Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 1.00o-dc42

Posted by dc42 
New firmware 1.00o-dc42
March 06, 2015 02:46PM
Hot on the heels of zombiepantslol's 0.96n release, I am pleased to announce my 1.00o release available here [github.com]. The main change in this release is support for the new POST file upload protocol, as used by zombiepantslol's 1.03 web interface. My thanks to zombiepantslol for implementing this, it speeds up file uploading a lot.

There are two other improvements in this release (actually in release 1.00n, which I didn't announce):

* The M552 (set IP address) command now accepts an R parameter to set the HTTP port number;

* SD card files beginning with '.' are ignored when returning files lists. This is mainly of benefit to Mac users.

As usual, the full list of differences between this release and the official RRP 0.78c release can be found at [github.com].

As zombiepantslol's new web interface (DuetWebControl) is now mature, I don't propose to develop the previous web interface (OrmerodWebControl) any further.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 02:53PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New firmware 1.00o-dc42
March 06, 2015 03:18PM
Nice one Dave think this is very mature now

Will be working o the Delta and the Core XY This weekend / Monday

Core XY wont be ready to fully commission but will be ready to test X Y Movement.

I have received the 40x20 extrusion and the V-Wheels to be able to put the carriages etc. together

Will keep you informed

Doug
March 06, 2015 03:39PM
Thanks Doug, I have done the design work for CoreXY and will start on the code soon. It's a piece of cake compared to the work to support Delta printers! The maths for that made my brain hurt and crashed wxMaxima regularly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 03:40PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 07, 2015 05:06PM
thanks for this update, as a mac user it makes using the latest firmware a little easier!

regards

Ben
March 09, 2015 10:58AM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, I'm happy to raise this on Github or another thread but I'm having a few issues after flashing this firmware.

Firstly, after completing every print I need to reset the Duet (or power cycle the printer) before starting the next print. Failing to do this I get the following and various "Unknown Poll State" errors in the message log and nothing gets extruded, although the print head is moving.

"Error: Attempting to extrude with no tool selected."

Another minor issue is that I keep getting "Unknown Poll State: B" errors in the message log, although these don't seem to be critical I can still print.

I'm using the default "sys-Ormerod1" gcodes, I've only changed extrude and z-probe values.

Thanks in advance
March 09, 2015 11:29AM
The reason you are having to reset the Duet to get extrusion again after doing one print is that at the end of a print, all tools are deselected. You need to reselect tool 1 before you print again. The usual way to do this is to have a T1 command in your start gcode in slic3r. If you want to print files you have already sliced that don't have T1 in the start gcode, just click on the "Head 1" text in the web interface, or send a T1 command, before you start the print.

The "Unknown poll state" sounds to me like a mismatch between the web interface and the firmware. Which web interface are you using? If it is my 1.04 version, upgrade either to my 1.05 version or zombiepantlol's new DuetWebControl.

March 09, 2015 06:38PM
Hi DC42....

Long time no chat..

Just wanted to confirm.. This latest Firmware is Good for Ormerod 2's?...

I remember a while ago (october 2014) that there was a difference in the firmwares (RRP 0.78 & DC42) of how the Ormerod 1 and Ormerod 2 dealt with the Y carriage (Motor location being swapped..)

Is this All Good to go on my Ormerod2?..

Cheers and Awesome work!!..

Gordon.
March 09, 2015 07:49PM
Yes, it's good for Ormerod 2 as well as 1. I haven't had the chance to try the simultaneous X and Y homing on the O2, but it should be OK.

March 10, 2015 02:59AM
Is there a link somewhere to the zombiepantslol Web interface 1.03? I did a bit of looking, but just found links to his firmware fork.

Found it: [github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 04:15AM by VortyZA.
March 10, 2015 03:59AM
VortyZA
Is there a link somewhere to the zombiepantslol Web interface 1.03? I did a bit of looking, but just found links to his firmware fork.

Try GitHub
March 10, 2015 04:15AM
Wooo Hooo!! Thanks Dave

Will give it a Shot this afternoon as soon as my current prints are done..

Will give some Feedback when it's alive!!
March 10, 2015 04:17AM
dougal1957
VortyZA

Try GitHub

Thanks - I suppose I was a little silly to not find it quicker smiling smiley
March 10, 2015 06:58AM
Wow thank you dc42. This version combined with the new web interface is awesome. So far it is working great!
March 10, 2015 10:33AM
I did a print today with the new firmware and web interface and they work really well together! The edges and corners seem a lot more accurate than before.
Very happy so far!
March 10, 2015 11:08AM
Thanks, VortZA and DasBasti!

