Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Look what the cat brought in...

Posted by tstone 
Look what the cat brought in...
January 26, 2015 10:39PM
Well not really:

Any idea how the save the printhead? Heat i suspect...

A large print nearly completly covering the printbed seems to show warping even with PLA.
This i suspect the main reason for this accident.
Re: Look what the cat brought in...
January 26, 2015 11:29PM
Heat up the printhead and wait for the pla gets melting. Then you can remove it with a pliers
January 27, 2015 02:40AM
I would try a heat gun.

Do you have a backwash eliminator on the back of your fan? The backwash has been found to cause warping of large PLA parts.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 27, 2015 04:31AM
dc42
I would try a heat gun.
Yes, i think thats probably the best way, given that awful lot of PLA has accumulated.
dc42
Do you have a backwash eliminator on the back of your fan? The backwash has been found to cause warping of large PLA parts.
No, but thats a good point! I had the flap of my printhead closed and was a little disapointed that i had warping of PLA (albeit nearly
filling the complete printbed). But i felt the backwash of the fan when putting a hand nearby, so i guess thats one of the first things i
will print when i got my O2 printing again. I refrained from mounting one before as i already increased the weight with the slightly larger
fan. But then the printbed has even more weight so probably there is still some headroom.
January 27, 2015 04:53AM
tstone
... was a little disapointed that i had warping of PLA ...

I find that some of the original RepRapPro Ormerod printed parts have signs of warping so don't feel bad about, it a general problem

Erik
January 27, 2015 05:03AM
..but I like that blob - so peaceful it looks with eyes wide shut and thermometer in mouth

Erik
January 27, 2015 05:09AM
I had the same problem twice. I cranked up the hotend to 240°C and let it sit for a couple of minutes. the PLA around the metal starts to melt and you can pry it off with some pliers. or your fingers. after that i used a flathead screwdriver to scrape off remaining plastic.
January 27, 2015 07:15AM
dc42
I would try a heat gun.

I'm not sure about that - heating the block may work better, because the plastic would melt from the inside out rather than the outside in, which may make it easier to pull away from the metal. Plus if the thermistor is connected and it is heated using the Duet, the temperature can be controlled so the plastic doesn't burn.

Dave
January 27, 2015 08:09AM
is /was that the mount for the nozzle?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 08:10AM by steve0-uk.
January 27, 2015 09:24AM
steve0-uk
is /was that the mount for the nozzle?

Well its also the printing nozzle, but its kind of obstructed by green hardned PLA goo :-/

But Erik got it right, its looking indeed very peacful so that i have bad feeling prying my hotend from it...

Probably i will first try heating from the inside before using the heatgun...
January 27, 2015 09:43AM
If the thermistor is still in there and working, then I agree that heating it from the inside is the first thing to try. But from your photo, I got the impression that the thermistor is no longer connected.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 27, 2015 05:07PM
It looks as if i am back in the printing business :-)

The only loss was the insulation of the thermistor.

As i still could connect the thermistor i heated up the nozzle to 240°C and then removed the PLA blob.

Unfortunatly the heater got out of its hole and plastic got on the heater and into the heater hole. I got rid of that later
by heating with hot air and then just pushing in the heater back into its place.

Thanks for all the good suggestions :-)
Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login