Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hello, Im trying to improve my print quality with a new pla fillament, here is what it looks like now

Posted by victhor 
Hello, Im trying to improve my print quality with a new pla fillament, here is what it looks like now:

( More images: [imgur.com] )

I've tried printing in diffrent temps (using the Slic3r settings RepRap set for the Ormerod) 210*c gave me the best result, where do I go from here?

Here are some of my settings:
perimeters: 70mm/s, small perimeters 30mm/s, gap fill 30mm/s, bridges 70mm/s
layers & perimeters: 0.1mm, 3 solid top layers, 2 solid bottom layers
retraction: lenght 1mm, speed 30mm/s, retract on layerchange, move while retracting

This is printed with the same settings as the test pieces, the black fillament came with my printer but it costs like freaking 50 pounds per roll while the fillament I try to print with now costs 23

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(ill edit this later, i have to take the dog for a walk right now)

Youtube: [www.youtube.com] 3D printing videos
3D Hub: [www.3dhubs.com] Pictures of stuff I've printed
Thingyverse: [www.thingiverse.com] More pictures
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Here are a couple of things you could try:

- Increase retraction speed to 40mm/s and the retraction distance to 4.5mm
- Decrease the maximum print speed to 60mm/s. On my machine the prints become somewhat blurry if I print faster than 60-65mm/s.
- Try to print layer heights of 0.2mm instead of 0.1mm. It's usually a good idea to use thicker layers so you get some proper values you can fine-tune later
Increase your retraction to 4mm and it will get rid of the stringing. Use a layer height of 0.2mm or 0.25mm (0.1mm is possible but more tricky to get right and does not give many advantages). 70mm/s print speed should be OK, but try slowing to 50mm/s and see if it makes a big difference. A single small column will melt and deform which is what I think happened to the boss in your hotter trial print - try putting 2 or 3 of your part onto the plater in Slic3r (i.e. print more than one part at a time) so that you do not have any single small columns. Some filaments are not good quality, but you can get good filaments for a lot less than £50/kg. I use 3dfilaprint.com but there are many other places that sell good quality filament for £20/kg or less.

Dave
I use 3dfilaprint as well as a supplier on ebay, usually pay around £20-24 per kg roll, never bought black though, maybe dearer??

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
sadly the fillament that comes with printer is extremly good but way too expensive ,i can get some really nice prints with it. While with the fillament i curently have i get such messy prints that i am considering of throwing the whole KG of it in the trash bin.

Notice the poor bridiging and random holes in the layers , with the same settings i get that part perfect with the fillament that comes with the printer.

Anyone have any suggestions where to buy a good fillament at the right price?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 02:01PM by Darathy.
Darathy
sadly the fillament that comes with printer is extremly good but way too expensive ,i can get some really nice prints with it. While with the fillament i curently have i get such messy prints that i am considering of throwing the whole KG of it in the trash bin.
[attachment 53690 DSC_0009.jpg]
Notice the poor bridiging and random holes in the layers , with the same settings i get that part perfect with the fillament that comes with the printer.

www.hobbyking.com ESUN filament at around £12 per Kg in the uk you need to select the correct warehouse for your location mind else carriage can get stupid.

ABS is cheaper than PLA but both are good quality filaments.

Doug
I buy my filament from Galactic Warehouse (aka seller latest-bidder on eBay), and I get good results from it - in particular, I can print direct on glass with their PLA. It's also esun filament. But hobbyking sounds as though it may be a cheaper source.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
I agree with dc42, I've been using the same supplier as he is using (Galatic Warehouse, latest-bidder) and I have been since the supplied RS filament ran out in April 2014. The colours I've used are black, white, orange, blue, red, yellow, light green and dark green and I've not had any problems that I can trace to the filament quality. I keep the reels in zip lock bags with the supplied silica gel in the 'office' room with the printer.

RayC40

Ray
Darathy

Looking at your picture I would suggest that you look at trying to dry out your filament. Do you ever hear little popping sounds when printing? It looks as if the filament has moisture in it which causes small little craters while printing because the water turns to steam and 'bursts' when it hits the hot end. Sometimes it's sufficient to simply pack the filament in a bag with a lot of desiccant for a while, but either way it should be stored in a sealed ziplock bag with a couple of silica sachets.

The bridging issues change from filament to filament, and normally relates to too little cooling, or too high a temperature. I made a change to my cooling system to bring cooling from all directions at once, as well as an anti-turbulence mod for the fan to improve airflow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 08:05AM by VortyZA.
VortyZA
Darathy

Looking at your picture I would suggest that you look at trying to dry out your filament. Do you ever hear little popping sounds when printing? It looks as if the filament has moisture in it which causes small little craters while printing because the water turns to steam and 'bursts' when it hits the hot end. Sometimes it's sufficient to simply pack the filament in a bag with a lot of desiccant for a while, but either way it should be stored in a sealed ziplock bag with a couple of silica sachets.

The bridging issues change from filament to filament, and normally relates to too little cooling, or too high a temperature. I made a change to my cooling system to bring cooling from all directions at once, as well as an anti-turbulence mod for the fan to improve airflow.

