Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tool Number Changed

Posted by Don Recardo 
Tool Number Changed
March 26, 2015 09:19AM
Ok so I am a numpty who doesnt understand , so can some one explain it for me

I read in earlier posts that RRP have changed the tool number from T1 to T0 , ( or the other way around )
and I believe DC42 and ZPL have followed suit with their latest releases, but , how will this affect me ?

Right now I am running DC42s 1.00o ,in the Duet and 1.07 in the Panel Due and ZPLs web 1.03 so up to now
nothing is different for me but I am intending to swap over to the newer versions of these firmwares which I understand have the new tool numbering

What will I need to do after I have updated . ? will my saved G codes which work at the moment still work as before or do need to change them to
work with the tool number change ?

Will I need to change enything in Slic3r 1.2.6 settings ?

Regards
Don
Re: Tool Number Changed
March 26, 2015 09:26AM
The Duet firmware is agnostic to tool numbering, and zpl's web interface 1.04 adapts to different tool numbering. Currently, PanelDue does not adapt to different tool numbering. So my advice is:

1. Upgrade to my Duet firmware 1.04b and zpl's web interface 1.04, keeping your existing config.g file and hence existing tool numbering.

2. Some time later, when you are happy that everything is working well with those, change your config.g file to make the head T0 instead of T1, and upgrade the PanelDue to firmware 1.09.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 09:26AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 26, 2015 09:34AM
The reason the default tool number for the first tool has changed back to T0 is to provide better compatibility for different slicers. If you want to stick with T1, just don't edit your config.g and you will keep your current tool numbering. Our updated firmware (and web interface) versions add support to deal properly with this change, but you don't explicitly need to change the tool numbering for them to work. The tool numbering is configured in your config.g file using the 'P' parameter of M563 anyway, so don't worry about it - it's safe to upgrade to newer versions. I can't tell how dc42's updated PanelDue firmware deals with this change though.
March 26, 2015 10:01AM
Thank you both for the answers
I will upgrade soon

I take it there is nothing I need to change in slic3r

Don
March 26, 2015 10:08AM
Don Recardo
I will upgrade soon

When you change the tool numbering, you will need to change T1 in your start gcode to T0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 10:09AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 26, 2015 10:45AM
That poses a problem
In my start code for slicer I dont seem to have a T1 , all my start code says is

G28 Z0
M83

quote=dc42]
Don Recardo
I will upgrade soon

When you change the tool numbering, you will need to change T1 in your start gcode to T0.[/quote]
March 26, 2015 10:52AM
So you don't need to change your start gcode. But is a good idea to put a T command in your start gcode, to select the hot end at the start. If you don't do this, you may find that when a print has finished, if you want to start another one then you have to send that T0 or T1 command first for the print to succeed. This is because the M0 or M1 command in the end gcode of the first print has deselected the tool.

March 26, 2015 10:56AM
so do I just add T0 to my start code so it becomes

T0
G28 Z0
M83

dc42
So you don't need to change your start gcode. But is a good idea to put a T command in your start gcode, to select the hot end at the start. If you don't do this, you may find that when a print has finished, if you want to start another one then you have to send that T0 or T1 command first for the print to succeed. This is because the M0 or M1 command in the end gcode of the first print has deselected the tool.
March 26, 2015 01:28PM
Don Recardo
so do I just add T0 to my start code so it becomes

T0
G28 Z0
M83

Yes - once you have changed your config.g file to make the first extruder T0 instead of T1.

March 26, 2015 01:28PM
Great news

I updated the firmware in my Duet, my Panel Due and the web interface and its working fine

I tried making a new gcode in slicer and that printed fine too so everything seems ok now
Thanks for the help

Don
March 28, 2015 11:20AM
I'm on duet/panel firmware 1.04b / 1.09. I've changed everything "new"and I have gcode files using both tool 0 and 1, and I was able to print both kinds by defining both T0 and T1 (being the same tool, on my single-extruder machine):
M563 P0 D0 H1
M563 P1 D0 H1

It seems to work, only downside I can see is that the user interface thinks there are two separate tools. Are there any real adverse effects to having "two tools" like this?
March 28, 2015 04:26PM
jstck
I'm on duet/panel firmware 1.04b / 1.09. I've changed everything "new"and I have gcode files using both tool 0 and 1, and I was able to print both kinds by defining both T0 and T1 (being the same tool, on my single-extruder machine):
M563 P0 D0 H1
M563 P1 D0 H1

It seems to work, only downside I can see is that the user interface thinks there are two separate tools. Are there any real adverse effects to having "two tools" like this?

I will be interested to see the answer to this . being a newbie I always assumed that the second M563 would just over ride the first one making it seem like the first one wasnt there
so then it would mean you are using T1 every time

Don
March 28, 2015 06:26PM
I can't think of any problems with having 2 tools like this, but I haven't tried it myself. I'll try it our tomorrow when my Mini Kossel is up and running again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 06:26PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login