Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minor problem while fitting DC42's Hot End Board

Posted by pandionx 
Minor problem while fitting DC42's Hot End Board
March 17, 2015 11:57AM
So I've finally gotten around to fitting the hot end board V2 that I ordered from DC42, to my Ormerod. I printed all the parts, and followed the very straightforward instructions.
I've run into a slight problem however - not sure whether it is because I've made a mistake in fitting it, or whether it is a problem anyone has seen before.

I printed the add-on sensor pad and fitted it, however for some reason the sensor pad is either too high, or my hot end is too low for some reason. So the board bumps into the sensor pad instead of going over it.

I can obviously work around this in several ways, but before I do this, I thought I'd just check whether it was because I made a mistake somewhere, or whether anyone has run into this before? My Ormerod is standard in all the areas that I think could affect this hieght, so I don't quite understand where I went wrong.

Re: Minor problem while fitting DC42's Hot End Board
March 17, 2015 12:19PM
I think you have the nozzle mount upside down. This is how you should have it attached to the X carriage:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 12:19PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

March 17, 2015 01:17PM
Hi pandionx,

I faced quite the same issue with a mk1 Ormerod and solved it maybe a hard but very easy way : I lowered the sensor pad by extending its screw holes by a few 10th of mm.
Maybe it wasn't the best solution but it did the job.

dc42 : I'll check my Ormerod to see if I mounted the nozzle mount upside-down but I'm quite sure it is ok. BTW I never acked the IR board you sent to me a few weeks ago, I wanted to play with it for a while before giving you some news. It does the job perfectly and I'm now on the way to writing some tips for newcomers. Your board is definitely a must-have.

Patrice
March 18, 2015 07:30AM
As always DC, you had the answer. Thank you!

Quite funny, since I'd been printing like that for about a year now smiling smiley
March 18, 2015 08:59AM
Yes, I had the same issue with the sensor board hitting the extended X homing tab, so I simply elongated the mounting holes and moved it down a tad. The position of the tab is quite critical, but easy to adjust. DC42's board gives accurate and repeatable height measurements apart from the fact that it triggers at a different height for the first few prints after I have painted a fresh coat of ABS slurry onto the bed (while the bed has a "frosty" appearance from the fresh coat). I always perform a manual check with a piece of paper - it takes seconds but could save 15 minutes or so restarting a print if the first layer fails.

Dave
March 18, 2015 12:17PM
paflviet
dc42 : I'll check my Ormerod to see if I mounted the nozzle mount upside-down but I'm quite sure it is ok.

Shame on me, I checked my nozzle mount... I've mounted it upside-down sad smiley No harm, my stupid solution still works but I'll fix my mount.

Patrice
March 18, 2015 12:35PM
*Sneeks over to printer and flips nozzle mount over before anyone notices*
March 18, 2015 12:41PM
Sounds like I should add checking that the nozzle mount is the right way up to the board fitting instructions!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 18, 2015 01:09PM
Hahahahhaha! This is classic LOL

Also, no one noticed that in my pictures, I also had the fan mounted wrong way around - the label should be facing towards the heatsink smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 06:06PM by pandionx.
March 18, 2015 05:03PM
I've run into a very strange problem now:

My Y-Axis direction is reversed! I didn't plug out the Y stepper wiring, but I double checked anyway, and everything is correct. I'm still on
Duet Firmware 0.78r-dc42
reprap.htm 1.02
reprap.js 1.02

just like I was a week ago.

I can't think of anything I've changed recently than can cause this. Very confused now confused smiley
March 18, 2015 05:46PM
DC, I see you added step 6 to your instructions smiling smiley

May I suggest adding the photo you posted above as well - pictures and a 1000 words etc tongue sticking out smiley
March 18, 2015 06:43PM
pandionx
I've run into a very strange problem now:

My Y-Axis direction is reversed! I didn't plug out the Y stepper wiring, but I double checked anyway, and everything is correct. I'm still on
Duet Firmware 0.78r-dc42
reprap.htm 1.02
reprap.js 1.02

just like I was a week ago.

I can't think of anything I've changed recently than can cause this. Very confused now confused smiley

Version 0.78r is very old now, so I suggest you upgrade to my 1.00o version.

The only thing I can think of that would cause Y axis reversal apart from a wiring change is if you have introduced a M569 P1 S0 or M569 P1 S1 command into config.g. One of those will make the Y axis move normally, the other will make it move backwards - I forget which is which.

March 18, 2015 07:15PM
Very strange - the problem seems to have resolved itself.... I have absolutely no idea why that happened.

But yes, I am planning to move to 1.0 as soon as I've done a test print tomorrow using your new sensor board. I've played with it a little bit tonight, and it's accuracy seems fantastic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login