Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bowden tube coming out of extruder

Posted by Don Recardo 
Re: Bowden tube coming out of extruder
May 12, 2015 03:08PM
is that any pneumatic fitting or specific?
May 13, 2015 05:04PM
iamburny
Here is a version of MasonStoneHenges Spring loaded extruder arm, modified to take a pneumatic bowden connector

masonstonehenge original
[www.thingiverse.com]

My Modded version
[www.thingiverse.com]

[attachment 54501 DSC_0001s.jpg]

The tongue that clips onto the X arn us 3mm short so it doesnt hold onto the arm sad smiley atleast for me
May 13, 2015 05:08PM
Darathy
The tongue that clips onto the X arn us 3mm short so it doesnt hold onto the arm sad smiley atleast for me

The Ormerod 2 uses a longer tongue than the Ormerod 1.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 13, 2015 05:17PM
DOH! , is there a ormerod 2 version?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 05:19PM by Darathy.
May 14, 2015 07:17AM
Darathy

You could print and ad Thorsen's Extruder vs gravity defender :-)

[www.thingiverse.com]

Erik
May 14, 2015 10:39AM
ormerod168
Darathy
[www.thingiverse.com]
Erik
How would that help with the bowden tube problem?

Dave
May 14, 2015 12:08PM
dmould
ormerod168
Darathy
[www.thingiverse.com]
Erik
How would that help with the bowden tube problem?

Dave

The extruders main body's shepherds crook is not long enough to fit in the lower slot on the X-rib on the Ormerod2 that secures the extruder, Thorsens ad-on will do that and make it possible to use the extruder with the bowden tube adapter anyway

Erik
May 17, 2015 10:50AM
iamburny
Here is a version of MasonStoneHenges Spring loaded extruder arm, modified to take a pneumatic bowden connector

Is this version for a M5 nut?
I am afraid that this problem effects me too but I need to know which pneumatic connector I have to buy.
May 18, 2015 03:56AM
Treito
iamburny

I am afraid that this problem effects me too but I need to know which pneumatic connector I have to buy.

Until I get around to posting on Thingiverse, this is the M5 version with the larger feed diameter, pneumatic screw fit and the PTFE pipe through the feed path to the hobbed insert.
[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Once I post it on Thingiverse I'll remove this link
May 18, 2015 04:09AM
Please note that the pneumatic connectors lose their grip after you have removed and replaced the Bowden tube several times. So get plenty of spare connectors, and only remove the Bowden tube from the connector when you have to.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 18, 2015 05:50AM
dc42
Please note that the pneumatic connectors lose their grip after you have removed and replaced the Bowden tube several times. So get plenty of spare connectors, and only remove the Bowden tube from the connector when you have to.
That's pretty much the reason we don't use them. We did have them on the original Huxley printer (over 4 years ago...) but found they eventually pop out, too! Which is why we went for a cheaper solution, that is generally more reliable. PTFE is just rather slippery...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 18, 2015 06:53AM
Its no biggie, drill, tap and arrest it with a screw

Erik
May 18, 2015 12:27PM
droftarts
dc42
That's pretty much the reason we don't use them. We did have them on the original Huxley printer (over 4 years ago...) but found they eventually pop out, too! Which is why we went for a cheaper solution, that is generally more reliable. PTFE is just rather slippery...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

I have ordered only two for now because I finished the ordering yesterday. I only had this problem two times for now, so I am not sure if I should exchange the tube connection or not. Maybe there is one possibility for another fixing. Next week I will try to think about it. Maybe I will have an idea. Maybe there is a possibility to increase the outer diameter of the brass connection part and place the clip over the brass. That would be my first brainstorming idea for now after 10 seconds of thinking. But next week I will not have to work and I will stay at home so I have much more time.
May 18, 2015 02:10PM
VortyZA
Treito
iamburny

Until I get around to posting on Thingiverse, this is the M5 version with the larger feed diameter, pneumatic screw fit and the PTFE pipe through the feed path to the hobbed insert.
[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Once I post it on Thingiverse I'll remove this link

Would you make 1 for the Ormerod 2 aswell please? i would really like to have 1 aswell
May 27, 2015 05:08PM
droftarts
dc42

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

I still cannot really imagine that this is the case. We use them at work and we as far as I know we do not have any problems with them. Okay to be honest we are using OD8 not OD4. But is this generally the cause that they are loosing grip or depends this on the manufacturer?
I am not able to test the connector at the moment I am not able to print this *** extruder. First I had trouble with ABS warping, now shrinking? The filament does not find its way through the Feeder and gets stuck
June 05, 2015 02:52PM
I spoke at work with our staff member which is mostly in contact with these connectors. We do not have any problems but we are definitely using only OD 8 or sometimes taller. Do you used cheap variants or do you use connectors from a big company? I think this weekend I will replace my Extruder. It is really urgent.
September 21, 2016 04:43AM
Is there anywhere the modified version available with the bigger radius so the filament would be less bent?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 24, 2016 11:26AM
You now, thoughts pneumatic push in clams restrict the PTFE where that clamp down on the Tubing (Friction). For the ormerod Extrude-rs i use this (See Attach). I have included the Drawing files as it should fit snug in the Extruder housing. For this resin all own you may need to Sand a bit off the end that go's into the housing. I use weld - on to glue to gather. There is no shame in making parts that need gluing, especially if it gives you a Better finish ie .. part.

Settings to try:
100% infill
18mms print speed

I recommend cura to slice. Note - Note the new one that is specific to Ultimaker. Unless you have and Ultimaker printer. The others seam to lose the fine details. if your printer will print the fine details.

Have fun
Attachments:
open | download - BodenClip.zip (255.3 KB)
January 08, 2017 04:02AM
I had this problem when I wasn't able to find brass unions anywhere. You can carefully thread an M4 nut onto the PTFE tube. Do that for about 10mm or so, then unscrew the nut. Pop the nut into the tongue slot, then thread the tube back onto the nut while it's in the hole. It can be a bit finicky, so use a flat screwdriver to hold the nut in place while you thread it on. I wrote a post on it here: [forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login