Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simplify3D is it worth buying it ?

Posted by BenBB 
Simplify3D is it worth buying it ?
April 15, 2015 05:30AM
Hi All
(I only post this here because of the Ormerod support from the community)
Can anyone tell me if the Simplify3D is worth buying for the Ormerod 2 ? and is it "fully" compatible or at least customize-able to support the machine
They talk allot about it, but one cannot download a demo and to spend money on it and not get proper results !
Tx Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 05:37AM by BenBB.
Re: Simplify3D is it worth buying it ?
April 15, 2015 06:31AM
Simplify3D is a really nice product, although I can't configure it to work with the serial USB interface. This is not critical for me as I only use the web interface, but IMO this is a weakness they still need to fix. OTOH it generates the best support structures I've seen so far and allows many other options to be customised, so I think it's a must-have once you indend to print some more complex parts with lots of overhangs. And their print preview is really nice, because you can visually determine at which line to pause a print in case you want to insert nuts or metal parts. I believe Slic3r has added support for it as well in one of their recent releases, but I must admit I haven't used that program ever since I switched over to S3D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 06:32AM by zombiepantslol.
April 15, 2015 07:17AM
zombiepantslol
...I believe Slic3r has added support for it as well in one of their recent releases...

Yes they have, and it looks very promising IMHO

Erik
April 15, 2015 10:56AM
Mnnn zombiepantslol has unfortunately answered one of my concerns, USB interface, because I still use Pronterface and not the WEB interface yet and USB is very important as fall back, so this is of concern to me....
Yes I have been using SLIC3R all the time however I find with the "latest" SLIC3R they admit "bugs can occur" they indeed do, the app simply close if you set the temperatures in some cases, and I have some simple designs that it closes as soon as I open them, yet the old SLIC3R work with them...
Tx Ben
April 15, 2015 12:55PM
zombiepantslol
Simplify3D is a really nice product, although I can't configure it to work with the serial USB interface..

I have no problems with that but now use dc42's excellent PanelDue only, you could try import my firmware settings (attached), can't remember if I changed anything from the default settings

Erik
Attachments:
open | download - Ormerod_SF3D_FirmwareSetting.frm (1 KB)
April 15, 2015 01:43PM
Cool, thanks Erik, I can confirm your settings do work! I wasn't aware hardware flow control was needed, but now that it's enabled the printer control dialog works smiling smiley

Well, except for the head position - S3D doesn't seem to poll for the current position. One could probably circumvent this problem by adjusting the homing macros though... Oh, and SD file upload doesn't work too well, I guess because it doesn't send M29 once the entire file has been uploaded. I figure the only way to "fix" this would be to append M29 to the custom end G-code.

Edit: I've updated and attached my current S3D profile to incorporate proper G-codes for RepRapFirmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 01:52PM by zombiepantslol.
Attachments:
open | download - Duet.frm (980 bytes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login