Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2nd fan duct for acrylic spacer

Posted by Darathy 
Re: 2nd fan duct for acrylic spacer
June 02, 2015 09:49AM
The difference is length, and perhaps the width, of the fan spacer arm that holds the fan duct. We did one originally for the Ormerod, then changed it so it would fit on the Huxley Duo, and carry the proximity sensor, then tweaked it for the Mendel 3 (just holes for cables, as far as I remember). I could probably ask the designer to generate dxf files for all of them (I think SolidWorks keeps the history of parts), but I'm not sure it would achieve anything. One or other of the fan ducts should fit!

Darathy: If you download the parts individually, rather than downloading the whole github repository, make sure you download the ‘RAW’ version of the file; if you right-click on a link in a file list and download, you will end up with a file with the right name and ending, but it will actually be an html document!

Edit: Also, most of our more recent files are done in SolidWorks 2015. You may get an error if you try and open them in SolidWorks 2014.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 09:51AM by droftarts.
June 02, 2015 10:10AM
droftarts
The difference is length, and perhaps the width, of the fan spacer arm that holds the fan duct. We did one originally for the Ormerod, then changed it so it would fit on the Huxley Duo, and carry the proximity sensor, then tweaked it for the Mendel 3 (just holes for cables, as far as I remember). I could probably ask the designer to generate dxf files for all of them (I think SolidWorks keeps the history of parts), but I'm not sure it would achieve anything. One or other of the fan ducts should fit!

Darathy: If you download the parts individually, rather than downloading the whole github repository, make sure you download the ‘RAW’ version of the file; if you right-click on a link in a file list and download, you will end up with a file with the right name and ending, but it will actually be an html document!

Edit: Also, most of our more recent files are done in SolidWorks 2015. You may get an error if you try and open them in SolidWorks 2014.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

That explains it then ,i'm using 2014 ;(
June 02, 2015 10:19AM
I believe RRP have upgraded to solidworks 2015, and the format for files in this version has changed, making most of the imports for other CAD packages reject the new files.

Closed source software at its best.

Lloyd
June 02, 2015 10:43AM
I figured out a way to convert proprietary cad files to something freecad can use (using grabcad workbench, which is now free), typically I use .step. Sadly you lose all of the history of the object in question, only getting the object itself. But it sure beats shelling out a few grand for software.

I haven't treid 2015 solidworks files, but I think I've done some 2014 files. You might even be able to convert 2015 to 2014.....

you can see my post in this thread for more info [forums.reprap.org]
June 02, 2015 11:55AM
We need to do STEP assemblies of our machines; that's missing from the github repositories at the moment (though STEP assemblies of older versions are available). Unfortunately, to be at all productive, we need to use a decent CAD program. We've tried others, but SolidWorks works best for us, and is an engineering standard. Also, we needed another SolidWorks licence (yes, we pay for it!) and could only get 2015 (which also has some handy new features for us), so updated to that. It still doesn't sit entirely comfortably with us, as we'd prefer to use open source, free software, but FreeCAD and OpenSCAD just aren't there yet for serious engineering. Our source files, though they are SolidWorks files, are at least open and available.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
June 02, 2015 12:02PM
Solidworks for me is easy(well i havent figured evrything out yet) ,OpenSCAD i just cant figure out sad smiley
June 02, 2015 12:42PM
Hi

I understand the requirements Ian and sympathize. Time versus availability etc, my comments were not meant as critism just help for others, unfortunately as you say thats the state of the CAD industry today.

I have tried GrabCad but that was determined to make anything I posted and converted into .STEP freely open and available to others, which without posting the relevant open licenses would mean I would be in infringement of the RRP license agreements etc.

So, I stopped using it.

Not sure even posting modded versions of RRP's designs on Thingiverse without also posting the license doesn't do this to.

Lloyd
June 02, 2015 01:21PM
ezwul
Hi

I understand the requirements Ian and sympathize. Time versus availability etc, my comments were not meant as critism just help for others, unfortunately as you say thats the state of the CAD industry today.

I have tried GrabCad but that was determined to make anything I posted and converted into .STEP freely open and available to others, which without posting the relevant open licenses would mean I would be in infringement of the RRP license agreements etc.

So, I stopped using it.

Not sure even posting modded versions of RRP's designs on Thingiverse without also posting the license doesn't do this to.

Lloyd

Well, I've only used grabcad to convert to step, and then downloaded them for use in freecad. I don't think it'll post anything until you say it's done or something.

I don't doubt that solidworks is much better, designing parts in openscad or freecad can be a royal pain... but I do it so rarely it's not worth whatever solidworks costs these days.
Cubify design seems like a better program vs free ones at an affordable price, but you can't export anything but .STL from it, so that's worthless for sharing.

I guess I'm not sure about all of the legal implications of putting things on thingiverse, but I haven't heard about RRP going after anyone for it (and I doubt they would, unless it was some extreme violation).... I guess if it was an issue you'd have to put everything on github instead; which just makes it harder for people to find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 01:22PM by shadow651.
June 02, 2015 06:11PM
droftarts
The Quick-set hot end is separate from the machine github repositories, as the same design is now used across Huxley Duo, Mendel 3 and Ormerod 2 (528.5 onwards, about to be updated). It's here: [github.com]

While Ormerod 2 up to 528.4 ships with the one-piece nozzle rather than the Quick-set nozzle, the fan spacer is the same. I think there was a different, earlier, version of it shipping with the Ormerod 2 (528.1 and 528.2 maybe?), but I can't find a dxf of that version. I've just uploaded the current version (it was missing), which should fit the current fan duct, here: [github.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Reply Quote Report
Thanks very much Ian for the dxf. I have machined the spacer with 4mm polycarbonate and it fits perfectly.
John
June 02, 2015 09:54PM
Darathy
i had that issue so u shortened the screw holding the bed.

I just cut the screw shorter with a pair of long armed dikes. Didn't feel like taking the screw out and having to re-level the bed.

Ian, probably should change this screw to a 20mm long one for future kits......
June 03, 2015 05:47AM
shadow651
Darathy
i had that issue so u shortened the screw holding the bed.

I just cut the screw shorter with a pair of long armed dikes. Didn't feel like taking the screw out and having to re-level the bed.

Ian, probably should change this screw to a 20mm long one for future kits......

I just used a Dremel to cut it ,it was ruining a print for me .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login