Did either of you notice a difference in the sound of the printer since moving from 0.78 series firmware?

March 11, 2015 05:06AM
I cought a bad cold so i was out not printing the last days. I just updated to the webinterface and the firmware mainly due to the fact, that file upload should go faster.
I haven't tried though I can report however that the 1.0b firmware i had running before has been churning out prints very reliable (in combination with the dc42 ir mod).
It only failed after 15+ prints or so when some screws went loose.

The only thin i noticed is that my printbed is somehow warped at the front edges and that there are some positions where the printhead is slightly to high. Is
there a limitation of the number of probing points? I currently have five (edges and the middle) and the printer was running so fine that i was hesitant touching it :-).

I am also pretty happy with my own venting mod which is sadly still manually controlled. But thats a different story not belonging in this thread.
March 11, 2015 06:00AM
Yes the 5-point probing is rather limiting. I'll try to find time to implement the 9 (or greater) point probing soon.

March 11, 2015 08:34AM
tstone
The only thin i noticed is that my printbed is somehow warped at the front edges and that there are some positions where the printhead is slightly to high. Is
there a limitation of the number of probing points? I currently have five (edges and the middle) and the printer was running so fine that i was hesitant touching it :-).

It is unlikely to be a warped bed. The two most common causes of being unable to get the bed level at all points are:

1) Twisted acrylic X-arm. This is the arm that the X-carriage bearing runs against, and if it is twisted it will cause the hotend to tilt as it travels along X, changing its height. A non-vertical extruder will also affect print quality.
2) The two ground rods that the bed runs on (Y axis) are not exactly parallel in the Z plane. This will have the effect of raising and lowering the front of the bed relative to the back of the bed as it moves in Y.

Both can be corrected with careful adjustment. The X arm can also be replaced by an aluminium part.

Dave
March 11, 2015 10:31AM
dmould
2) The two ground rods that the bed runs on (Y axis) are not exactly parallel in the Z plane. This will have the effect of raising and lowering the front of the bed relative to the back of the bed as it moves in Y.

Wouldn't bed compensation points account for this though?

Granted it's still not ideal as it would cause a lot of wear on the Z rod....
March 11, 2015 11:09AM
May I propose using this mod: [www.thingiverse.com] to adjust the Y-axis rods.
March 11, 2015 02:47PM
shadow651
dmould

Wouldn't bed compensation points account for this though?

Granted it's still not ideal as it would cause a lot of wear on the Z rod....

If that's the only source of the bed being non-level, then yes. But if it's in combination with a twisted X arm or other source of changing height (Bowden tube pressure etc.), then 4 or even 5 point compensation may not be sufficient. As you correctly state, bed compensation introduces a lot of wear in the Z screw (average of +/- 100 Z movements per layer while doing infill compared with 1 movement per layer without compensation), and so it is by far the best to get your bed levelled accurately enough to be able to do away with bed compensation completely. It may take a little time to get right, but is well worth the effort.

Dave
March 11, 2015 03:51PM
Hi Dave, Fotomas
dmould
1) Twisted acrylic X-arm. This is the arm that the X-carriage bearing runs against, and if it is twisted it will cause the hotend to tilt as it travels along X, changing its height. A non-vertical extruder will also affect print quality.
I have this mod of fotomas mounted to fix the y axis leveling.

Well but it does not explain that the printhead is touching the bed at the edges and the middle of the bed but there is an area in between where the printhead is to high? Its not much
but when printing with <=0.15 layer height its still has an effect.

I have also started looking at the firmware but i was also distracted by the new rpi2... and all the stuff i needed to print eye rolling smiley.

Tim
March 12, 2015 08:31AM
tstone
Well but it does not explain that the printhead is touching the bed at the edges and the middle of the bed but there is an area in between where the printhead is to high? Its not much
but when printing with <=0.15 layer height its still has an effect.
Tim

It's unlikely to be the glass, but could be a ripple in the X arm or a Bowden tube effect - you could try the extruder in different positions on the X-arm to alter the Bowden tube pressure.

It is easiest to set a first layer height a bit thicker when printing layers as thin as 0.15mm. For layer heights below 0.25mm I usually set the first layer to double layer height - it makes an insignificant difference to the print (if anything it improves the appearance of the base). The effects of small bed height differences are greatly diminished in layer 2 and pretty much gone by layer 3.

