Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2nd fan duct for acrylic spacer

Posted by Darathy 
2nd fan duct for acrylic spacer
April 19, 2015 12:24PM
Has anyone designed a fan duct for 2nd fank to cool the print area that would attach to the acrylic spacer like indicated in the picture?

Re: 2nd fan duct for acrylic spacer
April 19, 2015 12:58PM
A link to github was posted some time ago, cant find it, have the stl but zip to big to attach, sorry

Erik
April 19, 2015 02:03PM
how abaut a dropbox link? i would really like to get thisone
April 19, 2015 02:40PM
Ditto to the above!

What size fan would this be using?
April 19, 2015 03:04PM
shadow651
Ditto to the above!

Do not have dropbox installed but packed a multi part volume, move to same folder, then unpack

same as ormerod org., 40x40

Erik
Attachments:
open | download - fan-duct.zip (350.8 KB)
open | download - fan-duct.z01 (500 KB)
April 19, 2015 03:39PM
ormerod168
shadow651
Ditto to the above!

Do not have dropbox installed but packed a multi part volume, move to same folder, then unpack

same as ormerod org., 40x40

Erik

Thank you verry much for this! grinning smiley
May 28, 2015 12:31PM
I finally got around to installing this duct and I've been having some issues.

The Duct consistently sits about 3mm lower than the nozzle. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and/or come up with a solution. I might have to go for a different cooling duct design. So I'm open to suggestions about other ducts that are known to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 12:40PM by shadow651.
May 28, 2015 01:53PM
shadow651
I finally got around to installing this duct and I've been having some issues.

The Duct consistently sits about 3mm lower than the nozzle. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and/or come up with a solution. I might have to go for a different cooling duct design. So I'm open to suggestions about other ducts that are known to work.

hmm strange mine is abaut 1mm above the nozzle tip:

can you post a picture?

Unfortinetly i have not found any other design yet ,i want to make my own ring shaped one ,but atm i dont know how. still learning modeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 01:55PM by Darathy.
May 28, 2015 05:23PM
yea, here's a picture

Maybe I don't have it fully on the acrylic piece? But I didn't want to force it too hard with how fragile acrylic can be.

I think I'd be able to design some sort of ring duct, if there's room for it, but I'm not sure I'd be able to redesign the attachment to the acrylic spacer
May 28, 2015 05:30PM
i think you just need to push it in a bit ,it should click into place ,just hold the acrylic at the other side ,but dont put too much force so not to break the acrylic.

this fan duct helps a lot ,but it is only effective from the side its facing ,would be nice to get a duct to blow from all directions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 05:33PM by Darathy.
May 30, 2015 11:38PM
Darathy
i think you just need to push it in a bit ,it should click into place ,just hold the acrylic at the other side ,but dont put too much force so not to break the acrylic.

this fan duct helps a lot ,but it is only effective from the side its facing ,would be nice to get a duct to blow from all directions.

I think that was part of the problem, but I think the head is drooping in the Y direction. I've ordered some 10mm bearings to replace the 9mm one on the X runner.

Maybe my duct didn't print perfect and it won't push onto the acrylic spacer all the way.....or it's the Y droop.... or something else

I'll keep messing around with it to see if I can get it to work any better, but I might just go ahead and try and design a donut ring duct

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 01:06AM by shadow651.
May 31, 2015 05:09AM
shadow651
Darathy

I think that was part of the problem, but I think the head is drooping in the Y direction. I've ordered some 10mm bearings to replace the 9mm one on the X runner.

Maybe my duct didn't print perfect and it won't push onto the acrylic spacer all the way.....or it's the Y droop.... or something else

I'll keep messing around with it to see if I can get it to work any better, but I might just go ahead and try and design a donut ring duct

You can also use my modified X caridge i have increased the size of the adjustment hole for the X runer so you can push it more against the X-Arm
Attachments:
open | download - x-carriage2.STL (170.5 KB)
May 31, 2015 10:46AM
The fan duct is here: [github.com]
(I need to add it to the list on the first page of the Ormerod 2 instructions: [reprappro.com] )
This has been tweaked fairly recently, as the acrylic fan spacer was changed, and the fan duct had to change too. So check you have the latest version.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 31, 2015 12:19PM
droftarts
(I need to add it to the list on the first page of the Ormerod 2 instructions: [reprappro.com] )
This has been tweaked fairly recently, as the acrylic fan spacer was changed, and the fan duct had to change too. So check you have the latest version.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Acrylic fan spacer was changed? or you mean it replaced the old fan ducts?
May 31, 2015 03:06PM
No, the extra fan duct was designed for a pre-production version of the fan spacer. The fan spacer was changed before it was launched, but the fan duct was not. The correct version of the fan duct was uploaded on the 8th May.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 31, 2015 03:39PM
droftarts

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Looks like I have the older version, so that might be part of the problem.... although it looks like the main change is the size of the output nozzle, might be some other tweaks hard to tell, not sure if this is the cause of my issue or not.

I'll try printing the new one to see if it's any better.

btw Ian, any reason you didn't go for a ring style duct? I'd think it would provide more even and thus better cooling.
May 31, 2015 04:14PM
my fan duct was from this post and it fits perfectly, altho i will print thisone couse of more airflow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 04:15PM by Darathy.
May 31, 2015 04:53PM
The fit of the fan onto the acrylic spacer also changed, to make it fit.

