Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 1 + Duet Shield

Posted by Ababuy 
Ormerod 1 + Duet Shield
April 18, 2015 06:46AM
I just got a Duet Shield for my Ormerod 1.

I installed it as instructed on RepRapPro.

But when I turn on the power the ATX power supply won't even turn the fan on. On the ormerod only one of the led's on the board that connects to the ATX power supply lights and there is no 12V at the cable connecting to the Duet.

If I disconnect the Duet Shield everything lights up correctly and the Duet responds as expected.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,
Leo
Re: Ormerod 1 + Duet Shield
April 18, 2015 07:58AM
The power problem is solved. My mistake, it wasn't pluged in at all. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Now I can't read the temperature or control the extruder of the second nozzle.

Here is the relevant part of the config.g file.

M569 P0 S1                          ; Reverse the X motor
M563 P0 D0 H1                       ; Define tool 1
G10 P0 S0 R0                        ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures
M563 P1 D1 H2                      ; Define tool 2 (un-comment this for dual nozzle machines)
G10 P1 X19 S0 R0                       ; Set tool 2 operating and standby temperatures (un-comment this for dual nozzle machines)
M92 E447:447                        ; Set extruder steps per mm
M558 P1                             ; Use an unmodulated Z probe
G31 Z2.1 P650                       ; Set the probe height and threshold
M305 P0 R1000 H0 L0                 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the bed thermistor ADC correction
M305 P1 R1000 H0 L0                 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the first nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M305 P2 R1000 H0 L0                 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the second nozzle thermistor ADC correction

The first extruder and the temperature of the first nozzle are working correctly, the z-probe is also working correctly, I disconected the first driver and connected to the second extruder assembly to check the second extruder and temperature probe and they are working correctly.

This means that I am missing something on the config file or my Duet Shield is damaged somehow.

In attachment is a print screen of the webcontrol.

Any sugestions?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 08:02AM by Ababuy.
Attachments:
open | download - webcontrol.tif (234.1 KB)
April 18, 2015 08:33AM
It rather sounds as though the shield has a short between +12V and ground. Have you checked that you have the 12V and Gnd connections between the shield and the Duet correct? Here's how I have mine wired.

Also, how do you have the proximity sensor wired? The instructions you link to are for the Ormerod 2/HuxleyDuo. Unfortunately, RRP completely changed the wire colours between Ormerod 1 and 2, so you have probably miswired the proximity sensor. So I suggest you disconnect it from the shield, and see if anything changes.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

April 18, 2015 09:59AM
What are the Pros and Cons of the duet shield v DuetX2

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
April 18, 2015 11:28AM
appjaws1
What are the Pros and Cons of the duet shield v DuetX2

I think you mean Duet X4. The shield supports 2 extra extruders and hot end heaters/thermistors. It is very easy to fit mechanically, it just sits on top of the Duet. Some shield boards don't use a pass-through expansion connector, which makes it difficult to connect anything else to the Duet (e.g. a PanelDue or a thermocouple adapter), but the one I received does have a pass-through connector.

The X4 supports 4 extra extruders and hot ends, but it has an annoying thermistor noise issue, which I believe you already know about. The shield avoids the noise issue by picking up analog ground from the E0 thermistor connector.

RRP don't yet list the shield on their web shop, so I can't compare prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 11:29AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 18, 2015 11:41AM
Thanks dc42

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
April 18, 2015 01:40PM
Thank you for your reply dc42,

The power supply problem is resolved. Everything powers correctly, the duet shield has three leds on and the first extruder works fine.

My z-probe is 3 wires, so I connected the red wire to the "+" sign, the black wire to the "G" and the sensor wire to "S". It is showing up correctly on the webcontrol.

Here is how everything is wired:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 01:40PM by Ababuy.
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20150418_18_05_29_Pro.jpg (450.5 KB)
April 18, 2015 02:33PM
Your Z probe wiring looks good to me. So is everything working now?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 02:34PM by dc42.

April 18, 2015 03:21PM
No, the second extruder driver is not working and the temperature readings are all wrong on the heater...

I think I'll try to configure and rewire everything to the heater 3 and driver 2 and see if I can get anything from it.

