Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bowden tube coming out of extruder

Posted by Don Recardo 
Bowden tube coming out of extruder
February 28, 2015 09:31AM
Its happened twice now .
During a print the little tongue that holds the bowden tube into the extruder body fell out
the result being it stops extruding and the print is ruined.
Last night it really peed me off because it had been printing for almost 4 hours and I sat with it to make sure
nothing went wrong, about half an hour before it was due to finish I nipped out to make a cuppa and when I came back
the bowden tube was free

I decided I have to stop this happening again so altered the extruder body so that I could put a 3mm screw through it
and into the hole in the tongue that retains the bowden tube . This now stops it falling out

extruder-drive-block-new.STL
Re: Bowden tube coming out of extruder
February 28, 2015 11:25AM
Good mod. I had it happen to me yesterday, but fortunately just as the print started, so not much time wasted. I had to print a new tongue after the one I had used for over a year broke last week, so the new one obviously does not fit as tight as the old one.

Dave
March 03, 2015 08:59AM
I think someone else did this mod ages ago, and shared the file. Alternatively, put a cable tie around the Bowden tube, and through the hole in the tongue.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
March 03, 2015 09:21AM
droftarts
I think someone else did this mod ages ago...

Mr.Burns dunnit (February 18, 2014 03:47AM) - flap under the gap and pfte-tube extruder mod, two for the price of one..

[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
March 03, 2015 11:05AM
I'm hoping that masonstonehenge will do a variant of his spring-loaded extruder design to use a pneumatic connector. My Mini Kossel uses these and I have found them to be totally reliable - although I have read that there are different sorts and some grip the tube much better than others.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

March 03, 2015 11:27AM
droftarts
I think someone else did this mod ages ago, and shared the file. Alternatively, put a cable tie around the Bowden tube, and through the hole in the tongue.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

I didnt realise they had, I only got my printer this year so I hadn't been looking at the forum when it came out
March 03, 2015 01:40PM
dc42
I'm hoping that masonstonehenge will do a variant of his spring-loaded extruder design to use a pneumatic connector. My Mini Kossel uses these and I have found them to be totally reliable - although I have read that there are different sorts and some grip the tube much better than others.

That is a nice fix, I use them fittings at work and they really do grip, never thought of sticking one there though smiling smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 03, 2015 01:59PM
Well who would like to guinea pig this version of the spring-loaded extruder?
I don't want to post it on Thingiverse as yet, but it includes the following changes:
1) a larger radius (35mm) for dc42's sake to see if it's the tight radius that causes the filament to break overnight. smiling smiley
2) It has the PTFE tube going all the way through the part to just before the hobbed nut (slightly wider for those that found the hole was too small).
3) It has a 5.2mm hole into the top of the part for the pneumatic fitting. (The 5.2mm will probably print to about 5mm - your mileage may vary)

This link will remain active until a week or so has passed..
Link to the zip file containing stls

Disclaimer: Be aware that this is a purely test version, so there might be mistakes.. smiling smiley
Please provide feedback.

Thanks,
VortyZA/MasonStonehenge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 02:02PM by VortyZA.
March 03, 2015 02:08PM
dc42

Dave

You wouldn't happen to have the STL file for that extruder would you?

One tip tho is if you can pass the 4mm PTFE all the way thru the coupling and thru the extruder body and shape it so it is just clear of the hobbed drive.
March 03, 2015 02:22PM
dougal1957
dc42

Dave

One tip tho is if you can pass the 4mm PTFE all the way thru the coupling and thru the extruder body and shape it so it is just clear of the hobbed drive.

Refer to the post before yours tongue sticking out smiley
March 03, 2015 02:37PM
VortyZA
dougal1957
dc42

Dave

That's typical Whilst I'm drafting a post someone post's the info I'm after ah well it's there now just about to download it and have a look smileys with beer

Actually I need the STL's for the complete extruder not just the spring loaded part tho that is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 02:43PM by dougal1957.
March 03, 2015 02:48PM
dougal1957
VortyZA
dougal1957
dc42

Dave

That's typical Whilst I'm drafting a post someone post's the info I'm after ah well it's there now just about to download it and have a look smileys with beer

Actually I need the STL's for the complete extruder not just the spring loaded part tho that is appreciated.

This extruder is composed of 2 parts, the part that attaches to the motor and the part that pivots - I might be misunderstanding your question?
March 03, 2015 02:52PM
VortyZA
dougal1957
VortyZA
dougal1957
dc42

Dave

This extruder is composed of 2 parts, the part that attaches to the motor and the part that pivots - I might be misunderstanding your question?

Ok What I actually need is all the Stl's to be able to print all the parts to make it work ie all the gears bodies mount etc.

Doug
March 03, 2015 03:45PM
VortyZA
I don't want to post it on Thingiverse as yet, but it includes the following changes:
1) a larger radius (35mm) for dc42's sake to see if it's the tight radius that causes the filament to break overnight. smiling smiley
2) It has the PTFE tube going all the way through the part to just before the hobbed nut (slightly wider for those that found the hole was too small).
3) It has a 5.2mm hole into the top of the part for the pneumatic fitting. (The 5.2mm will probably print to about 5mm - your mileage may vary)

Thanks! However, as the fitting is M5 threaded, the hole needs to be about 4.5mm so that I can M5 tap it - unless you think there is room for a nut. Do you mind adjusting the STL?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 04, 2015 04:37AM
dougal1957
dc42

Dave

If you mean the extruder in the picture, it's the extruder we use on our Mendel and Huxley printers. Though it might have been modified to fit the pneumatic connector. Our original version is here: [github.com]

It is compact, has a sprung idler, and generally works well. The main problem with it is that the large and small gears have small teeth; we print them with a 0.3mm nozzle to get good gears.

