Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help converting STL files to g codes.

Posted by Jon Steward 
Help converting STL files to g codes.
January 24, 2015 03:18AM
I've received a couple of files that I'd like to print.
I don't think these files were created in a 3D printing format so I have tried to view these in Slic3r and generate a g code file.
Am I going to have any success?
Attachments:
open | download - Lg Ring.stl (520.8 KB)
open | download - Ring 1.stl (247 KB)
Re: Help converting STL files to g codes.
January 24, 2015 04:15AM
Jon Steward
..Am I going to have any success?

Yes you can be Lord of the Rings! - model is in inch - scale up x 25.4

Erik
January 24, 2015 04:27PM
Thanks Erik

Much appreciated.

What program are you using there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 04:42PM by Jon Steward.
January 24, 2015 06:30PM
Simplify3d, has a lot of nice features I don't find in other slicers, it do cost money but then again it saves me from a lot of failed prints, so on a long enough timeline the cost of program will break even with filament saved

One of the features I like is the "what you see is what you get" preview of the print, stepable though the layers, I also like the feature of manually added support - and the multiple processes with full control of every setting - e.g to be able to print in finer layer in those parts of print where detail matter, e.g. this print, lower part printed in 0.2 upper part in 0.05

Erik
January 25, 2015 08:58AM
Yes I agree with Erik, it's a nice program, but sadly it doesn't support line gap infills yet. OTOH it provides lots of options to improve print quality (e.g. corner coasting and ooze control) and its support generation feature is the best one I've seen so far. If you want to print more complex objects with overhangs, I don't think there is any better alternative to Simplify3D.
January 26, 2015 07:10AM
zombiepantslol
Yes I agree with Erik, it's a nice program, but sadly it doesn't support line gap infills yet.

I thought that was an additional feature on the last release? I've not tried to use the feature so maybe I'm mistaken. All my prints since my last S3D update have been my own designs where I deliberately make all thin walls a multiple of the extrusion width.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login