Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend / extruder replacement?

Posted by justashaw 
Hotend / extruder replacement?
April 06, 2015 08:08AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone's replaced the standard hotend / extruder the ormerod comes with, with something else?

For instance, I was looking at the E3D V6 as I hear good things, but I doubt I can slap it on and call it a day.

Was wondering if anyone's replaced theirs with something else, what it took, what you'd suggest, etc. Also how big of a worry weight is on the X arm. I have an aluminum arm so I doubt it'd be affected and if any, the setbed (G32) would take care of it.

Thoughts?
Re: Hotend / extruder replacement?
April 06, 2015 11:27AM
Well, I know one person has replaced theirs with an E3D v6, because I saw their mounting bracket on thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com]

Not sure this is ideal however, I saw a video of the E3D presentation at this years (march 2015) Midwest RepRap festival, and they were saying 'please please please use our cooling duct. It's got a lot of engineering that makes it superior'. So if I went with the V6, I'd probably come up with a different adapter that connected to their cooling duct somehow.

I've been thinking long term, I might go for E3D's 2 nozzle 'chimera'/'Cyclops' legends solution..... instead of the RRP 2 nozzle system, but I'm not sure yet. The cooling block has 2 or 3 m3 holes on the back, it would be easy enough to print some sort of connector that would connect to the stock carriage.
Or wait for someone to come up with a working mixing hot end, but I doubt I can be patient enough to wait that long tongue sticking out smiley

I know a number of people got tired of waiting for RRP 2 nozzle system, and kinda made their own cooling block that takes 2 of the RRP one piece nozzles, I think they're happy with it.
April 06, 2015 03:47PM
Hi,

I have replaced my standard hot end with genuine E3D V6. My standard one (mounting plastic parts) almost gone after first try printing in ABS (high temperature). Since I have E3D I am extremaly happy. No issues at all. When nozzle temp is around 240deg, top part of extruder is still cold. I designed all mounting parts. If anyone is interested I can post it.

FaFiNoS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 03:56PM by fafinos.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0058.jpg (332.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_0059.jpg (333.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_0060.jpg (310.5 KB)
April 07, 2015 01:49PM
Dear FaFiNoS
> I designed all mounting parts. If anyone is interested I can post it.
Please do post them, looks very interesting I'm planning to also ad a 2nd fan (and have a dc42 hotend board)
Thanks a lot.
auser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 01:49PM by auser.
April 07, 2015 02:04PM
yes please post ,i will probably be updating to E3D sometime aswell and was wondering where i could find a mount for it smiling smiley
April 07, 2015 03:45PM
Hi auser and Darathy,

I am happy you like it. Thanks.
Here are all the parts. Each one as separate stl file and all together in 'E3D HotEnd - All.stl'.
I included also slightly modified x-carriage (bigger hole for runner bearing and deeper holes for nozzle mount'.

FaFiNoS
Attachments:
open | download - E3D HotEnd - 1.stl (45.7 KB)
open | download - E3D HotEnd - 2.stl (67.7 KB)
open | download - E3D HotEnd - 3.stl (1.8 KB)
open | download - E3D HotEnd - 4.stl (32.7 KB)
open | download - E3D HotEnd - 5.stl (15 KB)
open | download - E3D HotEnd - 6.stl (61.1 KB)
open | download - E3D HotEnd - All.stl (223.6 KB)
April 08, 2015 07:16PM
Thanks for the possible mount for the E3D. I'll definitely check it out.

Also was curious if anyone's replaced their hotend with anything else. Or are people more or less just happy with the default?
April 09, 2015 02:46PM
Dear FaFiNoS
Thanks a lot for sharing! Not sure how soon I can provide you with feedback on the parts. Around here spring is "gearing up" which last year all but stopped me 3d-printing. I assume there is some connection with my printer living in the basement (no natural light, cool all year round).
auser
April 09, 2015 03:30PM
Hi All
Yes I must say the hot end design is VERY flimsy, I`ve had to replace the one spacer twice now, in order to minimize movement one needs to tighten the screw quite a bit, then the original green parts crack apart easily, I added a bigger washer under the cap screws` small washer, this spreads the load over the cap screw more and one can tighten the cap screws better and the plastic doesn`t crack
However here in South Africa it is difficult to get spare parts like the E3D V6, and they will be VERY pricey,
I will eventually replace all the simple parts on the hot end with aluminium machined parts, the printed parts are tooo flimsy and causes poor prints if there is unwanted movement on the plastic ...
Tx
Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login