Ian
RepRapPro
March 04, 2015 07:52AM
VortyZA
This link will remain active until a week or so has passed..
Link to the zip file containing stls

Disclaimer: Be aware that this is a purely test version, so there might be mistakes.. smiling smiley
Please provide feedback.

Yes, it works.

As DC42 already mentioned, the hole is too big for an M5 fitting, so I drilled it out and glued in an M5 nut.
I couldn't find a M5 to 4mm pipe fitting in any of our boxes of bits, so I am making do with an M5 to 6mm fitting, followed by a 6mm to 4mm reducer for now..
Attachments:
open | download - extruder.jpg (25 KB)
March 04, 2015 11:13AM
The 4mm pneumatic fittings are also available with 1/4" (inch). For these the 5.2mm hole would be a perfect fit. Might be that the designer lives in a region which is not completely metric :-)
March 04, 2015 04:02PM
I could have tapped the hole for a larger fitting I found, which I think was 1/4" thread, but it too was for a 6mm tube.

Actually, I wish I had, as my glued in M5 nut lasted about 2 hours, until the obvious happened. (pushed it's way out). I will try and find a 1/4" thread - 4mm tube connector before I reprint the part.
March 06, 2015 07:49AM
dc42
VortyZA

Thanks! However, as the fitting is M5 threaded, the hole needs to be about 4.5mm so that I can M5 tap it - unless you think there is room for a nut. Do you mind adjusting the STL?

I've made it exactly 4.5 on the 3d drawing - I always find with my slicer that I have to make every inner hole diameter about .4mm larger to make it perfect, but let me know if that's the right size?
Updated .stl
Is the PTFE tube hole large enough?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 07:56AM by VortyZA.
March 06, 2015 09:22AM
VortyZA
I've made it exactly 4.5 on the 3d drawing - I always find with my slicer that I have to make every inner hole diameter about .4mm larger to make it perfect, but let me know if that's the right size?
Updated .stl
Is the PTFE tube hole large enough?

Thanks! I'll print it later today, and nip down to my local hardware store to buy a M5 tap. If the hole is too small, I can easily drill it out to 4.5mm before tapping it. I'll let you know about the PTFE tube hole.

April 07, 2015 02:01PM
hey ,where can this extruder be found? the dropbox link isnt working anymore ,is it on thingiverse?
April 10, 2015 11:52AM
The original is available on Thingiverse here: [www.thingiverse.com]
The one that was in this thread was a very specific test version - it can however be made available if everyone who tested it says it works well smiling smiley
[edit] The link still works for me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 11:58AM by VortyZA.
April 10, 2015 12:29PM
It works well for me, except that the trap for the nut at the back of the spring compression adjustment screw is too large to stop an M3 nut rotating. The filament breaks less in the extruder inlet than it used to, and the pneumatic connector is working well. The size of the inlet hole for the PTFE tube is fine, so is the size for tapping the M5 hole for the pneumatic connector. I did have to drill out the 2mm filament hole from the top, but I know how difficult it is to get small hole sizes right, so I expected to need to do that.

April 14, 2015 08:59AM
Useful feedback, thanks Dave
April 18, 2015 11:57PM
I've just started having this problem with my prusa i3. Got all the other kinks worked out, and now the tube won't stay in. I like the idea of using the pneumatic connector, but i don't know the size or what I should be looking for. I'm new to all of this. Still have yet to actually print something. It uses 1.74mm filament. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edit/Update:
I see I have answered my own question. The size I need takes 4mm tubing (outer diameter). Now it's finding a place to buy a connector other then ebay shipping from china. I'd like it sooner then later, but it doesn't look like Home Depot has them, not on their website at least. But I'm finding someother options online.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 12:15AM by dtiger1138.
April 19, 2015 04:08AM
The pneumatic connectors are indeed for 4mm tubing, and they have an M5 thread. Note that after you have inserted/replaced the tube several times, they tend to lose their grip so you need to replace the connector. So get plenty of spares. I got mine via Amazon UK, but I think I had the last 10 from that supplier.

May 11, 2015 02:22AM
I've made it exactly 4.5 on the 3d drawing - I always find with my slicer that I have to make every inner hole diameter about .4mm larger to make it perfect, but let me know if that's the right size? Updated .stl Is the PTFE tube hole large enough?
Does anyone have an stl file for the other half of this modified extruder. The 'updated stl' only contains the modified half for the update to the hole for the pnuematic connector. The original post presumably with both halves has been deleted from dropbox. Thanks for your help
John
May 11, 2015 08:07AM
I know this topic has moved on a bit but for Ormerods with the standard extruder drive assembly, I found that a bit of bent wire is all you need to hold the Bowden securing pin in place. It simply lifts out when you need to release the cable:

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
May 11, 2015 04:06PM
Here is a version of MasonStoneHenges Spring loaded extruder arm, modified to take a pneumatic bowden connector

masonstonehenge original
[www.thingiverse.com]

My Modded version
[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 04:07PM by iamburny.

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
Attachments:
open | download - masonextruder-pnuematic.stl (355.6 KB)
May 12, 2015 06:00AM
Here is a version of MasonStoneHenges Spring loaded extruder arm, modified to take a pneumatic bowden connector"
Thanks Matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login