch screen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 01:23PM by dc42.

June 07, 2016 08:14AM
Just to let you know I bought a sainsmart 7" LCD and it works perfectly with the Paneldue.

This was the only 7" display I could find in the UK, as I didn't want to have import duty or wait for stuff from China. It cost about £36.88 in total and arrived in 4 days.

I would like to ask if it's possible to adjust the brightness of the backlight on the LCD using the Paneldue firmware.

I see some of the earlier photos have a blue background, but the Paneldue software for the 7" has a white background?

It's a lovely bit of kit for adjusting printer settings on the fly, when my laptop is elsewhere. I went for the 7" as we use the 3d printer on open days to show off student projects, and so it's great to be able to see what the software is doing, without having a PC nearby.
June 07, 2016 10:45AM
Mitch, thanks for your feedback.

Currently was have no facility for controlling the backlight brightness, so it always runs at full brightness. I presume you want to dim it? The prototype had this facility, but I dropped it when we dropped the 3.2" display, because the replacement displays from Itead had no facility for varying the brightness. However, most of the displays people are using now do have this facility, so I will probably add it in the next revision of the board. It would be retrofittable to existing boards by removing one SMD resistor and adding a wire.

I guess another alternative would be to make the colours configurable, then you could use a grey background instead of white.

Older versions of the firmware did have a blue background, but after comments that the UI looked a bit retro, I redesigned it using a more modern style and a white background.

FYI I have never had to pay UK import VAT when buying these displays one-off from China.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 10:45AM by dc42.

June 07, 2016 01:07PM
dc42

FYI I have never had to pay UK import VAT when buying these displays one-off from China.

I ordered a 7" screen from the link on your page a few weeks ago. It came in less than 2 weeks and like you nothing payable on receipt. The cost is way below import duty charges but I was expecting VAT. Must be something to do with the gift box ticked on the transport label. smiling smiley

You pay VAT on goods over £15 and on gifts over £34. There is no customs duty on anything less than £135.[www.gov.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 01:14PM by trevmas.
October 15, 2016 10:34AM
Dear David,
Great work as usual! Do you still sell the 4" display+board? What is the price for shipping to India (pin code; 700033)? I was thinking of upgrading my OM2 (with Duet v0.6) with a touch-screen solution.

Thanks
Sumant
October 15, 2016 12:55PM
7sumantb
Dear David,
Great work as usual! Do you still sell the 4" display+board? What is the price for shipping to India (pin code; 700033)? I was thinking of upgrading my OM2 (with Duet v0.6) with a touch-screen solution.

Thanks
Sumant

I only sell the board and optionally the cable, here [www.escher3d.com]. You can buy the complete kit including 4.3 inch display from Think3DPrint3D here [www.think3dprint3d.com].

In response to a previous request, the new (version 2.0) board includes brightness control. It also supports connecting the SD card socket on the display to the connector on the Duet WiFi.

February 01, 2017 06:44AM
Hate to pull out old topics, but couldn't find a more recent one.
Anyhow, I was wondering if it's possible to replace the buttons with graphics, i saw some .bmp images being used inside a button, but i would like to use the .bmp AS the button.
Any ideas on going about this?

EDIT:
The way i was thinking of going about this was to render the .bmp at the position, and check if the touch input is withing the pixels of that image and register it as a buttonpress.
I'm not sure though if this is a viable way to do this, or if it would interfere with popup windows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 07:33AM by Napalm1432.
February 01, 2017 04:34PM
Yes it would be possible, although I can't see the advantage. One of the reasons for having button outlines is so that users know what they can press to get a response. But I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the user interface without sacrificing functionality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login