While we think the design could still be improved, we don't have much available time to redesign it again, without a clear direction of how to make it better. It does a good job of cooling, with plenty of airflow. There isn't a lot of space around the nozzle to fit a circle cooler, and designing a good spread of air around the nozzle with that kind of cooler is pretty tricky, too. A slot cooler, though one-sided, does tend to at least get enough air over the part, which seems to be what's most important, most of the time.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 31, 2015 04:58PM
Darathy
my fan duct was from this post and it fits perfectly, altho i will print thisone couse of more airflow

Hmm... I wonder if we've managed to ship two different fan spacers with Ormerod. If one fits, I don't think the other one will. I'll try and remember to check tomorrow.
This is the earlier one: [github.com]
This is the current one: [github.com]

Ian
June 01, 2015 12:38AM
well, this newer revision of the duct fits much higher up and seems to work fine for me. I'll use in in an actual print later this week to see how well it works. This jointed dragon's head has been giving me a lot of trouble without cooling [www.thingiverse.com]

The OP didn't have anything about mounting the fan to the duct, but I drilled the duct holes out with a 2.5mm bit and M3 screws self tap into it. I think 30mm would be the right length, but I only had 40mm screws on hand I wound up cutting to length.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 12:43AM by shadow651.
June 01, 2015 04:44AM
Where can I find a dxf/stl of the acrylic fan spacer as used on Ormerod 2
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 04:47AM by johneato.
June 01, 2015 05:23AM
droftarts
Darathy

Hmm... I wonder if we've managed to ship two different fan spacers with Ormerod. If one fits, I don't think the other one will. I'll try and remember to check tomorrow.
This is the earlier one: [github.com]
This is the current one: [github.com]

Ian

I definetly have thisone: [github.com]

shadow651
well, this newer revision of the duct fits much higher up and seems to work fine for me. I'll use in in an actual print later this week to see how well it works. This jointed dragon's head has been giving me a lot of trouble without cooling [www.thingiverse.com]

The OP didn't have anything about mounting the fan to the duct, but I drilled the duct holes out with a 2.5mm bit and M3 screws self tap into it. I think 30mm would be the right length, but I only had 40mm screws on hand I wound up cutting to length.

yes thats what i did aswell. I used some screws that were left from my Ormerod 2 build to tap it in and thats a really cool dragon ,i will have to make one myself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 05:30AM by Darathy.
June 01, 2015 08:41AM
Darathy
thats a really cool dragon ,i will have to make one myself

If you do you might have to look at the remix I did of it, the original entry had too many manifold errors to work with slic3r 1.2.6 for me. I ran it through a mesh repair and reposted it as a remix.

johneato
Where can I find a dxf/stl of the acrylic fan spacer as used on Ormerod 2
John

I assume this is in one of RRP Github repositories, but they're in the middle of reorganizing right now so everything is a mess! I wasn't able to find it. Maybe Ian has a better idea of where it might be, or if it's made it onto a repository yet. The spacer is relatively new....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 08:41AM by shadow651.
June 01, 2015 02:38PM
Any chance Ian of a copy of the acylic spacer as a dxf?
June 02, 2015 07:18AM
The Quick-set hot end is separate from the machine github repositories, as the same design is now used across Huxley Duo, Mendel 3 and Ormerod 2 (528.5 onwards, about to be updated). It's here: [github.com]

While Ormerod 2 up to 528.4 ships with the one-piece nozzle rather than the Quick-set nozzle, the fan spacer is the same. I think there was a different, earlier, version of it shipping with the Ormerod 2 (528.1 and 528.2 maybe?), but I can't find a dxf of that version. I've just uploaded the current version (it was missing), which should fit the current fan duct, here: [github.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
June 02, 2015 07:50AM
The newer vent seemed to work quite well for me, I was now able to print that dragon head successfully.

For the most part this vent works quite well, although there was perhaps a very slight amount of warping on the low X side opposite the vent. However, this warping is much less than before.

I remember seeing a fan mount that went onto the X arm on the low side, maybe a second fan in parallel with the first mounted there would provide enough extra cooling..... But for now I'm happy with the current setup.

I do have some concerns that the duct might hit the mounting screw holding the heated bed though, might have to swap out the M3x25 with a M3x20. I guess I'll see if it winds up being an issue.
June 02, 2015 07:53AM
i had that issue so u shortened the screw holding the bed.

I also Printed this Duct and it does not fit as the old one did. it can bearly hold itself on the acrylic spacer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 08:10AM by Darathy.
June 02, 2015 09:19AM
Darathy
I also Printed this Duct and it does not fit as the old one did. it can bearly hold itself on the acrylic spacer.

I guess we must have different versions of the spacer. I wonder what exactly the difference is, I'll also have to check the second hotend I ordered to see if that spacer looks the same as the one I originally got.
June 02, 2015 09:37AM
the position is almost the same ,but the space where the acrylic seems just a bit wider ,and i can only see 1 ball thing where it would fit into the 2 holes.

Also i can not open the solidworks files for the new duct so i could tweak it, dont know why ,but i get an error opening them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 09:39AM by Darathy.
June 02, 2015 09:49AM
nevermind i found an old Solidworks file with the duct and modified thatone instead so it has a bigger output ,hopefully it will work smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login