Yes ,thank you for that ,i put the spool in the oven at 50C for 2hours and it has eliminated the bubbles for now , i am gona buy some vaccum storage bags and keep the fillament in there with some Silica packs. As for the cooling ,unfortinetly for now i have to do withought while i wait for the fan i ordered to arive. I will try galactic wearhouse ,Hobbyking has limited supply atleast in euro wearhouse sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 02:47PM by Darathy.
Darathy
VortyZA
Darathy

Yes ,thank you for that ,i put the spool in the oven at 50C for 2hours and it has eliminated the bubbles for now , i am gona buy some vaccum storage bags and keep the fillament in there with some Silica packs. As for the cooling ,unfortinetly for now i have to do withought while i wait for the fan i ordered to arive. I will try galactic wearhouse ,Hobbyking has limited supply atleast in euro wearhouse sad smiley

I have just checked the Euro warhouse and they seem to have a pretty good range actually and it is currently 14.61 Euro per Kg roll for PLA in solid colours (little more if you want luminous)

Doug
Where are you looking? i can see most are on backorder and only see 0.5kg rolls
Darathy
Where are you looking? i can see most are on backorder and only see 0.5kg rolls

Ah I see I didntt actually check stock can you order from the UK warehouse also what colour's are you after.

Doug

If it's on back order it is worth keep checking as they could get a new shipment regularly.
If you want the HobbyKing filament you could order from their "International" warehouse (Hong Kong). It will then take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive IME (and if you are unlucky it will get held up in customs and you will have to pay import duty).

Dave
dmould
..I use 3dfilaprint.com but there are many other places that sell good quality filament for £20/kg or less.

Dave

Ditto, my first 12kg. was from that site, great quality, ditto service (answered my mail late Friday evening when I got stuck in the cart)

printed with filament from 3dfilaprint.com:

[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
Have used following filaments so far:

* white delived with ormerod from reprappro house brand PLA
* babyblue, from reprappro house brand PLA
mid ranking, because its quite expensive. Results are good

* Innofil bronce PLA
not most expensive, not the cheapest price; quality is very good; tough flexibility

* formfutura PremiumPLA: solar yellow and transparent
good price quality; results are good; a little too brittle

* formfutura EasyFill: black
price vs. quality??; results are good; tough flexibility; first layer is very hard to handle, bad adhesion on kapton and blue tape, requires very slow first layer speed 5 or less mm/sec.
my last choice
[3dfilaprint.com]
[colorfabb.com] (very good special filaments)
I am also happy with the black filament of [dr3dfilament.com]
information
[dr3dfilament.com]

Happy printing!
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
www.3dfilaments.ie - We are supplying quality 3d ABS and PLA filaments for £13.70 1kg spool. For bulk orders we have hudge discounts. We sending free sample packs, so you can check quality. We are based in Ireland. Orders to UK will take 48 hours. Our filaments was tested on Makerbot and work perfectly. Nice colours made from italian pigments. Filaments are made from US materials. Anybody interesting to receive free samples ?smiling smiley
3d filaments
www.3dfilaments.ie - We are supplying quality 3d ABS and PLA filaments for £13.70 1kg spool. For bulk orders we have hudge discounts. We sending free sample packs, so you can check quality. We are based in Ireland. Orders to UK will take 48 hours. Our filaments was tested on Makerbot and work perfectly. Nice colours made from italian pigments. Filaments are made from US materials. Anybody interesting to receive free samples ?smiling smiley

I'm game! What I will most want to test is whether I can print it direct on glass, the way I can with Esun PLA filament. My address is at [eschertech.com]. Thanks in advance!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
dc42 Thank you for interesting . I will send you samples tomorrow. Can't wait for your review smiling smiley
3d filaments
www.3dfilaments.ie - Anybody interesting to receive free samples ?smiling smiley

yes please...1.75 PLA only
my address by PM

Thanks
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
3d filaments

I to am game to try your filament I have sent a PM with my address on it thanks

Doug
dc42
3d filaments

I'm game! What I will most want to test is whether I can print it direct on glass, the way I can with Esun PLA filament. My address is at [eschertech.com]. Thanks in advance!

Dave

I have recently started trying ABS directly onto Glass with an ABS slurry and it seems to work really well (this is ESUN filament) so will be interesting to see how you get on with the samples?

Doug
I'll try too.
I'll PM my address

Jon
3d filaments

yes please I would like to try 1.75 PLA filament
please PM for my address.

Thanks

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
dougal1957
I have recently started trying ABS directly onto Glass with an ABS slurry and it seems to work really well (this is ESUN filament) so will be interesting to see how you get on with the samples?
Doug

I have used ABS slurry direct onto a glass or aluminium build plate for over a year. It adheres better to aluminium coated in slurry than glass - but sometimes a bit too well and I battle to remove the part - but it sure stops the corners lifting (warping)! Also the slurry stays on the aluminium but on glass it lifts with the print, so glass needs a fresh slurry coat for each print but I only need to re-coat aluminium every 8 prints or so. Almost all my prints have used ABS filament purchased from 3dfilaprint.com (UK based), so I can vouch for the suitability and consistency of their ABS, and they appear to be fast (usually arrives on 2nd day after order) and have very reasonable prices. They also supply in vacuum sealed bags and automatically include empty ziplock bags & silica gel to store the opened reel, and usually chuck in a few free samples of less usual filaments or some other interesting "goodie" as well as offering inexpensive small (10m) sample lengths of most filaments so you can try before you buy.

Dave
3d filaments

If possible I would like to try 1,75 PLA.
please PM for my adress

Thanks
3d filaments

Is it posible to get free sample in slovenia? i would be interested for 1.75 PLA ,PM for address
Thanks everyone! it now prints like the picture with the black fillament, no blobbing, no stringing JUST PERFECT PRINTS grinning smiley

Youtube: [www.youtube.com] 3D printing videos
3D Hub: [www.3dhubs.com] Pictures of stuff I've printed
Thingyverse: [www.thingiverse.com] More pictures
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Thank you all for interesting with 3D Filaments. All samples has been send. Waiting for your reviews. Is anybody else looking to test our filaments? Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login