Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgraded printer parts

Posted by Radian 
Upgraded printer parts
April 20, 2015 05:55PM
My hot end support seems to have gone into melt-down.

I'm still running with all original Ormerod 1 parts (apart from my capacitive Z probe) but I'm sure in the last year and a bit plenty of improved part designs have come out - only problem is finding the best ones (finding anything on these forums is hard enough). Any kind sole(s) here care to point to any "must have" upgraded part designs or clue me in to where best to look...

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
Re: Upgraded printer parts
April 20, 2015 06:18PM
Sorry to hear of your problems. Which part has gone into melt.down, the nozzle.mount or the X-carriage? Are you printing PLA or ABS? Is the hot end fan working?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 21, 2015 05:23AM
Original O1 parts can be found here: [github.com]

But there's also a wiki page with plenty of upgraded parts here: [reprap.org]
April 21, 2015 05:52AM
It's only the nozzle mount separated from the hot metal by a piece of MDF. The X-carriage it fits to seems fine. I am only printing PLA but Iv'e briefly taken the hot end up to ABS printing temps while developing the Z probe. There may have been the odd accident where the Fan stopped during a print which would make it overheat though.

The cap head screws securing the nozzle have partly pulled through the mount which tilts the whole nozzle assembly. I was wondering if anyone found a way to improve on the original design where the bolts have to slide into the edge of the block. It gives even less support in this fairly important area. I see Ormerod 2 hasn't changed in this area.

April 21, 2015 05:54AM
zombiepantslol
Original O1 parts can be found here: [github.com]

But there's also a wiki page with plenty of upgraded parts here: [reprap.org]

Thanks, that's great - the wiki looks super-useful.

April 21, 2015 06:41AM
Radian
The cap head screws securing the nozzle have partly pulled through the mount which tilts the whole nozzle assembly. I was wondering if anyone found a way to improve on the original design where the bolts have to slide into the edge of the block. It gives even less support in this fairly important area.

Yes, see [www.thingiverse.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 21, 2015 07:40AM
Hi Radian

Welcome back and thanks much for your help with the Duet!, here's some of the upgrades I find usefull, ad to that Dave's aluminium x-axis and dc42's dambuster probe + PanelDue

Number 192's new-nozzle-mount
[forums.reprap.org]

johneato's Control air to the nozzles (I drilled out the air slots for max airflow)
[forums.reprap.org]

dmould's fan deflector (let more air through than kwikius/dc42's version)
[forums.reprap.org]

zombiepantslol's Improved Z lower mount ("I decided to replace the countersunk screws with regular M4 x 12 cylinder head screws after I noticed that my original ABS part had broken"
[forums.reprap.org]

bobtidey's redesigned z nut trap "I also thought the mounting hole on the nut trap is a bit feeble and does not give much support to the nut and bolt"
[forums.reprap.org]

VynZ's One-piece Ormerod bed support "The MDF bed provided with the Ormerod is too floppy and is better replaced with an aluminium one. The problem is the complex cut-outs required (usually laser cut) to fit this on the bed support means that normal people cannot cut this"

Best to print in PLA, ABS will flex a bit too much IMHO

[www.thingiverse.com]

Better isolation under the heatbed, radiator foil (disclamer, will melt at 150C degrees)
[forums.reprap.org]

Pointy's X Idler Hub Bracket and Belt Hub
[forums.reprap.org]

MasonStonehenge's spring-loaded extruder (with PTFE tube)
[www.thingiverse.com]

iamburny's Extruder Gears
[www.thingiverse.com]

..or dc42's mod of iamburny's extruder gears (adjustable hole sizes)
[www.thingiverse.com]

Thorsen's Extra support for the extruder
[www.thingiverse.com]

iamburnys Replacement Duet Enclosure "Original part modified for greater strength and larger holes for power,sd,ethernet, usb also additional mounting point"
[www.thingiverse.com]

Pointy's Duet Bed Heater Connector Box Header "Before I fitted my replacement Duet, I decided to make a simple part to stop the ribbon cable from being misaligned"
[forums.reprap.org]

Pictorials of my rebuilds, aluminium y-end parts, brass nut for treaded rod, securing the z-extrusion etc.

Rebuild of Blitza's Ormerod1
[forums.reprap.org]

Ormerod Bigfoot mod!
[forums.reprap.org]

Black dust no more
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
April 21, 2015 07:42AM
Perfect! I'm slowly finding my way around again - hopefully will stop acting like a noob soon.

April 21, 2015 08:31AM
Radian
Perfect! I'm slowly finding my way around again - hopefully will stop acting like a noob soon.

Noobs are more than welcome - Some newcomers have come up with better solutions to a few well-known issues. Sometimes knowing what solutions are commonly used limits the ability to think up something more radical, and having an "untainted" mind is an advantage.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login