Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Secret for printing overhangs????

Posted by Davek0974 
Secret for printing overhangs????
March 02, 2015 06:39AM

As can be seen from the disappointing print of Cartman above, I have real issues in printing overhangs, is there a secret to this??

I didn't think this would need support material but??

Also disappointed as I ran out filament so he has a flat head, might remove some filler and use it as a pen tidy for my desk.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
Re: Secret for printing overhangs????
March 02, 2015 07:17AM
The general rule seems to be to keep overhangs to 45 degrees or less for good results. One of my prints has an overhang of about 60 degrees, but the surface at that point has come out very rough.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 02, 2015 07:31AM
I usualy use a very low speed with free hanging lies (bridges) this ensures that the filament can cool down enough to harden and not sag that much. it is important to have good airflow when printing steep overhangs.
March 02, 2015 08:06AM
Low speed and cooling. Try using Cura for prints that need support. Cura seems to generate better support structures than Slic3r, though I admit I have not tried the latest Slic3r version which may have improved that feature. Simplify3D generates really nice support structures and is the best of all, and you can remove or add support manually as well, but it is not freeware. I started printing a chess set this weekend, with most of the pieces having major overhangs, and the Simplify3D supports (that looked like the scaffolding around a building) worked perfectly and could be snapped off by hand leaving no marks on the print whatsoever. For some prints the support will take longer to print than the item! I'll post a few photos later - downloaded from [www.thingiverse.com]

Dave
March 02, 2015 08:47AM
Ah, so it seems I should have used support after all.

I have ordered more filament and will be having another go soon.

In Slic3r is there an option to slow down only on overhangs? I can't remember.

It also shows some blobs at the layer starts so i'm going to try a larger retract setting too.

March 02, 2015 01:06PM
Davek0974
Ah, so it seems I should have used support after all.

Yes you can't print overhangs like that without generating support, try Cura as Dave wrote

Here's how the overhang look sliced with Slic3r:

Simplify3d:

Cura:

All slicers doing their best, but what you are trying to print is not just overhangs, more like bridging in curves, can't be done without zero gravity :-)

Erik
March 02, 2015 01:45PM
Good point, thanks.

Is simplify3d the paid for app? I think I looked into that before but for the tiny amount of printing I do it didn't seem worth it.

I'll have another go with slic3r when the filament arrives.

Thanks

March 03, 2015 07:15AM
Davek0974
Good point, thanks.

Is simplify3d the paid for app? I think I looked into that before but for the tiny amount of printing I do it didn't seem worth it.

I'll have another go with slic3r when the filament arrives.

Thanks

Simpify3D costs a fair bit, but Cura is free and generates better support structures than Slic3r (unless Slic3r has improved in the latest version). Cura is less versatile than Slic3r in other respects, so before I bought Simplify3D I would use Cura only for prints that needed support and Slic3r for everything else. Cura has no bridging detection, so if you have a print that needs support and bridging you are a bit stuck.

Dave
March 03, 2015 08:06AM
Ok thanks

I'll give slic3r another go as soon as the filament arrives, with support this time and i'll scale down 50% to save time/filament for the test.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login