Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PanelDue printable enclosure designs

Posted by dc42 
PanelDue printable enclosure designs
January 28, 2015 01:36PM
I've done a lot of work on the enclosure design today and checked in the new OpenScad file at [github.com]. I've also checked in exported STL files for the three display variants. The exported ones don't have the optional lid, or the shaft for the rotary encoder.

I haven't printed any of these yet, so they may contain errors. Let me know if you find any.

If you reconfigure the OpenScad file to include a lid, then you will need to add a cutout somewhere on the back edge of the box to pass the cable through.

Thanks to dmould and appjaws1 for doing the original design work.

EDIT: currently, if you want to enable the screw lid option, you will need to increase Mclearance to make room for the lid pillars. It would be better to set the lid pillars into the corners of the box with a 45 degree overhang, to avoid having to do this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 01:44PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: PanelDue printable enclosure designs
January 29, 2015 09:48AM
I've now printed an enclosure, and as expected found a few issues. The buzzer sound holes were too small at 1mm and got filled in. The overall depth was too little, so was the position of the cutout for the USB connector. I'll check in a new model when I've done some more checks, hopefully later today.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 29, 2015 01:23PM
I've corrected another problem and uploaded new files at [github.com].

January 29, 2015 02:20PM
Thanks a lot!
I received the screen yesterday, but unsure when I will mount it due to work trips taking me away for three week.

I am not familiar with openscad, so I hope I can see how to use the enclosure as well.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
January 29, 2015 03:05PM
I've checked in ready-generated STL files for the 3 main display types, so if you are happy to use the standard design without lid, you can use one of those instead of using the OpenScad file.

January 29, 2015 03:07PM
Thanks!

January 30, 2015 03:55PM
I printed the STL file for the alternate 4.3 inch display (similar to the one T3P3 are supplying in their kits), and the dimensions and fixing centres are all correct. Two of the 1.5mm sound holes for the piezo buzzer got filled in, so I drilled all four of them out to 1.5mm. I also drilled out all the mounting screw holes to 2mm.

The left picture was taken with flash (which is why the display appears dim - in reality, it is very bright), and the right picture without flash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 03:57PM by dc42.

January 30, 2015 04:11PM
Very nice. Where do you place it?

January 30, 2015 04:59PM
Fpex
Very nice. Where do you place it?

That's a very good question! For the Ormerod 1, I plan to place it on top of the Z axis. For now, I may just stick it there
with a piece of double sided carpet tape.

For the mini Kossel, if I drill two 3mm holes in the bottom edge, I can screw it to one of the top horizontal extrusions.

Paull (appjaws1) included a swivel mount in the design that I adapted, but I haven't yet worked out exactly how to merge it with the main part. I've left it as a selectable option in the OpenScad model, in the hope that Paul or someone else will make the necessary adjustments to the model.

January 30, 2015 10:43PM
I have enclosed a zip file which contains the files needed to modify and print appjaws-LCD-Z-mount. This mount can be used with the box and mount published here post from another thread but preferably use dc42's recently modified versions.

Have fun

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-LCD-Z-mount.zip (179.1 KB)
January 31, 2015 02:51PM
Decided to try side mounting.

Files posted on Thingiverse in case anybody wants to try them.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 02:36PM by JDNicolson.
February 01, 2015 10:29AM
Hi Guys.

I didn't want to go with the PanelDue attached to my Ormerod, so I came up with this.

It fits the kit sold by T3DP3D.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 10:32AM by Yella3D.
February 01, 2015 12:55PM
Yella3D
Hi Guys.

I didn't want to go with the PanelDue attached to my Ormerod, so I came up with this.

[attachment 48275 DSC08747b.JPG]

It fits the kit sold by T3DP3D.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Like it will print one now.

Thanks for this!

Doug
March 01, 2015 02:29AM
Hi

This is probably a silly question.
I'd like to print the free standing Panel due enclosure. So having downloaded the stl from Thingiverse and opened up the file in Slic3r. I found the object upside down and inverted.
I managed to flip the object around the Z axis but not managed to invert it. (see print)
Where am I going wrong?
Attachments:
open | download - 20150301_070207.jpg (142.9 KB)
March 01, 2015 06:51AM
Jon Steward
..I managed to flip the object around the Z axis but not managed to invert it. (see print)

there are no silly questions, only silly answers

Flip it around the y-axis instead, then drop on table, that should fix it

Erik
March 01, 2015 10:55AM
ormerod168
Jon Steward
..I managed to flip the object around the Z axis but not managed to invert it. (see print)

there are no silly questions, only silly answers

Flip it around the y-axis instead, then drop on table, that should fix it

[attachment 50197 front2.JPG]
[attachment 50198 front2a.JPG]

Erik

Hi Eric

What version of Slic3r is that. I cant find that page on my version 1.1.7
and I can only see how to rotate it around the Z axiz , not X or Y

Don
March 01, 2015 12:29PM
Don Recardo
What version of Slic3r is that. I cant find that page on my version 1.1.7
and I can only see how to rotate it around the Z axiz , not X or Y..