Dave
March 12, 2015 08:51AM
dmould
It is easiest to set a first layer height a bit thicker when printing layers as thin as 0.15mm. For layer heights below 0.25mm I usually set the first layer to double layer height - it makes an insignificant difference to the print (if anything it improves the appearance of the base). The effects of small bed height differences are greatly diminished in layer 2 and pretty much gone by layer 3.

Dave

Dave is correct about the first layer being thicker, in fact Slic3r recommends that the 1st layer height be set to the diameter of the nozzle, and have the first layer extrusion width 200%. So for the stock 0.5mm tip, you should try printing your first layer 0.5mm tall, and 1mm wide.

Slic3r Manuel: The Important First Layer
[manual.slic3r.org]

Another alternative, is you could try printing a few layers of raft, and hopefully by the time your print starts the top of the raft should be reasonably level.... But it can be difficult to remove the raft from the print, and it is a bit wasteful
March 15, 2015 10:57AM
dc42, I have just updated to 1.00o-dc42 from 1.00m-dc42 and in the release of 1.00l-dc42 you mentioned that the bug that caused feed rate to not be restored sometimes after running a macro has been fixed.

Does this include the feed rate not being restored after homing? If so then the bug still seem to be present when I have homed my axes, if not then, nevermind smiling smiley.
March 15, 2015 02:13PM
stuart576
dc42, I have just updated to 1.00o-dc42 from 1.00m-dc42 and in the release of 1.00l-dc42 you mentioned that the bug that caused feed rate to not be restored sometimes after running a macro has been fixed.

Does this include the feed rate not being restored after homing? If so then the bug still seem to be present when I have homed my axes, if not then, nevermind smiling smiley.

Yes, it does include that bug, and it seems to be working for me (although I'm running 1.00p, not 1.00o). I've just done this test:

1. Home all

2. Send G1 X200 F10000 to make the head move at high speed.

3. Home all again.

4. Send G1 X200. The high speed is remembered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 02:13PM by dc42.

March 15, 2015 03:10PM
dc42

Yes, it does include that bug, and it seems to be working for me (although I'm running 1.00p, not 1.00o). I've just done this test:

1. Home all

2. Send G1 X200 F10000 to make the head move at high speed.

3. Home all again.

4. Send G1 X200. The high speed is remembered.

I have just done this test (using Home X instead) and it works as you intend. However it doesn't work if I do not set a feed rate on step 2. Is there a way I can set a default feed rate for the Ormerod to use on startup?

Also, since I have upgraded, I attempted to print some circular pieces today, and they are not coming out circular (see attached). My first thought was that one of my belts had come loose, but I have checked, then re-tightened both my X and Y carriage belts and the issue is still there, do you have any idea what is causing this?

Thanks again.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150315_182625.jpg (521.1 KB)
March 15, 2015 04:07PM
stuart576
I have just done this test (using Home X instead) and it works as you intend. However it doesn't work if I do not set a feed rate on step 2. Is there a way I can set a default feed rate for the Ormerod to use on startup?

Yes, put G1 F5000 (or whatever feed rate you want) at or near the end of config.g.

stuart576
Also, since I have upgraded, I attempted to print some circular pieces today, and they are not coming out circular (see attached). My first thought was that one of my belts had come loose, but I have checked, then re-tightened both my X and Y carriage belts and the issue is still there, do you have any idea what is causing this?

Have you run your gcode through a gcode viewer, to check that the gcode really is set up to print circles?

March 15, 2015 04:26PM
stuart576
..Also, since I have upgraded, I attempted to print some circular pieces today, and they are not coming out circular (see attached). My first thought was that one of my belts had come loose, but I have checked, then re-tightened both my X and Y carriage belts and the issue is still there, do you have any idea what is causing this?..

pulley slipping on stepper axle? - loose grub screw?

Erik
March 19, 2015 02:39PM
ormerod168
stuart576
..Also, since I have upgraded, I attempted to print some circular pieces today, and they are not coming out circular (see attached). My first thought was that one of my belts had come loose, but I have checked, then re-tightened both my X and Y carriage belts and the issue is still there, do you have any idea what is causing this?..

pulley slipping on stepper axle? - loose grub screw?

Erik

Thanks, it was a loose grub screw on the Y axis motor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login