I really dont't know what to do next...
April 18, 2015 05:28PM
Have you used an M305 command in config.g to say that heater 2 thermistor has a 4K7 series resistor instead of 1K? If not, the thermistor will read around 60C at room temperature.

April 19, 2015 07:12AM
dc42
Have you used an M305 command in config.g to say that heater 2 thermistor has a 4K7 series resistor instead of 1K? If not, the thermistor will read around 60C at room temperature.

I did that. Not working. The second channel seems to be damaged.

I went a little bit further and tried the third channel. The temperature seems to work in this channel as the heater as well, but the drive does not work in either channel.

Do you have any recomendation for me?
April 19, 2015 09:33AM
Are you aware that cold extrusion prevention is enabled in 1.04 firmware by default? So to test the extruder drives, you need to send M302 P1 to allow cold extrusion.

April 19, 2015 10:50AM
dc42
Are you aware that cold extrusion prevention is enabled in 1.04 firmware by default? So to test the extruder drives, you need to send M302 P1 to allow cold extrusion.

Yes, I used the M302 command.
April 19, 2015 11:08AM
duet shield is a expansion board then?
April 19, 2015 01:12PM
Yes, it gives you two extra channels for thermistors, heaters and extruders.

I think mine is faulty, I will contact RepRapPro support team...
April 25, 2015 07:10AM
Thanks for the right connection for the 3-wire z-probe.
Looking at your pics i see i'm not the only one that has little room to put the second fan cable on the board. Some connections are made in a wrong direction or components are pushing against the cable holders.
July 16, 2015 09:34AM
Ababuy: You have the yellow and red inverted with respect to the instructions. Did you also invert them for the second fan connection?
and where the second fan is supposed to be mounted?
Anybody ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 09:41AM by ThorsenRune.
July 16, 2015 01:43PM
ThorsenRune
Ababuy: You have the yellow and red inverted with respect to the instructions. Did you also invert them for the second fan connection?
and where the second fan is supposed to be mounted?
Anybody ?

Hello!

I changed it because my fan was rotating in the wrong direction, so I was lazy. grinning smiley

The second fan is to be used on an adapter to send fresh air to the print. It is in some other thread.

In attachment you can find the part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 01:44PM by Ababuy.
Attachments:
open | download - 1123.STL (455.5 KB)
July 22, 2015 04:06AM
Hello,

I have one stupid question about the fans:
What is the hotend fan and what the cooling fan? Which one is rotating the whole time?
The hotend fan as it cools down the hotend?
The cooling fan is at cools the hotend?

I would suggest the first one, but there is no clue at the documentation.

Regards,

Sven

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 04:06AM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 22, 2015 04:14AM
Hi Sven

The hot end fan is the one connected to the heatsink. This is the one that should be on ALL THE TIME, to keep the top of the nozzle cool. The cooling fan should probably be called the 'print cooling fan', as it cools the printed parts during printing, and is controllable using M106 ( [reprap.org] ). Usually, this fan is controlled by the slicing software, so it turns on after the first couple of layers, and may turn off when not needed. In Slic3r, control is set in Slic3r > Filament > Cooling.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 22, 2015 04:20AM
Many thanks for this quick answer. So it is as I assumed. It is also quite interesting for me as I have two E3D replica hot-ends here and so I need to design a holder for them. That means the air flow of the second fan (cooling fan) should be concentrated to the nozzles output. Somehow I did see this option at Simplify3D.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 17, 2015 12:01PM
Spent most of the day on this and nearly all is working. Main problem turned to be the series resistor setting for Heater 1 (T0) was not needed.
Now only T1 (heater 2) works. T0 keeps showing TO and T127 but cannot select T0.
Extruder 2 works but only one extruder shown on the interface.

Any Ideas
Attachments:
open | download - Screen.JPG (176.6 KB)
December 17, 2015 12:57PM
I'm no fan of defining tool T127, so if you can, remove the line starting with

M563 P127...

from your /sys/config.g file. After that, restart your printer and check if that has any effect. As an alternative (assuming you just cannot select T0 on the web interface), send "T0" via the G-code input boxes. If that doesn't work, please check if you get any error messages in the G-code console and if so, post them here.
December 18, 2015 04:35AM
Thanks, the M563 code was the problem, printing in 2 colours fine now

Thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login