Was in Simplify3d, sorry, have flipped and zipped it for you but the size is still way over the 614.4Kb post limit so cant attach here - please PM you mail address and I'll mail it to you

BTW, I often use Slic3r to cut models in two, that is something Simplify3d cannot do

Erik
March 01, 2015 03:42PM
Hi Don

Erik advised me to flip the Y axis first then the z axis.
This worked for me. Thanks Erik,
I've used the latest Slic3r experimental software and can adjust the x, y and z 'flipping' from the 'Object' tab. Which is new to Slic3r.
I'm currently printing Yella's enclosure in grey ABS on glass, ZPL recons I'm lucky to achieve this but still no problem for me.
Each flip took about 40 minutes. I don't know why that is.
March 01, 2015 04:52PM
The latest version of Slic3r can rotate around any axis. There is an additional "flip" command which will mirror the object, so you need to rotate, not flip.

Dave
March 01, 2015 04:56PM
Thanks for the heads up Jon

I will download the experimental version and give it a try ,
I thought I was cracking up at first because I couldnt see where to flip the X and Y
but of course in the version I have you cant , but Erik pointed out it was Simplify3d he was referring to

I would like to make the stand alone enclosure but my display is 5" so it wont fit as is

Don
March 01, 2015 05:53PM
Nice case. I am been Austen fir a while as I am busy getting my kickstarter going, but this variant di the case is really nice.

March 02, 2015 07:35AM
Don Recardo
Thanks for the heads up Jon

I will download the experimental version and give it a try ,
I thought I was cracking up at first because I couldnt see where to flip the X and Y
but of course in the version I have you cant , but Erik pointed out it was Simplify3d he was referring to
Don

Maybe download version 1.2.6 of Slic3r - it has many useful new features such as a preview of the sliced paths and the ability to rotate about any axis & mirror as well as a few other additional features. I have looked at it but not yet used it as I have Simplify3D, but I have not read about any major bugs on the Slic3r group as yet.

Dave
March 02, 2015 07:43AM
I found version 1.2.0 of slic3r very buggy, but I have now switched from 1.1.7 to 1.2.6 and found it good so far.

March 08, 2015 02:22PM
I decided to Put one of Daves great Panel Dues on my Ormerod 2
but I dont fancy mounting it on the printer . Knowing my luck I would at some time bump into it
and break it or the printer as a result.

Instead I used Daves design for the enclosure but intead of using his normal screw on lid I made my own with legs on
so that the display can sit anywhere on the desk at a nice slope that makes it easy to use.
The lid / stand looks like this

I also mounted a 4 pin mini din on the back rail of the stand so I can unplug it from the printer to make the setup easier to move around

This was the finished job which I am very happy with as it works a treat

I would have included the stl for the stand but there is no pointl. Although I am using the ITDB-02 5" display I have one of the first
models and since then it seems Itead changed the dimensions slightly so my enclosure wont fit your 5" display
but the pictures will hopefully give you an idea of how you can do it

Don
April 12, 2015 01:09PM
Hi,

Here is my design. I was not fully happy with the panel board on the side of lcd screen so i used short 40pin extension cable to put it behind lcd screen.
My design include mounting bracket to stick it (double side adhesive tape) at the top of my power supply module but it can be easily modified to mount somewhere else or even use it as a stand.

All stl files and example photos attached.

FaFiNoS
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0067.jpg (304.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_0069.jpg (325.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_0070.jpg (344.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_0071.jpg (363.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_0073.jpg (246.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0075.jpg (229 KB)
open | download - PanelDue - Part 1.stl (71 KB)
open | download - PanelDue - Part 2.stl (138.3 KB)
open | download - PanelDue - Part 3.stl (70.9 KB)
open | download - PanelDue - Part 4.stl (28.2 KB)
July 12, 2015 12:39PM
Anyone have a case design for the 5" ebay display?
March 18, 2016 06:54PM
Just one question:
Where did you get the cable?
April 01, 2016 02:34PM
This is the cable i used when i copied FaFiNoS
[www.ebay.co.uk]

I still havent got a case for it though, as i brought the 5" display from ebay, The touch control isnt the best on it
April 01, 2016 05:57PM
Paul, which eBay supplier did you buy the screen from, and what is the issue with the touch control? I may be abe to improve it in firmware.

Bear in mind that these resistive touch panels have very different behaviour from the capacitive ones used on smartphones. The capacitive ones sense the proximity of an area of your fingertip. The resistive ones sense pressure, and I find it best to use the tip of my fingernail on them.

April 04, 2016 08:04AM
dc42
Paul, which eBay supplier did you buy the screen from, and what is the issue with the touch control? I may be abe to improve it in firmware.

Bear in mind that these resistive touch panels have very different behaviour from the capacitive ones used on smartphones. The capacitive ones sense the proximity of an area of your fingertip. The resistive ones sense pressure, and I find it best to use the tip of my fingernail on them.

A ball-ended stylus helps a lot, especially on small screens or where the touch area you need to activate is small. It would be possible to print a stylus and provide clips or a vertical hole on the case to store it.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login