Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not homing Z axis.

Posted by Europa 
Not homing Z axis.
May 15, 2015 08:58AM
I seem to be having a few problems.

I am currently running DC42s 1.04 firmware and have just updated ZPLs web interface from 1.05 to 1.06.

If I run home all it works just fine, if I home just the Z axis it comes half way along the z axis and then lowers to crash the bed! I have the same G1 X54 Y5 code in both macros, why is the Z macro failing.

The other issue I am having is with the web interface, it throws an error if I try to upload a file to the sys folder, although I did manage to get one file to initially upload.

I am baffled, please help.

Brian
Re: Not homing Z axis.
May 15, 2015 01:14PM
Europa
If I run home all it works just fine, if I home just the Z axis it comes half way along the z axis and then lowers to crash the bed! I have the same G1 X54 Y5 code in both macros, why is the Z macro failing.

I presume that before homing just Z, you had already homed X and Y, so that the G1 X54 Y5 command moved the head t the right place. Can you post the contents of your homez.g and homeall.g files?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 15, 2015 04:25PM
Hi Dave, no if I just click home Z it goes to the wrong position and crashes the bed, if I hit homeall it does both X and Y correctly and then Z correctly and to the right place, X54 Y5. I have not tried homing Z after homing X and Y individually, I am away from home until Sunday evening now but can try it on my return.

Brian
May 15, 2015 04:27PM
Europa
Hi Dave, no if I just click home Z it goes to the wrong position and crashes the bed, if I hit homeall it does both X and Y correctly and then Z correctly and to the right place, X54 Y5. I have not tried homing Z after homing X and Y individually, I am away from home until Sunday evening now but can try it on my return.

Brian

Hi Brian,

you cannot home the Z axis before you homed the other axis.
May 15, 2015 06:26PM
Treito
Europa

Brian

Hi Brian,

you cannot home the Z axis before you homed the other axis.
The reason being is that the printer does not know what the bed position is before you home X & Y, so it cannot move the nozzle to the homing position.

Dave
May 16, 2015 05:20AM
Hi Dave, that is so strange, I am sure I have been able to home just Z in the past but it may be that the other two axis had already been homed without me realising.

Any thoughts on why I am having problems uploading files to the sys folder with Zpl's web control 1.06? I realise most people are now using this interface, up until now I have been using Ianburnys version which gave me no problems at all.

Brian
May 16, 2015 05:30AM
It might be worth putting the SD card into a PC and running chkdsk in case the SD card file.structure is corrupt.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 16, 2015 05:30AM
Homing of Z may work if the bed and the head are positioned in a good place but probably it will fail especially if you use paper pieces for the homing.
May 16, 2015 06:18AM
Europa
Hi Dave, that is so strange, I am sure I have been able to home just Z in the past but it may be that the other two axis had already been homed without me realising.
Brian

When you switch on the printer, the X and Y positions are reset to 0,0 So if you switch on when the nozzle is close to the 0,0 position it will appear to work, but if they are far away from 0,0 then X and/or Y will be driven into the end-stop.

Dave
May 16, 2015 01:26PM
Thank you both Daves, it makes sense, one almost needs a safeguard to ensure "home Z" cannot be run before X and Y have been homed. Would it be possible to add code to home Z to check for 0 on both X and Y before homing?

An interesting point about the SD card, I will run chkdsk. I am more concerned though about the integrity of the SD card socket on the Duet board. Whenever I take it out and put it back in I have to do this several times before it will read correctly and I have two SD cards, both display the same behaviour, I sincerely hope the socket is not about to fail as I have only had my Ormerod 2 for around three months!

Brian
May 16, 2015 01:36PM
Europa
Thank you both Daves, it makes sense, one almost needs a safeguard to ensure "home Z" cannot be run before X and Y have been homed. Would it be possible to add code to home Z to check for 0 on both X and Y before homing?

My firmware fork used to do exactly that, however some of the relevant code is missing in versions 1.00 onwards. I'll fix it in my forthcoming 1.09 release.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login